collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: is it worth getting into the points game?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: is it worth getting into the points game?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
Nope

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
There are tons of good hunts in the west that don’t take many points. Assuming you can make the time and pay the fees, no reason not to. Sure, some hunts are out of reach, but a generic statement that you are too late to start is just plain wrong.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:27 PM »
Nope
:yeah:

Its a tossup if you have 15 points now on whether to continue or not.  Zero points - no brainer - go somewhere else !

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
Nope
:yeah:

Its a tossup if you have 15 points now on whether to continue or not.  Zero points - no brainer - go somewhere else !

I think this is in reference to Washington Again I am Not considering putting in for wa hunts at all. looking for opinions on other western states besides Idaho where I live and obviously put in every year for what I can

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
If I was 50 and just starting out I'd be playing the draw game in Idaho, New Mexico and Wyoming.  Throw Colorado in for deer as long as you aren't hung up on a great unit.  At your age and with the current point structure you are too far behind the 8 ball for the great tags unless you get VERY lucky in the randoms.  That being said I still think you can still get some good tags. 

And yes I do think people become addicted to the point game, how many points they have can feed the ego, but I think one of the main reasons is it allows a guy to dream each year about the various tags he might draw.  If you run the math, I think you might be shocked at how much $$$$$ it takes to go ALL in on the points game.  too much imo which is why I pick and choose the states and species that I think I'll see a good return on, and I'm in my early 40's and have been playing the game for over 20 years.

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
Colorado has tons of options for guys just starting out, Wyoming as well.   Obviously, your home state of Idaho.   I'd throw Utah in there; apply for the LE hunts and hope to get lucky while hunting on a general tag every 2-3 years.

Draw odds are tough right now, but everything is cyclical.   When this economy slows down (particularly the building industry), tags get cheaper, draw odds improve, and I invest  :chuckle:

Offline Duckhunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
You'll never draw a tag you don't put in for. I started 5-6 years ago applying for tags as I could afford them. This year I was able to apply in CO, NV, MT, ID, AZ, UT and WA. I should have done NM also but thought I would be too busy if I drew and would be pretty strapped if my card got hit for a sheep tag. I am 31 and feel like I am already a little behind in the game, I wish I would have scraped every penny in college and been more aware of the point game across the west. I enjoy researching hunts and applying across the different states. It's definitely an investment. One I don't plan on making a lot of return on anytime soon, but like someone else mentioned if your name is in the hat you have an opportunity. If you hunt with a bow or muzz you also increase your odds in some states of drawing sooner. Lots of people only put in for the top units for each species, and put in for rifle hunts because they don't want to chance using up all their points and end up not filling their tags. Which is the way I may feel after 20+ years. But I don't mind putting in for them now with less skin in the game (points) because I just want to hunt! I want to explore new places and hunt animals I've never hunted. There are plenty of OTC opportunities to fill the gaps on years you don't draw.

Do some research, apply for less sought after tags that are still quality hunts and you will increase your odds. My buddy and I drew less sought after MT elk tags by applying for archery and killed two decent 6 points with our bows two years ago. My buddy applied for a moose permit in Idaho last year that everyone said was a terrible unit and he killed a P&Y bull on the third day. Granted he scouted his butt off, but by applying for less sought after tags and doing your homework you can still kill quality animals and not wait 25 years. Just takes a little more work and some more research.

Good luck! Id say its never too late. Someone has to draw.  :tup:

Clint

The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
 thanks for the feedback everyone. It helps confirm some things I was thinking. I did the same thing in Idaho and  put in for what is not considered and very good hunt but has great odds  and got a nice moose. Guess I just need to do some homework on some out of state hunting.  That's the hurdle for me is investing that time and money on the unknown when I could use it here where I feel like I already have a good base of knowledge. I thought if I did it I would go all in but I think I will go partially in!  :chuckle: I think the states I was seriously considering would be worth a go   

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »
In wa you probably have better odds buying a few raffle tickets
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
I'd invest if you have some areas in mind that might just take 3-4 years to draw and you don't have to deal with OTC hunters in the same unit. You've got OTC opportunities in your home state that'd take 5+ years to draw in Oregon, 10+ for Washington. Those once in a lifetime draw units usually take a lifetime of applications under a point system.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
No, Ponzi schemes (?) at best. I will be 62 and I am sitting on (now) 23 points for big horn, 20 for MT Goat, 19 for moose. No it is not worth it. If you want to hunt these go some place like Alaska where you can do it. Don't waste 19, 20 or 23 years waiting. There needs to be a system to grandfather your points to your grandchildren maybe they would have a chance......

If I just hunt Elk, deer and bear over the counter I am fine. Used to live in AK & took five moose. Life is too short, you only have so many sunsets choose to use them wisely.   
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
I'd invest if you have some areas in mind that might just take 3-4 years to draw and you don't have to deal with OTC hunters in the same unit. You've got OTC opportunities in your home state that'd take 5+ years to draw in Oregon, 10+ for Washington. Those once in a lifetime draw units usually take a lifetime of applications under a point system.
That is exactly what  I was wondering if some of the 5-10 year draw tags wouldn't even give me a better hunt than otc res.
That's part of the struggle is I can and do hunt otc deer,elk,bear and lion every year in Idaho and can get the guaranteed resident-  non resident deer and elk tag every year in Montana for about half price. So I don't need to fill any holes in my year with general or just ok hunts out of state. It would be ok to wait 5-10 years for a tag since I will be hunting every year in the meantime.  I feel I already have excellent hunts I can do in the general seasons and don't want to put a lot of effort into researching tags/areas that might be the same or slightly better than Idaho or Montana general seasons. All the input has been good thank you! I guess I just have to do more homework before I even decide to jump in. It sounds like Wyoming and Colorado(deer only) are worth it for a better hunt but I can still draw before I am dead? And then as a longshot since no points do new mexico every year. I appreciate the information just looking for the states maybe to start researchng hard first. I will always put in Idaho and Montana since I already hunt those states every year.         

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »
This year will be a change in Colorado. Lots of newcomers to he point game there so tags may not be as easy to get moving forward.  :twocents:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
There isn't a one-size fits all answer to this question, I think you need to consider several factors!  :twocents:

I think a person needs to look at the odds and points needed for the hunts you want plus you must figure it will get tougher with point creep as years go by verses the cost to go north or pay for a landowner tag or outfitter depending on the hunt desired. If you are a young person I would apply for and accumulate as many points as possible, you will outlive older persons already applying. In some cases especially for an older person, some hunts such as mountain goats or big elk, it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a hunt for 10k in Alaska or Canada or buy an outfitted hunt or a landowner tag, rather than apply and waste money applying in numerous states and never get drawn?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
There isn't a one-size fits all answer to this question, I think you need to consider several factors!  :twocents:

I think a person needs to look at the odds and points needed for the hunts you want plus you must figure it will get tougher with point creep as years go by verses the cost to go north or pay for a landowner tag or outfitter depending on the hunt desired. If you are a young person I would apply for and accumulate as many points as possible, you will outlive older persons already applying. In some cases especially for an older person, some hunts such as mountain goats or big elk, it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a hunt for 10k in Alaska or Canada or buy an outfitted hunt or a landowner tag, rather than apply and waste money applying in numerous states and never get drawn?

That makes sense I was wondering about landowner tags as an option but cant find a lot of information on them besides a  pretty limited list of tags for sale by tag brokers and I was told they double the price typically over the cost from the landowner. Everybody should and needs to make money but if they double the price that seems pretty excessive. I would buy an upper end landowner tag just to  experience one of those hunts one time.(I don't know what the actual cost would be) I guess  a bucket list item. It  does seem like a guide might actually save you money on some species mountain goat for sure. If I don't eventually draw that in Idaho or Montana I will go that route 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]