collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Activity in you area  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Gametaker23

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks unlimites
Activity in you area
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Im from Central was. Just curious what everyone is and has experienced in the field with the turkey last few days I was out last weekend and it was action packed go out this am and not a peep but a few quick gobbles then nothing it's usually still very active usually get my bird this time of year just wanna see what others r seeing and any advice to what we should be doing to up the success a lil good luck to everyone still out chasing there bird thanks for any input in advance

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Activity in you area
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Birds were really vocal where we were. Still a few heading into the high country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
the last few weekends I've heard nothing. I've been in 2 different locations both in central and can't find a bird to save my life right now. I just end up morel hunting more then turkey hunting right now.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
Are you up high Cab? We got both birds this last week at almost 4000’. Both were in the timber.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »
Are you up high Cab? We got both birds this last week at almost 4000’. Both were in the timber.

I started the season around 2000-2400 and last weekend was around 3000. I had birds for a few weeks and now its like they are gone. same happened last year which is frustrating but thats why I shed hunt and mushroom hunt at the same time.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »

I started the season around 2000-2400 and last weekend was around 3000. I had birds for a few weeks and now its like they are gone. same happened last year which is frustrating but thats why I shed hunt and mushroom hunt at the same time.
They go through cycles per say on activity and breeding so you could be in a lull right now. Kind of like a roller coaster.
Happens every season and we as hunters start second guessing our calling then the next week it picks up again.

Offline Gametaker23

• Tracker
  • Groups: Ducks unlimites
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
On Sunday the 13th I went out to my spot and started hiking an hour before light to get close to where I had birds busting off the last few times I was out. I sat and didn't hear anything for the first 3.5 hours I was completing my loop I take and ass I get close to my next setup I used my peacock locator call. I got a gobble down below me three hundred plus yards I began calling to him.very soft with purrs cuts and some yelps. After my sequence I sat for about ten minutes having him gobble four times before I even made a response his.gobblra began to sound.further aways so I cut about 250 yrds between us andd got in position  and settled for a shot opportunity. As I did this he gobbled about 75 yards below me  I then again allowed him to gobble three times I then reaponded with a few long purrs and a couple yelps and boom he was thirty yards below me and gobbled once more he then popped up about ten yards in front of me looking for his hen I took one shot and dropped a beautiful mature bird. I can't post pictures or I would. If I could say anything silence is not an enemy at this time of year call sofly and sparingly. And allow the Tom gobble work his emotions don't let him control the situation. Good luck everyone still time to get out and enjoy this beautiful time of year and gods creations

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »

That's good advice. I've been hunting too low. The canyon I hunt was stacked with birds a week before the opener, haven't heard/seen a bird since. I'll look higher and report back.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »

That's good advice. I've been hunting too low. The canyon I hunt was stacked with birds a week before the opener, haven't heard/seen a bird since. I'll look higher and report back.

Well how did the hunt go? Any luck?

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »
terrible for me, didn't hear a single bird or see any sign after hiking around 10 miles.   :bash:

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
My buddy shot a decent Tom this last weekend.  I was calling, he had 4 hens with him and did not make a peep until we where within 100 yards.  I got real aggressive and he responded with a very weak gobble and then started counting his hens again.  A little Iwo Jima crawl to cut the yardage and he met his fate.  He was really henned up

Offline Big game archer

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
Activity has been very hot and cold for me lately. Filled my second tag on Friday... Called in a big tom at 2:30 pm and he cam running from about 300 yards out, but once he saw my strutter decoy (about 75 yards out at this point), he turned and walked away totally disinterested. Had constant hens yelping back to me for the next hour, so i decided to go to a vantage point and put binos on them. Lo and behold, there are 6 toms out there in the field with three hens and 8 jakes just feeding and being dead silent (no interest at all in my calls). Then, an hour later, one of them comes running into 30 yards and I shot it. Funny how their mood can change that quickly.

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:15 PM »

Well how did the hunt go? Any luck?

Still trying to fill my tag in central WA. Was over there last week and saw nothing!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]