collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: out of the points game  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: out of the points game
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
You can't win if you don't play.  I'm always looking to win.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
I'm kinda a gambling man so I keep putting it.  My wife even says I might have a gambling problem but I tell her I have a winning problem I can't win.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:55 AM »
Beats the heck out of powerball...but much like da ball, it’s best to not count on winning.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »
Still in for Q until I draw then back to only Cows with zero, Bull points is at zero too cuz I drew both those at the same time. OIL till I draw or die or can't hunt anymore.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
I understand your thought process Vande. I am likely the minority as I tend to think Washington  has one of the better overall points systems.  Given what we have to work with. Sure their are certainly flaws and changes could drastically improve odds for those of us looking for a better bull hunt. But having munched on the greener grass,  its not much better. In essence, you can potentially hunt world class bulls in the blues for 50 dollars. It would take 20 years to have invested a grand in the system. So why not. Guys frequently go into a state BELIEVING that in 15 to 20 years they will draw that tag at an aplication fee of double that minimum. Suckers, the game departments are laffing all the way to the bank, and the first time theres a tough winter, wolves, added hunter pressure, etc..... where do u think cuts come from first? Not resident tags. Now if your looking to go OTC only, then i get it. But when it comes to top tier units odds of hunting them are slim, in some cases none no matter what. So why not apply for the cheapest ones possible.  Even if those odds only increase slightly.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
Somebody has to win.  I'm not going to self eliminate particularly when I live right here.

I would change the draw system in a heartbeat if I could.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
I will be right behind you, once my points are gone

At 55 years old I'm done once, if I finally get mine as well.....odds are I'd never draw again anyway.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
I understand your thought process Vande. I am likely the minority as I tend to think Washington  has one of the better overall points systems.  Given what we have to work with. Sure their are certainly flaws and changes could drastically improve odds for those of us looking for a better bull hunt. But having munched on the greener grass,  its not much better. In essence, you can potentially hunt world class bulls in the blues for 50 dollars. It would take 20 years to have invested a grand in the system. So why not. Guys frequently go into a state BELIEVING that in 15 to 20 years they will draw that tag at an aplication fee of double that minimum. Suckers, the game departments are laffing all the way to the bank, and the first time theres a tough winter, wolves, added hunter pressure, etc..... where do u think cuts come from first? Not resident tags. Now if your looking to go OTC only, then i get it. But when it comes to top tier units odds of hunting them are slim, in some cases none no matter what. So why not apply for the cheapest ones possible.  Even if those odds only increase slightly.

Totally understand and can fully agree with people who still apply and play the game. Hell, I apply in multiple other states as well. In my case, I know that as long as I draw a montana combo tag, I will at least be hunting deer there so for a few hundred extra bucks I can have an elk tag and hunt there too for branched bulls every year. The unit in Oregon we apply for takes about 3 points to draw an any elk tag so mix that in every 3-4 years plus Wyoming/Idaho and its just not worth buying and hoping to draw in Washington, for me personally.

If I had the intention to hunt general elk season here every year it would be different but since I don't, I just don't see the need to spend my money.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »
It's probably easy peasy to talk yourself into getting out of the points game when you have zero points.
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 01:04:57 PM »
It's probably easy peasy to talk yourself into getting out of the points game when you have zero points.
 :dunno:

100% agree and thus why i am still in the quality deer game. Once those points are gone I am done there as well but I will still buy a deer tag most likely because you can still hunt mature animals on the eastside and not just spikes and cows like elk.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
I can understand wanting to save the money especially when you have plenty of other opportunities to hunt elk in other states. But, it's only about $16 extra to apply for a Quality elk permit. That is if you're like me and are going to purchase a deer, bear, and cougar tag anyway. For me, $16 is all it costs to apply for a quality elk hunt, so I would do it even if I didn't have any points.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
I can understand wanting to save the money especially when you have plenty of other opportunities to hunt elk in other states. But, it's only about $16 extra to apply for a Quality elk permit. That is if you're like me and are going to purchase a deer, bear, and cougar tag anyway. For me, $16 is all it costs to apply for a quality elk hunt, so I would do it even if I didn't have any points.

I am only buying deer tag so its a bit different but agree that if i was already buying the tag, the permit fee would be ok. (Still way too high but that's for a different thread)

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 02:45:15 PM »
I'm done once I draw as well. I enjoy hunting out of state much more than I do Washington.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
It's all you thousands of guys staying in the game that are killing my odds!!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
vander, got your message but it still doesn't allow me to respond to you, says your box is still full. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]