collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: considering a food plot in the Teannaway.  (Read 3120 times)

Offline GrampasGuns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
considering a food plot in the Teannaway.
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
Ive got about a 4 acre meadow on my land that holds good moisture for most of spring and into the summer months.

I am considering planting something for the deer and elk and want a good protein mix to promote fawn survival and antler growth. Has anyone in this region had success with something other than alfalfa? I have water and some machinery to make the job easier, just not very knowledgeable what will grow well in this region and will draw critters.

I dont hunt my land but want to see the herd do better.

Any reviews of the mossy oak seed blends?

Thanks guys!
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: considering a food plot in the Teannaway.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
You're on the right track with the idea that it takes protein to make protein but most people forget that it takes good quality soil to grow good quality forage and just assume that if I plant XX brand seed I'll get the results I'm hoping for. I would start with a soils analysis and see what you can amend to improve things there first and then select your forage crop from what grows best with your soil profile.  :twocents:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
I've used these guys with good results

http://www.nwag.com/

Northwest Agricultural Consultants
2545 West Falls Avenue
Kennewick, WA 99336

Local: 509-783-7450
  Toll-free: 888-783-7450
  Fax: 509-783-5305
  Email: lab@nwag.com

Hours:
  Monday: 8-5
  Tuesday: 8-5
  Wednesday: 8-5
  Thursday: 8-5
  Friday: 8-4
  Saturday: Closed
  Sunday: Closed

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
You're probably going to want the lawn and garden test if you want to plant a typical food plot with lots of plant species,it'll be generic and not specialized towards one plant type, like alfalfa, and loading up on boron. 

LAWN & GARDEN TEST:
NO3-N, NH4-N, SO4-S, pH, Soluble Salts, Organic Matter, P, K, Evaluation and Recommendations   $36.50

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
Look into permaculture.
Water is the most important resource, and slowing it down should be your first priority.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
I do not recommend DIY soil test kits, I know farmers did that and had no luck and wasted a ton of money on amendments and had bad results, sent in for results and came back from the lab way different than the home test kits. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Look into permaculture.
Water is the most important resource, and slowing it down should be your first priority.

I can't see the video, but is that where they bury a bunch of logs or mulch to act as a water sponge?  Not sure how feasible that would be on a low budget food plot, then it has to be redone every 5 years or so. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:22:10 PM »
read this, I spend time on QDMA myself

https://www.qdma.com/food-plot-soil-test/

Has a nice walk through on soil sampling.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
Look into permaculture.

I can't see the video, but is that where they bury a bunch of logs or mulch to act as a water sponge?  Not sure how feasible that would be on a low budget food plot, then it has to be redone every 5 years or so.
No, swales are on contour ditches designed to hold water and help slow and soak it into the ground. Capturing snow melt and rain water to saturate the soil. It is the kind of thing that would work well in your neck of the woods.

If that video doesn't load just type in Swale Permaculture and you will get the idea.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
Get in touch with Kittitas Conservation District: http://www.kccd.net/

I had Snohomish Conversation District come onto my family's duck property on the west side, they collected samples, sent them in and had them analyzed for free. I'm assuming they'll do the same for you. It offered suggestions for fertilizer and pH.

Also install some mineral licks. You'll have a lot of happy does and cows during pregnancy and lactation. That means happy bucks.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »

I had Snohomish Conversation District come onto my family's duck property on the west side, they collected samples, sent them in and had them analyzed for free. I'm assuming they'll do the same for you. It offered suggestions for fertilizer and pH.

Also install some mineral licks. You'll have a lot of happy does and cows during pregnancy and lactation. That means happy bucks wolves

fixed

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
My property has a Swale, it looks natural and holds so much water after the snow melt it's insane. We cant even get machinery down there till about this time of year as the soil is so wet. I'll look into some resources as far as soil testing.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
I'll add some photos of the land here soon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »

Also install some mineral licks. You'll have a lot of happy does and cows during pregnancy and lactation. That means happy bucks wolves

Sadly you're probably right  :DOH:

fixed

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
Hard to go wrong with a good clover alfalfa mix. I've planted straight alfalfas and clovers of various varieties, the advantage of a mix is that the variety that adapts best to each part of the area planted will grow best. Annual clovers will grow fast until the perennial clovers and alfalfa get going. We have a plot with some different clover planted in each part of it as a test, last year everything but one blend did well and we may have planted that blend too late. This year planted some alfa rack plus in a section and some Durana clover in a section of the same plot with the clovers from last year, both new plantings are doing very well so far. So far the deer are eating some of all of it, the last year clovers and this year's plantings, we can't say for sure there is a favorite yet.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/trail-cameras-feeders/food-plots/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/106630380/whitetail-institute-imperial-alfa-rack-plus-seed-northern/742347.uts?slotId=3

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/trail-cameras-feeders/food-plots/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/106630380/pennington-rackmaster-durana-white-clover/2538119.uts?slotId=0

If you would rather buy some bulk seed and make your own mix you could mix some red clover, white clover, alfalfa, and oats. Be sure you get varieties that are winter hardy. It's best to test ph, but I've never done that where I'm at, most land around here will grow alfalfa, clover, or grains so I didn't bother. Everything I've planted has done fairly well except some sainfoin which I think was in too shady of an area or it may have needed some lime. We recently planted more sanfoin in a sunnier area that has had other crops in the past, it should sprout any day, I'm anxious to see if it grows. If it won't grow I'll just plant something else in the future, I don't want to have to be adding lime and fertilizer all the time, I want plots that are easy maintenance. If the plants look yellow and weak add some fertilizer, they will green right up and grow faster.

I've got some new fangled new zealand clover to try but haven't got it planted yet.

It's really fun growing food plots and seeing positive results!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal