collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43363 times)

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
Only 18 non-fatal cougar attacks in the last 100 years?  I would have thought that the number would be higher.  Especially since I knew a kid when I was a kid that was attacked by a cougar.  He had some nice scars on his head.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
Once upon a time Hound Hunting conditioned cats to associate dogs and people with a bad experience. Some may claim that this is playing politics, however the fact show differently.
All over the state cats have become more numerous and visible. This points to the fact that 1 there are more cats & 2 the cats are less afraid of human interaction.  Both of these are are a result of the regulations adopted. Now is the time yonpush back while yheniron is hot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
A cougar attack I can see, but for it to chase down and kill the second person has to be very rare...

He ran and became prey. Natural fight or flight response on the part of the cougar. Hard to believe two adults in North Bend were both unarmed.
Lots of yuppies recreate in the Snoqualmie/North Bend area

If you are unarmed that makes you a yuppie?
In this day and age.... yes

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »
Damn...Can't believe people go into the woods unarmed.

I learned my lesson, I was stalked by a cougar for 3/4 mile or more with nothing more than a big stick.
I was as well while stalking a wounded elk that some one else shot. Only a fool travels in healed. 2c

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
Only 18 non-fatal cougar attacks in the last 100 years?  I would have thought that the number would be higher.  Especially since I knew a kid when I was a kid that was attacked by a cougar.  He had some nice scars on his head.

I know of three myself just off the top of my head     

two near fatalities, kids grabbed by the skull and drug a ways:
abercrombie mountain
barstow store area

deadman creek (little girl hit it with a shovel, WDFW later killed it)

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2018, 08:33:42 PM »

I know of three myself just off the top of my head     

two near fatalities, kids grabbed by the skull and drug a ways:
abercrombie mountain
barstow store area

deadman creek (little girl hit it with a shovel, WDFW later killed it)

Sounds to me like that article had some bad info.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
To the people that think that a hand gun would have saved these guys:

-Yes, cougars sometimes follow you for long distances, but generally they are ambush predators.

-These guys were mountain biking, while I am pretty sure none of us actually know how they were initially attacked, there is a very good chance that drawing a gun while going down a trail at a fast pace riding a bike is unlikely to have been a reasonable countermeasure if they even saw it before they were hit.

They were not mt bike riding, the bike they put in the back of the LEO truck was a road bike, road tires, 10 speed style. According to Windwalker they saw it following,  A handgun would definitely helped them in this situation.
It looked like a Cyclocross bike.  Road bike frame yes, but bigger tires, Cantilever brakes.  Designed to riding on roads like that, but lighter weight than a mtn bike and different rider position.  And yes a pistol most surely would have saved a life.

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
While hunting Elk on the Olympic Penninsula a guy with his kid set up camp near us. A Forest Service employee stopped by to tell him letting his kid ride his bike around was a bad idea. He said the motion of riding a bike stimulated the attack instinct of cougars. Apparently they see it as prey fleeing. I know of many close calls with cats stalking people. One guy who had gone after a buck at twighlight without any extra bullets ended up losing it to the cougar when he dropped it and headed for his truck. Another friend shot one that was stalking him as he followed some elk. I for one, pack my 44 when in cougar and bear country. It’s no guarantee of safety, but better than being unarmed

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
To the people that think that a hand gun would have saved these guys:

-Yes, cougars sometimes follow you for long distances, but generally they are ambush predators.

-These guys were mountain biking, while I am pretty sure none of us actually know how they were initially attacked, there is a very good chance that drawing a gun while going down a trail at a fast pace riding a bike is unlikely to have been a reasonable countermeasure if they even saw it before they were hit.

A proficient user of a handgun would have done a lot better than these two victims, did you read the story?  They had a standoff with the cat using the bikes as a shield, what a great time to shoot it.
:yeah:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2018, 10:00:10 PM »
From what I've seen so far, either pepper spray or a firearm would have ended the encounter without a human fatality. I carry mainly for two-legged predators, but it works for the wild kind too
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

You guys are as bad as the left given the right subject matter ...

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

Sorry but I’m going to call bs on spin when I see it

That would be sweet if you even had a slight clue what you were talking about!

My friends, my son, and I have responded to dozens, not just a couple handfuls of incidents, but literally dozens of predations by mostly cougar in NE WA for WDFW, most of these incidents occurred after hound hunting was banned. Three attacks by cougar were on children here in NE WA, one at Barstow, one at Deep Lake, one at Sullivan Lake, two of the cats that attacked the kids were caught, one was not. When hound hunting of cougar was allowed the cougar had more fear of humans and stayed farther back in the mountains! There is a direct correlation! Next time you might want to know what you are talking about before you call someone silly! Just sayin!  :twocents:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/mountain-lion-found-pocatello-tranquilized-and-relocated

Whatever you say dude. Few places have more hound hunters then eastern Idaho. Your just spin doctoring

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »
dont leave home without it
and were not talking about the card
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 06:15:09 AM »
As far as I'm concerned this lies squarely on the shoulders of those people in anti-hunting groups who oppose predator hunting and those people in WDFW and government who allow anti-hunting groups to control the narrative on predator hunting in WA. If you are reading this you should hand your head in shame! Sad day for two innocent people, my condolences go out to the families.

:yeah:
X2 :yeah:
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline JohnD

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 06:50:23 AM »
I've had cameras out there for a few years and am amazed how there seem to be a lot more animals the closer you get to neighborhoods. And a lot of collared bear, cougar and elk.
I also see bike riders pretty regularly on the main road.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal