collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tom/hen ratios.  (Read 1582 times)

Offline birdmanwa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Tom/hen ratios.
« on: May 14, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a ratio for Toms to hens that is considered "healthy" population. It seems every year the birds are henned up later and later. Heck I think some birds have hens all season long in parts of the state. I mainly hunt the NE for reference. It seemed before the big winter kills, it was very easy to find bachelor groups of toms. Not saying too many hens are a bad thing I just wonder if the population balance is off?
Support WWA.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Tom/hen ratios.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
Turkey populations are usually close to 1:1.  Gobblers experience the majority of mortality during the spring breeding season, whereas hen mortality is more spread out through the nesting and brood rearing seasons.  Thus the proportion of toms is lowest at the end of breeding (spring season).  Higher numbers of hens with toms later in the spring season usually indicates an increase in nest predation and/or loss of hatchlings to cool wet weather, predation and/or starvation (low bug numbers at hatching during colder than normal springs).  Most hens that lose first clutches/broods will renest, typically with smaller clutch sizes, but they are likely to distract toms later in the season.  When nest predation rates are low, most of the hens will be incubating by the first week of May and there will be few hens to be seen, making toms travel more and easier to call in. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline birdmanwa

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
Turkey populations in the NE are not 1:1. There will be toms with 10-20 hens all season most of the time and it really started after those big winter kills. I'm just curious what/if there are any management strategies for turkeys. Granted our state probably won't do anything or care but I'm just curious.
Support WWA.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
*censored*, in the winter I see more like 100 hens to Toms.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Online zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
In the Quilomene this year for me 2 Toms to every Hen

Up by Colville this year  1 Tom to about 10-12 Hens
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Big game archer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
I hunt the NE corner as well. While i do see some toms who have 20 hens to themselves, I also see groups with twice as many toms as hens. I've also seen more jakes this year than i've ever seen before, so there should be lots of toms next year again.

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
14-0, Should be fun hunting 2 year olds next year.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:43:44 AM »
There are always groups of hens that do not breed. See it every year...up close and personal. The toms will hang around them after the breeders start sitting on nests.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »
1/2 the season I had one tom with 21 hens roosting above the house now these a lot more hens and 3 more Tom's and a bunch of Jakes.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal