collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ear protection for the range?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Ear protection for the range?
« on: May 18, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »
Anyone recommend good ear protection in the form of ear plugs? I think I'd like to invest in the style that is molded or formed to fit my ears but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Ear protection for the range?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Tagging.  I currently use the noise cancelling ear muffs but don't like shooting rifles with the muff style. 

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »
I use Howard Leight Impact Sport while target shooting and hunting without issues. I can take my hearing aids out and still hear while hunting. Or I use custom fitted earplugs the cost is about $100 a pair, I use them while shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »
Tagging.  I currently use the noise cancelling ear muffs but don't like shooting rifles with the muff style. 

That's my current stance as well. I hate the muff style.

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport while target shooting and hunting without issues. I can take my hearing aids out and still hear while hunting. Or I use custom fitted earplugs the cost is about $100 a pair, I use them while shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet.  :twocents:

I think I remember there being someone at SST making these for folks on sight at one of the big shoots one year.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
I guess I have sensitive ears.  I use plugs, and muffs. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »
I use the little foamies in addition to howard Leight Muffs.  Significantly reduces flinch tendencies and makes shooting more relaxing and enjoyable with the big magnums with brakes. 

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:52 PM »
I use the little foamies in addition to howard Leight Muffs.  Significantly reduces flinch tendencies and makes shooting more relaxing and enjoyable with the big magnums with brakes.

Same here for me.  I want to keep what hearing I have left.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »
I use walker razor xv for rifle and shotgun has a 31 nrr and if I feel the need I can connect to my phone and listen to music. I use caldwell electronic low profile occasionally for pistol rated at 23 nrr its not bad outdoors with a pistol.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline ADAMS

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
I suffered some hearing loss as a teenager from firing a .357 without hearing protection. I take hearing protection very seriously and go for maximum decibel reduction. I use 33dB reducing foam plugs. (the cheap ones like "Super Leight" from Howard Leight) I have been known to don earmuffs in addition to plugs at the range when firing rifles like my .338 Winchester.

I also won't own a rifle with a muzzle brake. I know they can be superior in some shooting situations but I don't engage in long range precision firing requiring quick follow up shots and when it comes to rifles like my .458 Lott, I just tell myself that enduring the recoil makes me manly and stronger.  :o

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
I just use head squishers at the range. Cheap walker game eats I think. The battery’s are dead anyways.
While hunting it’s some form of in ear plugs

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
Just ear plugs for me.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »

I do the same!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline hunter105

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
I use a pair of custom molded ear plugs I got from my previous employer.  best hearing protection I have ever used.  Well worth the cost if you want to protect your hearing, about $140.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »

I do the same!

Same here.  I have found the squishy orange foam inserts better than the custom molded ones.  Double protection all the way, and I won't shoot at the range if somebody is using a boom-gun.  I like my hearing, intend to keep it.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 05:21:47 AM »
I use Howard Leigh’s foam plugs with muffs. If you go with custom molded plugs be aware if your weight fluctuates up or down more than 10 pounds they will no longer work as they should, your ear canal changes with weight gain/loss. Used to wear them for work but don’t any more...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal