collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43325 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
I just don't understand why the guy ran when his buddy was being attacked???  There is no way I'm leaving my friend to die, even if it was a grizzly bear, I'm doing what ever I can to help.  Two grown men on a cat should encourage it enough to run away, a rock, big stick, heck I'd even try a full nelson on the sob.
Not that it makes much difference in this regard, but they released the victims’ info. The person killed was a woman. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
I just don't understand why the guy ran when his buddy was being attacked???  There is no way I'm leaving my friend to die, even if it was a grizzly bear, I'm doing what ever I can to help.  Two grown men on a cat should encourage it enough to run away, a rock, big stick, heck I'd even try a full nelson on the sob.
Not that it makes much difference in this regard, but they released the victims’ info. The person killed was a woman.
I guess that would make a difference then,  depending on the woman, I know my wife wouldn't run, she can be pretty damn tough when she needs to be.  I'm not blaming her here at all, RIP.  Sad deal for sure.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Just pointing out how you guys mirror the left after a school shooting. It’s really pretty disgusting to spin a tragedy to support your political stance. Go back and look at bear paws first reply to this thread. Literally states antis are responsible for this attack. Couldn’t be a more moronic knee jerk spin zone response to someone losing there life to a wild animal having a predatory response. Your right, there is one in every group that will call BS when they see it even if it will be unpopular.

You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

You guys are as bad as the left given the right subject matter ...

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

Sorry but I’m going to call bs on spin when I see it

That would be sweet if you even had a slight clue what you were talking about!

My friends, my son, and I have responded to dozens, not just a couple handfuls of incidents, but literally dozens of predations by mostly cougar in NE WA for WDFW, most of these incidents occurred after hound hunting was banned. Three attacks by cougar were on children here in NE WA, one at Barstow, one at Deep Lake, one at Sullivan Lake, two of the cats that attacked the kids were caught, one was not. When hound hunting of cougar was allowed the cougar had more fear of humans and stayed farther back in the mountains! There is a direct correlation! Next time you might want to know what you are talking about before you call someone silly! Just sayin!  :twocents:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/mountain-lion-found-pocatello-tranquilized-and-relocated

Whatever you say dude. Few places have more hound hunters then eastern Idaho. Your just spin doctoring

It's funny that you happened to post that story. I am a hound hunter in eastern Idaho, I've been hunting that area for 20 years, I own a house there, I'm extremely familiar with the cougar in southeast Idaho. In fact I think I harvested the cougar in the story during a later hunting season after it was moved by F&G. We caught a nice tom that had an ear tag in a remote mountain range an hour or so from Pocatello, F&G was kind enough to provide us with the history of that lion and a photo of it treed in a backyard in Pocatello.

My theory is that cougar wandered into town hunting deer, there are a lot of deer that live in Pocatello. If you drive around the west side of town you might see 100 or 200 deer, more than you will see in the mountains that are behind town. F&G did not mention that the cat had been aggressive toward humans, just that it was caught in town and moved. In fact I only know of one human attack by cougar near Rexburg Idaho in recent times. I think there have been fewer attacks in Idaho because the cats get pursued by hounds and humans all over Idaho. Most hound hunters pursue and phtograph far more cougar than they kill and Idaho has a lot of hound hunters all over the state. I can tell you that when I approach most treed cougars in southeast Idaho the majority will jump and run again, they are definitely afraid of humans. On the other hand many cougar attacks have occurred in the last few decades in Washington and most occurred after hounds were outlawed and are no longer used to pursue cougar in WA. Other than humans looking strange there is no reason for most cougar to fear humans in WA. I think the ratio of cougar attacks on humans in WA verses Idaho strongly indicates that hound hunting is a very useful tool in cougar management and behavior.

As I mentioned previously, the best thing that could be done in WA is to allow hound pursuit only cougar hunting which would condition cougar to fear humans and dogs. Cougar would be chased, treed, and left alive. I doubt a kill season for hounds will ever happen in WA due to the political climate, but a pursuit season would definitely help reinforce a fear of humans and dogs in many of Washington's cougar.

No spin, just facts and theories strongly supported by known data!

(see tag in ear)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
Everything I’m seeing still says “man” killed. Cat was 100lbs 3-4 years old Tom.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
Everything I’m seeing still says “man” killed. Cat was 100lbs 3-4 years old Tom.
It was a woman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
To the people that think that a hand gun would have saved these guys:

-Yes, cougars sometimes follow you for long distances, but generally they are ambush predators.

-These guys were mountain biking, while I am pretty sure none of us actually know how they were initially attacked, there is a very good chance that drawing a gun while going down a trail at a fast pace riding a bike is unlikely to have been a reasonable countermeasure if they even saw it before they were hit.

Yeah, except for the one who ran away after the attack on the other commenced and became prey instead of pulling a firearm and going to the top of the apex. I think it's quite likely a handgun would've saved at least one or even both of these people.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
 :yeah:

They fended it off once, then it came back.  Lead supplements, the loud bang from a round going of,  or even bear spray would have been highly likely to save the day.

I don't go too many places without a sidearm, and definitely not into the woods.  Generally that is due to two legged critters, but also for occasions such as this.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
Just pointing out how you guys mirror the left after a school shooting. It’s really pretty disgusting to spin a tragedy to support your political stance. Go back and look at bear paws first reply to this thread. Literally states antis are responsible for this attack. Couldn’t be a more moronic knee jerk spin zone response to someone losing there life to a wild animal having a predatory response. Your right, there is one in every group that will call BS when they see it even if it will be unpopular.

You guys jumping directly to relating this to hunting/politics is plain silly. It could be the only cougar left in the state and still have done this under the right ( or wrong) circumstances. Maybe I’d buy it if it was like a once a week or even month thing but come on n guys. Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy

You guys are as bad as the left given the right subject matter ...

Immediately following the closure of hound hunting predation on pets and livestock skyrocketed. I know because myself and my hunting partners helped WDFW with a lot of the predation calls in NE WA. You ignoring the obvious is just plain silly!  :twocents:

No. You blaming this attack on politics is silly. A cats a cat and any cat that n any state is fully capable of this attack. This happening on a regular basis I’ve over there since the day after the law changed? I must have missed the news story’s.

Sorry but I’m going to call bs on spin when I see it

That would be sweet if you even had a slight clue what you were talking about!

My friends, my son, and I have responded to dozens, not just a couple handfuls of incidents, but literally dozens of predations by mostly cougar in NE WA for WDFW, most of these incidents occurred after hound hunting was banned. Three attacks by cougar were on children here in NE WA, one at Barstow, one at Deep Lake, one at Sullivan Lake, two of the cats that attacked the kids were caught, one was not. When hound hunting of cougar was allowed the cougar had more fear of humans and stayed farther back in the mountains! There is a direct correlation! Next time you might want to know what you are talking about before you call someone silly! Just sayin!  :twocents:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/mountain-lion-found-pocatello-tranquilized-and-relocated

Whatever you say dude. Few places have more hound hunters then eastern Idaho. Your just spin doctoring

It's funny that you happened to post that story. I am a hound hunter in eastern Idaho, I've been hunting that area for 20 years, I own a house there, I'm extremely familiar with the cougar in southeast Idaho. In fact I think I harvested the cougar in the story during a later hunting season after it was moved by F&G. We caught a nice tom that had an ear tag in a remote mountain range an hour or so from Pocatello, F&G was kind enough to provide us with the history of that lion and a photo of it treed in a backyard in Pocatello.

My theory is that cougar wandered into town hunting deer, there are a lot of deer that live in Pocatello. If you drive around the west side of town you might see 100 or 200 deer, more than you will see in the mountains that are behind town. F&G did not mention that the cat had been aggressive toward humans, just that it was caught in town and moved. In fact I only know of one human attack by cougar near Rexburg Idaho in recent times. I think there have been fewer attacks in Idaho because the cats get pursued by hounds and humans all over Idaho. Most hound hunters pursue and phtograph far more cougar than they kill and Idaho has a lot of hound hunters all over the state. I can tell you that when I approach most treed cougars in southeast Idaho the majority will jump and run again, they are definitely afraid of humans. On the other hand many cougar attacks have occurred in the last few decades in Washington and most occurred after hounds were outlawed and are no longer used to pursue cougar in WA. Other than humans looking strange there is no reason for most cougar to fear humans in WA. I think the ratio of cougar attacks on humans in WA verses Idaho strongly indicates that hound hunting is a very useful tool in cougar management and behavior.

As I mentioned previously, the best thing that could be done in WA is to allow hound pursuit only cougar hunting which would condition cougar to fear humans and dogs. Cougar would be chased, treed, and left alive. I doubt a kill season for hounds will ever happen in WA due to the political climate, but a pursuit season would definitely help reinforce a fear of humans and dogs in many of Washington's cougar.

No spin, just facts and theories strongly supported by known data!

(see tag in ear)

The story I posted is 6 days old. Doubting you’ve taken that cat since...

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
And a lot of kids ride bikes on campus. Easily could have a situation just like happened in Washington in a state ( as you well know) ha David hound hunting.

I’ve not once defended any way shape or form Washington’s predator plan or lack there of, I’m just saying blaming an attack quote “squarely” on a policy is not accurate. And one so knowledgeable as you should know better

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
I didn't notice the date but you are right the one we killed was caught in Pocatello two or three years ago. But I think it's the same situation, both cats ware probably hunting all those deer that live in town, the biggest difference is that as far as is known, neither cat tried to attack humans.

Photos of the other cat in Pocatello.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »
LG
I'm sure you're just arguing to argue.
 Common sense tells us that if cougars were chased by hounds and hunters they would become more weary of humans and not so bold as to stalk and attack.
  If their numbers were kept in check their food supply would be higher and would not have allot of hungry cats that are not afraid of humans
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »
And a lot of kids ride bikes on campus. Easily could have a situation just like happened in Washington in a state ( as you well know) ha David hound hunting.

I’ve not once defended any way shape or form Washington’s predator plan or lack there of, I’m just saying blaming an attack quote “squarely” on a policy is not accurate. And one so knowledgeable as you should know better

A cougar could have gone after a human in Pocatello, but it didn't.
I'm seriously telling you, hound hunters and pursuit-only hunting have conditioned most cougar in Idaho, especially cougar that live close to lots of hound hunters like the Pocatello area, to be afraid of humans. Twenty years ago when I first started hunting in SE ID the cats acted much differently, you could walk up to most cougar in a tree, today the majority will jump and run again when they see a human coming.

I stand by my statements.
There used to be a lot of hound hunters in western WA. When hounds were outlawed the WDFW allowed it to happen, they made no attempt to educate the public about the need for hound hunting. Maybe they didn't understand that hound hunters might be performing a public service by conditioning cougar to be afraid? But the fact is that they allowed it to happen. Since hound hunting was banned cougar have multiplied the most in western Washington, we already had a lot of cats in E WA. 30 years ago how many cougar attacks were there in WA? How many cougar were seen in western WA? Most attacks have occurred since the ban.

Many of our rural legislators have tried to pass legislation to allow cougar hunting, but the majority legislators from the cities vote it down. When the citizen commission tried to increase cougar quotas even slightly, Governor Inslee rescinded their decision. WDFW won't even attempt to get hound hunting back now, they don't want to go up against the anti-hunting groups. The anti-hunters have a strangle hold on predator hunting in WA, most politicians and many in the WDFW are complicit by continually restricting predator hunting more and more.

I know there are some good folks in politics and in WDFW who try to support predator hunting, they obviously are not the people I lay blame on!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/survivor-in-fatal-cougar-attack-in-satisfactory-condition/281-555709031

This is saying two men...? The other article actually gives names but this gives direct quotes from authorities.  :dunno:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand