collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion attack in North bend?  (Read 43333 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lion attack in North bend?
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2018, 07:08:42 PM »
There is an opportunity here to speak with one voice.  When there is a worth story, those effected scream out.  I'd like to call out the WSU predator lover/human blamer and blow up someones inbox....

Thoughts?

Good idea I will play can you post the contact info of who needs to hear from us? If not I get that. I don’t even live in the state I just can’t stand mismanagement of our wildlife and natural resources anywhere. Maybe even a new thread if this gets some momentum?

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
Or carry both.

Spray would be nice if the cat is latched on to your buddy and you can't safely shoot it, spray the whole pile up, then transition to weapon when the cat lets go and you get a clear shot  :tup:

:yeah:
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2018, 10:44:50 PM »
Here's the other Washington cougar fatality (probable)

Snoqualmie Valley Historical Museum
2 hrs ·
In light of recent events this weekend. Here is the summary of the other known probable cougar death in the Valley:

Valley Record, January 15, 1924
Partial remains of missing Snoqualmie resident Henry Grau are discovered. Grau had been missing for several weeks after not returning from a visit to his claim. Part of his clothes, his false teeth, his shoes with feet, wallet and a receipt from the Reinig Store were found. It is thought that a cougar has eaten the rest of him. The remains were found 2.5 miles from Camp B by two Timber Cruisers.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #213 on: May 22, 2018, 12:18:50 AM »
2 lions for 39 sq mi?  What a joke.  I have 21 acres and get at least 5 or 6 different cats on my property every year, not counting cubs.  And tracks and tcam evidence on public land....  wdfw cant be that stupid, theyre just flat out lying through their teeth.

Exactly.  I've said it before, but a huge problem is the WDFW's Bios pandering to save their job rather than growing a set and telling the truth about predators.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2018, 05:12:19 AM »
I’d like to have conservation NW spokesperson chime in on all their work the past 10 years to shut down and/ or severely limit cougar hunting in the PNW

https://www.conservationnw.org/of-cougars-science-and-public-trust/

Crickets

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2018, 05:20:13 AM »
When the opening line says they joined with the Humane Society that's all I needed to read!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2018, 05:35:18 AM »
2 lions for 39 sq mi?  What a joke.  I have 21 acres and get at least 5 or 6 different cats on my property every year, not counting cubs.  And tracks and tcam evidence on public land....  wdfw cant be that stupid, theyre just flat out lying through their teeth.

Exactly.  I've said it before, but a huge problem is the WDFW's Bios pandering to save their job rather than growing a set and telling the truth about predators.

They must be including areas with no cats to get the number down.  The west side foothills have many times that density.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2018, 06:17:55 AM »
There is an opportunity here to speak with one voice.  When there is a worth story, those effected scream out.  I'd like to call out the WSU predator lover/human blamer and blow up someones inbox....

Thoughts?
Sounds good. I was just reading thru one of the articles on king5. For the the ones that know and have run cougars. Do cougars in way self regulate themselves?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes but its probably more of a contributing factor.  A big cat will force a young male into new territory.   As the population explodes mostly due to the modification of harvest there are few places for these animals to go.   They will likely be pushed into civilization where a normal hunted cat would try to avoid.   Throw in that these young cats are going to eat what they can.  And whalaaaa.

Offline Luna butte

• Tracker
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
I'm less than impressed with the amount of masculinity inherited by these two bike riders. They, together successfully thwarted the first attempt by the cat using there bikes as weapons, yet apparently they talked about the whole "I don't have to out run the cat, I just have to outrun you" conversation.

I've been convinced for years that like Will Rogers said "mankind as a whole, is a damned mess"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:38:28 AM by Luna butte »

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »

Thoughts?
Sounds good. I was just reading thru one of the articles on king5. For the the ones that know and have run cougars. Do cougars in way self regulate themselves?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes but its probably more of a contributing factor.  A big cat will force a young male into new territory.   As the population explodes mostly due to the modification of harvest there are few places for these animals to go.   They will likely be pushed into civilization where a normal hunted cat would try to avoid.   Throw in that these young cats are going to eat what they can.  And whalaaaa.
Exactly. That's what we need education to all Westside people. They don't want believe the truth.  HUSU is responsible for death because they write all Lies to make Inslee to believe them instead us. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2018, 08:08:43 AM »
So was the victim a man or woman? Who knows. From the Northwest Sportsman's Magazine:

The body of the deceased, a 32-year-old identified as Sonja “SJ” Brooks was found with the cougar. The New York Times, which was the first to name the victims, initially reported Brooks as a woman which was repeated here but was erroneous.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/north-bend-cougar-attack-victims-named/

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
yep, it’s a goner.   Dman brought more humor to this place, mostly inadvertent and at his own cost, but he was a good sport.    The bobcat, 500 pound blacktails and seems like there was a giant trout too.  :chuckle:  I think there was talk of being a spy too.  :chuckle:
Don't forget the huge old regressor spike whitetail
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
LG is correct in that you can't take the potential for human attacks by cats to zero without taking the cats to zero.  However, there is a lot that can be done to reduce the frequency and improve outcomes.

1.  Targeted outreach to the three groups most likely to be attacked: trail runners, mountain bikers, and children.  Bike and running stores should have brochures and sell pepper spray.
2.  Cats are instinctual hunters, much harder to aversively condition than cognitive hunters (canids and bears).  Cats instinctively avoid canids for two reasons, wolf packs kill cougars on the ground, and where cats can tree they appropriate their kills and cats go underfed/starve.  Year-round hound seasons will go a long way toward a better distribution of humans and cougars.  If people got used to calling houndsmen when a cat is seen in/near human habitation, it would greatly reduce interactions, and especially with the naïve, non-outdoorsy types.
3.  Year round, no quota harvest on private lands.  This will redistribute the majority of cats to National Forest land, where year round, quota-limited harvest can be used to manage sustainable cougar populations.

These are solutions that I think would pass muster with the general population of Washington state. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
So was the victim a man or woman? Who knows. From the Northwest Sportsman's Magazine:

The body of the deceased, a 32-year-old identified as Sonja “SJ” Brooks was found with the cougar. The New York Times, which was the first to name the victims, initially reported Brooks as a woman which was repeated here but was erroneous.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/north-bend-cougar-attack-victims-named/

Not sure if it was in this thread or another article, but I read somewhere the person killed was transgender or non bianary. I believe that was the term used. That may be contributing to the confusion.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »

They must be including areas with no cats to get the number down.  The west side foothills have many times that density.
What I was thinking too.  Using the entire area of the state like cities and islands.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]