collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43330 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2018, 07:36:38 AM »
There has been a predator study going on in there for quite a while. Probably why you see all the collars. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

You guys are as bad as the left given the right subject matter ...

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

Sorry but I’m going to call bs on spin when I see it

That would be sweet if you even had a slight clue what you were talking about!

My friends, my son, and I have responded to dozens, not just a couple handfuls of incidents, but literally dozens of predations by mostly cougar in NE WA for WDFW, most of these incidents occurred after hound hunting was banned. Three attacks by cougar were on children here in NE WA, one at Barstow, one at Deep Lake, one at Sullivan Lake, two of the cats that attacked the kids were caught, one was not. When hound hunting of cougar was allowed the cougar had more fear of humans and stayed farther back in the mountains! There is a direct correlation! Next time you might want to know what you are talking about before you call someone silly! Just sayin!  :twocents:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/mountain-lion-found-pocatello-tranquilized-and-relocated

Whatever you say dude. Few places have more hound hunters then eastern Idaho. Your just spin doctoring

?? Probably should just let this 1 go :twocents:

https://www.bearpawoutfitters.com/washington_bear_hunting.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXA2K-fNMdsd94aNyAPVrWizB6M3nYr-D-iHb93CncLQIiJUPVflqwwaAkv-EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:31:00 AM by mfswallace »

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »
There is one in every group.....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
Just pointing out how you guys mirror the left after a school shooting. It’s really pretty disgusting to spin a tragedy to support your political stance. Go back and look at bear paws first reply to this thread. Literally states antis are responsible for this attack. Couldn’t be a more moronic knee jerk spin zone response to someone losing there life to a wild animal having a predatory response. Your right, there is one in every group that will call BS when they see it even if it will be unpopular.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:47:32 AM by lord grizzly »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
2 years ago my side arm saved me from a cougar attack.  Was 10’ from me on the bank of the road right at eye level.  After the shot I tracked it back and it had been fallowing me for 1/2 mile! Crossed my tracks twice and had another cat with it.  Was 2’ of snow and I was out checking traps.  I’ve spent my whole life in these mountains and never seen a cougar till 2008. Since then I have seen dozens of cougar and have been confronted 3 times.  Cougar numbers have grown exponentially and I don’t believe wdfw population numbers for one sec. either they are way wrong or I need to buy a lottery ticket!
2 cats for 36 square miles? Total 🐂💩
They have no clue how many of any predators we have in this state. W.a.g.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
My buddy has a t-cam pic of 5 cougars in 1 picture up skookumchuck! There's a dead deer up Tono right now that looks like a cougar kill! It's infested with them around are area I don't care about what any of those bios say!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
 :yeah: I have ran into a few cats myself around Thompson/Skook.  Seen pics of many cats playing in dudes yard and apple tree and even one looking through the Slider glass point blank.  A friend shot a deer in his yard went inside to get shoes and wife to help and came back out to cat dragging it in to the woods.  Its bad and deer # are surely down as well.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Just pointing out how you guys mirror the left after a school shooting. It’s really pretty disgusting to spin a tragedy to support your political stance. Go back and look at bear paws first reply to this thread. Literally states antis are responsible for this attack. Couldn’t be a more moronic knee jerk spin zone response to someone losing there life to a wild animal having a predatory response. Your right, there is one in every group that will call BS when they see it even if it will be unpopular.
We will never know if hound hunting being banned could have prevented this, that's a no brainer.  But, the political views in this liberal state have an effect on management of our wildlife, that is a fact.  On this subject I will side with what Dale says, he does have a bit of experience on the subject. Unfortunately in this state, it will almost always be about politics.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
I just don't understand why the guy ran when his buddy was being attacked???  There is no way I'm leaving my friend to die, even if it was a grizzly bear, I'm doing what ever I can to help.  Two grown men on a cat should encourage it enough to run away, a rock, big stick, heck I'd even try a full nelson on the sob. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
These pictures are from last year. Ever since the Carpenter Road fire I'm seeing a  lot of cats on my place.

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »
Getting run over by a bus that you didn't even walk out in front of just makes it more painful.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »
We will never know if hound hunting being banned could have prevented this, that's a no brainer.  But, the political views in this liberal state have an effect on management of our wildlife, that is a fact.  On this subject I will side with what Dale says, he does have a bit of experience on the subject. Unfortunately in this state, it will almost always be about politics.

It’s just ridiculous that it took all of a half dozen posts on a thread about someone losing there life to go there. Pretty low class hunt wa....

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
you admitted long ago in this thread that you lacked the knowledge to argue some of your points here in Washington but yet you still argue,that sir is low class.A man is dead due to a predator that is becoming more and more a problem in this state,our state gov. is useless,yet you defend them.Yes a large portion of blame would be the cyclist in an area defenseless,then blame goes to the gov. of WA. for letting them get out of control.they are not afraid any more and that is a huge problem no diff than the people in this country that no longer fear the law and its consequences. when hounds were allowed the cats and the bear put them with humans and feared both that is a fact that can't be argued.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »

It’s just ridiculous that it took all of a half dozen posts on a thread about someone losing there life to go there. Pretty low class hunt wa....

I believe you are entitled to your view points as are we but to say we are low class while you view from afar doesn't help at all. Nobody has said this isn't very sad and wished it wouldn't have happened but it did and we KNOW FROM LIVING HERE that something needs to change. Our voter initiative based predator management aka politics, is ridulous and will only lead to more and more encounters like this.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »

It is plainly obvious to anyone that spends any time in the woods that the cougar population has grown significantly in the last couple decades. Also there is pretty good correlation that the increased population of cougars has been followed by a declining prey population. Ungulate numbers are bottoming out and is it a surprise that maybe cougar are hungry? After all if we find it harder to find a deer the same would follow for cougar.
This chain of events got rolling when I-655 passed. So who to blame ? Maybe you cannot draw a straight line between this event and what has transpired for cougar management but setting in motion a process to increase cougar numbers while at the same time guaranteeing a reduction in their food supply makes an attack like this inevitable.
I think it is fair to blame those who started the process.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1