collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Delorme, Spot, Garmin. Which one?  (Read 7318 times)

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Delorme, Spot, Garmin. Which one?
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
I'm looking for some feedback here.  I'm looking for a back-country communication device, and want to know why I should buy one versus another.  I know the Garmin Inreach is excellent, but it is over twice the money of a Delorme Inreach. 

I'm not planning to use the GPS function at all as I do all that on my phone.  Simply wanting the Text messages when there's no cell service.  Call in the horses when I've got an elk down, let the wife know I'm ok, etc...  Anyone have some feedback for me?  Thanks!

Offline Holg3107

• Sourdough
Re: Delorme, Spot, Garmin. Which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »
I have the DeLorme InReach SE+ (the yellow unit / basic unit). It does everything I need and more. When connected via Bluetooth to my phone it can easily be used as a fully functional GPS, easy and fast to text etc... Honestly I really don't see any advantages to the newer Garmin versions, possibly durability? unsure... Based on what your usage would be I don't see any reason not to go with the original DeLorme Yellow model. I bought mine 3 months ago and couldn't be happier with it!

SPOT - You have to pre-program in texts as far as I know, Its a useful tool for emergency but not for communication.

Heres a good podcast to listen to that will probably answer your questions.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:14 PM »
Used the delorme inreach se last year over the course of 20 days out hunting. It worked great for me and provided peace of mind. Ive got no experience with the others.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
Tag. I have pretty much the exact same question, except for the whole calling in the cavalry with a bull down...like I’ll ever get a bull down.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
I have used the spot and Delorme.... The Delorme gets my vote, I had a hunting buddy sending me messages from Africa w/ his also.

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Ive used the delorme for three years. Works good paired with your phone. I cracked the screen on mine when i had something fall out of my backpack and hit it just right. It stays in a waterproof case now. Activating it last year was a bit confusing since it was purchased by Garmin. Ended up calling Garmin and they walked me through it on the phone. My only concern is that at somepoint Garmin will quit pushing updates for the Delorme. Would love to get the new mini version but just cant justify buying it at this time.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
I have used the spot and Delorme.... The Delorme gets my vote, I had a hunting buddy sending me messages from Africa w/ his also.

Ditto. Haven't used my SPOT since I bought the Delorme InReach SE.

I don't know anything about the Garmins but have suspected more bells and whistles at higher price.

When away from cell coverage, we use the InReach a lot year round to text info, such as moving a backpack camp from where we had planned to meet a party coming in two days later; telling my wife I planned to stay out overnight rather than come home as planned, and so avoiding having her call SAR, making arrangements with people who live in far isolated areas.     

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:42 PM »
To add to my opinion, the one negative about the delorme is there is now an expectation to check in which is no fault to the delorme lol

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
delorme for me too. Worked perfect for our needs two years ago in the Frank Church
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
Spot has the new X model. I like the fact it has a keyboard for texting and you don't need a cell phone to do it, the plans are cheaper also.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
Spot has the new X model. I like the fact it has a keyboard for texting and you don't need a cell phone to do it, the plans are cheaper also.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx

Thanks for the link to the new SPOT.  I didn't know about this one.  It appears to be an upgraded Delorme InReach with a better keyboard and a better purchase price.   I think that my DeLorme minimal plan is cheaper than the minimal SPOTx however, though the SPOT plan has more calls on it.  The DeLorme InReach does not need a phone either. 

Does anybody know if the emergency button locks on the SPOTx?  I had trouble with my old SPOT having buttons pushed accidentally in my pack.  I finally made a hard case for it.  The DeLorme SOS button locks securely and cannot be pressed without unlocking it, which makes accidental calls to 911 almost impossible.  (If it can go wrong, it does in my pack anyway!). 

Good find.  I'd sure check it out if I didn't have the DeLorme.

This technology is phenomenal to codgers like me.  For the first time in world history anybody with one of these pocket sized, reasonably low cost devices can directly and almost instantly communicate back and forth with anybody anywhere in the world who has a common cell phone, computer or another of these devices.   

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
I have the "old" SPOT (i.e., not the new messanger one).  Honestly, I don't recommend it.  It's fine as an emergency unit, but considering you get messaging + maps + cheaper subscription fees with the Garmin/deLorme, you're getting a much better value with the inReach. 

I'll probably dump the spot once my current subscription runs out. 

Offline boneill

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
Delorme InReach 100%.

I took it down a 28 day Grand Canyon Trip and always had service.

Luckily, I've never personally used one for evacuations, but if you need to get in touch with someone, the InReach is what you want. My friends got evacuated out of British Columbia last year via heli and I've also had friends use it in Ecuador and India for evacuations (not hunting, kayaking whitewater in remote places with high consequences).

It's also very nice you can link it to your phone and text normally- texting on the InReach itself is quite painful.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:00:03 AM »
I have the garmin inreach. Loved it. Always had service and you can set up quick messages or type out your day of hunting activity’s and send to who ever. Battery life is unbelievable. (All depends on how often you have it searching for a messages etc) the plans are cheap. But I wouldn’t get the lowest plan I would get the next one up. Cause every set point it sends it charges you. You can send a link to whoever and they can watch your every movement you make. I know garmin is looking at updating this to better map quality and better tracking bread crumbs.

Cons for the garmin inreach. The bread crumbs are not exactly accurate. It lays your tracks fairly close to where you walked. But not exactly. The reason for this is it only updates so often to save battery life. You can login and adjust the update to every few seconds. But then the battery life goes quicker. I have mine adjusted to set a bread crumb or waypoint every 15 min. (But I don’t use it to navigate anyways unless things went south)

My partner had the spot. It worked great. Laid out tracks. Had a couple preset messages. But nothing you can communicate with. It would loose service every once in awhile. But if money was a deciding factor. I wouldn’t hesitate on buying a spot and using it.

Delorme inreach. Well garmin bought them out. So once garmin puts its own updates and twists on this unit. Delorme will be discontinued. My  :twocents:

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
I'm looking for some feedback here.  I'm looking for a back-country communication device, and want to know why I should buy one versus another.  I know the Garmin Inreach is excellent, but it is over twice the money of a Delorme Inreach. 

I'm not planning to use the GPS function at all as I do all that on my phone.  Simply wanting the Text messages when there's no cell service.  Call in the horses when I've got an elk down, let the wife know I'm ok, etc...  Anyone have some feedback for me?  Thanks!
They're all pretty good, but it really comes down to what you want. The SPOT is cheaper and has more basic features (but still adequate for most situations). The InReach is a lot more expensive, but also allows you to combine a GPS with a fully functional messaging unit.
From the sounds of your initial post, the SPOT 3 will work for you: you can check in with your wife and let her know you're ok, call for help in an emergency, and set up a pre-programmed message to call for assistance in packing out an animal.
The SPOT cannot receive messages and it can only send pre-programmed messages to pre-programmed recipients though. For what it's worth, I've used a SPOT 3 for a long time and am very happy with it.
For more information on them, visit: http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/gifts-for-hunters/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]