collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bad day in Neah bay  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: bad day in Neah bay
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
Neah Bay is no joke.  It can be smooth as glass or rolling 20 footers. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »

That is no joke, I've only fished it a few times, one time we were out at swiftsure in a 21 foot sled and a storm started quicker than expected. I was sort of wondering if we were going to get in trouble until we got in past tattoosh.  :yike:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline shootem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
Well put Madmax. Even if you are careful on big water you can be screwed in an instant.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »

That is no joke, I've only fished it a few times, one time we were out at swiftsure in a 21 foot sled and a storm started quicker than expected. I was sort of wondering if we were going to get in trouble until we got in past tattoosh.  :yike:
No way I’d go to Swift sure in a sled, last time we were there it was the last time! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »
haha too funny.  That is why I havent been back in 5 years.  I thought for sure I was going to die.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »
I dropped down to an 18ft Duck
I stay inside now, even there it can get dicey on big tide and wind days
I do wear my lifejacket as I go alone alot
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 06:30:31 PM »
one of our favorite sea bass spots that produce every year is thru the gap around the corner towards Makah bay.  I don't fish, I have to constantly run the boat to keep it out of the the rocks and we kill the fish every year.  It's like work for me while my crew enjoys and laughs as they smoke the bass. There are two rocks in this little harbor that don't show, only with a 2 ft to minus tide. With swells the rocks are not even apparent to others. I seen a boat in there following us and he was too far north and a swell came up and as it dropped just in front of his boat I seen the rock show, told the guys pull up the rods asap and ran over to tell him get out of there.  I have Navionics chip but some rocks are not shown on the system, especially with tides and swells that can make up to 20 ft difference in the elevation of the water.  IF those guys were fishing in the gap on that day they made a huge mistake and drifted towards the mainland where the rocks are. There is a small gap to go thru and outside of that you are flirting with disaster.

Offline Windwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »

Been out there enough for 'butts and I am over the craving to fish in the ocean for halibut.
Figure I've got enough 'sea' time- Now I prefer to stay on the inside.

Fishing can be so enjoyable but there is a learning curve on boating safety in the sound or ocean. Especially first time boat owners can hedge their bets and safety margin with a few considerations.

Others can chime in with their experiences. This may be as good a time as any to help out with advise. I figure grown ups do what they wish but when they take their kids on the water my hope is they have enough information to make good decisions.

Bad experiences with chopper gun fiberglass boats and substandard engines used to be the norm years ago. Build designs/construction took a back seat to safety. A lot of boat designs have changed for the better but good judgement, experience and luck still play a big role.  If you aren't sure about that first boat, find a marine surveyor to help.

One recommendation for grown ups- have enough Auto Inflatable PFD's that everyone wears one. They are so comfortable you forget they are on.
A Mustang or Cabelas brand Auto Inflatable PFD worn at all times is better than any PFD stored under the chains in the anchor locker.
Also have regular PFDs (bulky uncomfortable but safe) to use as extras or just in case.

Wear a PFD..make your kids wear a PFD- if they are large enough and gripe try out the auto inflatable ones. (check the size requirements) 

Check the weather - Winds typically come up at 3-4pm everyday. Plan accordingly.
Low freeboard open bow boats and waves are a recipe for disaster.
Do not let your kids- or anyone ride in the open bow when you are screaming across the waves. Propellers do not stop and I won't explain what it has done to kids when they fall out and are run over.

Along with the radios and safety equipment- depending on the size of your boat.
A High bow, high transom, a back up or kicker motor and bilge pumps (more than one) are considered normal equipment on the sound.
Yes there are many who get away with 12' aluminum boats for close to shore fishing. Problem arises when the waves come up and get caught too far out from over confidence.
There are many old salts who have a lot of grit and get away with using small boats. Problem is there are others who don't.

Then there are dead heads, fuel management, equipment failures and booze.
A lot of very smart, well equipped folks have perished trying to earn a living or just out to enjoy a day on the water.
Be safe, and keep your kids safe.
Fishing/boating can be awesome out here.
Tight lines-   

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal