collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43322 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »
A cougar attack I can see, but for it to chase down and kill the second person has to be very rare...

Sick or starving lion? Plenty of lion food out there...prey drive?
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 01:29:34 PM »
I had friends biking at raging river today. Waiting to hear back as I saw videos from couple hours ago.

Got me thinking....lots of guys ride and their dogs run after them. Could of been the dog running that sparked intital chase

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

You guys are as bad as the left given the right subject matter ...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »
You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

I agree it's a tragedy. I also know there is a large number of cats in that area. The west side has the same unmanaged predator problems as the east side of the state does. 
That specific area is a large piece of private timber company land. These guys would have had a permit to be where they were, behind the gates.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

I agree it's a tragedy. I also know there is a large number of cats in that area. The west side has the same unmanaged predator problems as the east side of the state does. 
That specific area is a large piece of private timber company land. These guys would have had a permit to be where they were, behind the gates.

Area open to cougar hunting?

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
Sad to hear!

There was a similar situation to this several years ago in California. Young cat out on its own attacked and killed a mountain biker than later the same day attacked and nearly killed another woman riding mountain bikes with friends on the same trail.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »

Area open to cougar hunting?

Yes. Boot hunting only obviously.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

Sorry but I’m going to call bs on spin when I see it

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

I don't know that anyone is blaming this specific attack on politics...but the complete and utter lack of any sort of significant/legitimate predator management in this state certainly isn't helping. Was the cat hungry? Too hard to find a deer or elk to kill? There's no question we have an unmanaged predator issue in this state.  Maybe you're spoiled being from Idaho and you're not familiar with the issues we have here.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
A cougar attack I can see, but for it to chase down and kill the second person has to be very rare...

He ran and became prey. Natural fight or flight response on the part of the cougar. Hard to believe two adults in North Bend were both unarmed.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Not saying i support the management plan ( quite frankly don’t have intimint knowledge of it, but I doubt I’d be in favor of it) I’m saying politicizing some ones tragedy to support your stance is BS that’s no different than happens after a school shooting form the anti’s. And I call BS on that too.

If this area has a cat season sounds like every one bitching needs to strap on there boots and actually do something about how passionate they claim they feel about the issue

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »

He ran and became prey. Natural fight or flight response on the part of the cougar. Hard to believe two adults in North Bend were both unarmed.

Same difference, but I'm reading they were on mountain bikes. I'm assuming on Campbell Global land.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
Not saying i support the management plan ( quite frankly don’t have intimint knowledge of it, but I doubt I’d be in favor of it) I’m saying politicizing some ones tragedy to support your stance is BS that’s no different than happens after a school shooting form the anti’s. And I call BS on that too.

If this area has a cat season sounds like every one bitching needs to strap on there boots and actually do something about how passionate they claim they feel about the issue

This specific area is Campbell Global land. Regulated by a limited number of $300(I think) permits required for access.
@bugs n bones

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »

That would be sweet if you even had a slight clue what you were talking about!

My friends, my son, and I have responded to dozens, not just a couple handfuls of incidents, but literally dozens of predations by mostly cougar in NE WA for WDFW, most of these incidents occurred after hound hunting was banned. Three attacks by cougar were on children here in NE WA, one at Barstow, one at Deep Lake, one at Sullivan Lake, two of the cats that attacked the kids were caught, one was not. When hound hunting of cougar was allowed the cougar had more fear of humans and stayed farther back in the mountains! There is a direct correlation! Next time you might want to know what you are talking about before you call someone silly! Just sayin!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]