collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43343 times)

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2018, 11:06:46 PM »
FYI. I hope this is OK to post. Please remove if it isn't.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2018, 04:05:13 AM »
Sorry for the lose. But if that was my friend I would have beat that cat to death with my bike. I would not have left my friend
I hear you. That is pretty easy to say from home, but I think if he had tried that they would both be dead.  His injuries are SERIOUS and he's lucky to be alive.

We need to get people carrying bear spray when they recreate.  It would have made the difference in this story 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2018, 05:06:37 AM »
Agreed. After watching that last video, I think I will be adding bear spray to my woods carry.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2018, 05:41:01 AM »
And a lot of kids ride bikes on campus. Easily could have a situation just like happened in Washington in a state ( as you well know) ha David hound hunting.

I’ve not once defended any way shape or form Washington’s predator plan or lack there of, I’m just saying blaming an attack quote “squarely” on a policy is not accurate. And one so knowledgeable as you should know better

A cougar could have gone after a human in Pocatello, but it didn't.
I'm seriously telling you, hound hunters and pursuit-only hunting have conditioned most cougar in Idaho, especially cougar that live close to lots of hound hunters like the Pocatello area, to be afraid of humans. Twenty years ago when I first started hunting in SE ID the cats acted much differently, you could walk up to most cougar in a tree, today the majority will jump and run again when they see a human coming.

I stand by my statements.
There used to be a lot of hound hunters in western WA. When hounds were outlawed the WDFW allowed it to happen, they made no attempt to educate the public about the need for hound hunting. Maybe they didn't understand that hound hunters might be performing a public service by conditioning cougar to be afraid? But the fact is that they allowed it to happen. Since hound hunting was banned cougar have multiplied the most in western Washington, we already had a lot of cats in E WA. 30 years ago how many cougar attacks were there in WA? How many cougar were seen in western WA? Most attacks have occurred since the ban.

Many of our rural legislators have tried to pass legislation to allow cougar hunting, but the majority legislators from the cities vote it down. When the citizen commission tried to increase cougar quotas even slightly, Governor Inslee rescinded their decision. WDFW won't even attempt to get hound hunting back now, they don't want to go up against the anti-hunting groups. The anti-hunters have a strangle hold on predator hunting in WA, most politicians and many in the WDFW are complicit by continually restricting predator hunting more and more.

I know there are some good folks in politics and in WDFW who try to support predator hunting, they obviously are not the people I lay blame on!
This happened in Idaho.
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/08/family-of-girl-attacked-by-mountain-lion-she-could-have-been-gone/

Fatal Attacks by Cougars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Fatal attacks by Dogs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

I am more concerned about peoples pet dogs than I am cougars.

While we can second guess the people involved.  This was definitely not normal cougar behavior.  Been seeing cougars since I started running the woods by myself in the mid seventies.

I mentioned that Idaho attack, the score is:

Idaho 1 attack
Washington (I lost count)

Which state is safest, which state has hound hunting? Coincidence?

The anti-hunters like to throw around statistics indicating most people are not attacked by cougars or wolves, etc, it's sort of like the the sheep mentality as explained by KFhunter. As long as only one or two sheep are killed the rest of the sheep go back to grazing.

Everything is fine unless you happen to be one of the sheep that did't make it!
How many live in WA compared to ID?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
:yeah:

There's probably more people recreating right now on the state/federal forest lands in King County alone this minute then on the state/federal forest lands in the entire state of Idaho his minute.

That might be a stretch, but if there are so many more people recreating in WA isn't that further reason for this state to be concerned about conditioning cougar to fear humans? I guess I don't quite see the logic in your statements?
More people in the woods is more potential for an attack.

I don't disagree about conditioning cougars to fear humans, but I'd say it's also a stretch to say you could condition every cougar.

No matter what there eill always be potential for an animal vs. Person attack. Doesn't matter if it's cougar vs human or deer vs human.

I never said you could condition every cougar, that is not possible due to the many roadless areas. There used to be a lot of hound hunters in western WA. In an area with much access most cougar would get conditioned by hound hunters if there was a season. I think I read that cougar was 3 to 4 years old, if there was still hound hunting or a pursuit season there is a pretty good chance that cougar could have been conditioned prior to this incident. If there was still a hound hunting take season there is a pretty good chance that cougar would not have existed that close to town.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Sorry for the lose. But if that was my friend I would have beat that cat to death with my bike. I would not have left my friend
I hear you. That is pretty easy to say from home, but I think if he had tried that they would both be dead.  His injuries are SERIOUS and he's lucky to be alive.

We need to get people carrying bear spray when they recreate.  It would have made the difference in this story 

I think you are right, there are a lot of people who don't have the training to be packing a gun, spray would definitely be best for those people. Sometimes the mind does not think as clearly in the heat of the moment and instincts take over your actions, if you've never given any thought about encounters with dangerous animals I can see where a person would not know what to do. In recent years agencies in most states have done a good job of getting the word out advising people what to do when confronted by wild animals, but no doubt there are a lot of people who have missed that information or not given it much thought. But it seems most likely a weapon or spray are the only things that could have stopped this cougar attack.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:53 AM »
It's the hunters fault this happened.
Killing cougars throws them into social chaos.
Hunters kill only the old predators leaving the young ones alive, which these are the ones that tend to let the selves be seen. Which only the young ones eat and kill people.
People are stupid.
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/local/rare-cougar-attack-a-mystery-even-for-experts/281-556430828
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
That's a stupid argument for this area and this incident. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »
It's the hunters fault this happened.
Killing cougars throws them into social chaos.
Hunters kill only the old predators leaving the young ones alive, which these are the ones that tend to let the selves be seen. Which only the young ones eat and kill people.
People are stupid.
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/local/rare-cougar-attack-a-mystery-even-for-experts/281-556430828

This is a good illustration of what WA is up against in trying to get decent management to happen.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2018, 07:29:06 AM »
I hear you. That is pretty easy to say from home, but I think if he had tried that they would both be dead. His injuries are SERIOUS and he's lucky to be alive.

100% disagree

I know of two mothers who beat off cougars who had their children's' skull in their mouths dragging the children off. 

One was a grandmother, she relentlessly pursued the cat up a steep embankment (cat was dragging the child by the skull) wacking at it with a broom
The other mother beat off the cat with a backpack who had her child by the skull dragging him into the bushes.

And I know a little girl who beat off a cat with a shovel, wacked it on the head and treed the cat, she was 6 or 7, she's a feisty little thing, she was raised "free range" before it was cool.  In her case goats had brought in the cat, they were in their pen and she was out to feed them, cat thwarted by the pen came right up to the girl and got a face full of shovel *bonk!* then shovel in hand she preceded to chase the cat up a tree.
I heard the 1st hand report as a knew the people, then later talked to WDFW, they killed the cat about 100 yards from the residence.

I do agree everyone should carry spray, or gun, if a cat decides to prey test humans I just assume they be dead, it's not like they're endangered around here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:41:14 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
Or carry both.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Or carry both.

Spray would be nice if the cat is latched on to your buddy and you can't safely shoot it, spray the whole pile up, then transition to weapon when the cat lets go and you get a clear shot  :tup:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »
That, and that vid makes me think I could not have gotten my carry out and or a snap shot off fast enough to halt that attack.  However, he seemed to have already spotted them and had it out, in which case, I would have also had my carry out.

But the non-lethal to others, as you point out, and the shotgun blast effect is also appealing.  I have two little guys to look out for.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »
I can think of no reason you leave a buddy behind, not when his vehicle breaks down, not in a bar fight, going through a rough patch in life, and for damn sure not when something is trying to kill them!!!!
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »
Everything I’m seeing still says “man” killed. Cat was 100lbs 3-4 years old Tom.
It's interesting how far out of the way the media is going to avoid indicating that the victim was female. This is from the Seattle Times.

Myers confirmed the identities of the victims as S.J. Brooks, 32, of Seattle, and injured friend Isaac Sederbaum, 31, also of Seattle.  The King County Medical Examiner’s Office will formally identify the victim after an autopsy is performed. They were mountain biking on a remote, dirt road northeast of Snoqualmie on Saturday morning when they came across the cougar, which began stalking them and then attacked, according to police and Fish and Wildlife officials.

Sederbaum suffered serious lacerations and bites to his head, neck and face, requiring surgery. He’s in satisfactory condition at Harborview Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

Brooks was the director of operations at Hillman City Collaboratory, where grass-roots organizations and people share the space, and was a research assistant at William James College in Massachusetts. A Linked-In profile also states Brooks had been the office manager of G&O Family Cyclery in Seattle’s Greenwood neighborhood. While living in the Boston area, Brooks was a manager at Boston Center for the Arts and a bicycle mechanic. According to the profile, Brooks got a doctorate in philosophy at Boston University in 2016.

Yes, it's really strange that even in the most recent news articles, they never use the words "she," "her," or "woman" when referring to the person who was killed. I can't find anything that says a woman was killed by a cougar. I don't get it. Why the secrecy?

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »
Everything I’m seeing still says “man” killed. Cat was 100lbs 3-4 years old Tom.
It's interesting how far out of the way the media is going to avoid indicating that the victim was female. This is from the Seattle Times.

Myers confirmed the identities of the victims as S.J. Brooks, 32, of Seattle, and injured friend Isaac Sederbaum, 31, also of Seattle.  The King County Medical Examiner’s Office will formally identify the victim after an autopsy is performed. They were mountain biking on a remote, dirt road northeast of Snoqualmie on Saturday morning when they came across the cougar, which began stalking them and then attacked, according to police and Fish and Wildlife officials.

Sederbaum suffered serious lacerations and bites to his head, neck and face, requiring surgery. He’s in satisfactory condition at Harborview Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

Brooks was the director of operations at Hillman City Collaboratory, where grass-roots organizations and people share the space, and was a research assistant at William James College in Massachusetts. A Linked-In profile also states Brooks had been the office manager of G&O Family Cyclery in Seattle’s Greenwood neighborhood. While living in the Boston area, Brooks was a manager at Boston Center for the Arts and a bicycle mechanic. According to the profile, Brooks got a doctorate in philosophy at Boston University in 2016.

Yes, it's really strange that even in the most recent news articles, they never use the words "she," "her," or "woman" when referring to the person who was killed. I can't find anything that says a woman was killed by a cougar. I don't get it. Why the secrecy?

Maybe she didn't identify as a woman?  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]