collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stevens 301 Single Shot Break Action Shotgun  (Read 970 times)

Offline ADAMS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Stevens 301 Single Shot Break Action Shotgun
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
I just bought one of these for my 14 year old son (his first gun) from Buds. I purchased the 12 gauge model.

I've never seen one of these in a store and have only seen a few reviews but I'm wondering if anyone here who has fondled one or owns one has an opinion.

Offline pcal

• Hunter
Re: Stevens 301 Single Shot Break Action Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
It is a copy of the old H&R and will kick hard with hi brass.If you put on a recoil boot it will help.I understand it will use Winchester chokes,too.You need to pattern it at 30 yrds.Shimming and shaving the stock to action fit will be easy and necessary as this is made in the PRC with no proofing or regulating.The old H&R needed  to be regulated,too.I bought a couple at yard sales for $5 to $10 and they were all full choke and were way off.One 16 ga. shot 2 ft to the right and almost that low at 30 yrds.I regulated it and killed rabbits and squirrels better than a 20ga and less recoil than a 12.Your son should learn to put 2 shells between his off hand fingers for fast reloads.Once he is proficent with reloadind he will have little disadvantage to a guy using a pump.pcal

Offline ADAMS

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
@pcal: My first gun was an H&R Pardner in 20 gauge with a full choke. I wish I still had it. (kicking myself)

I've actually read and watched reviews that indicate that the fit on the Chinese made 301 is surprisingly good, better than the H&R / NEF models but that the finish is kind of crappy. Hopefully the one that arrives will be well fitted. I also understand that the 301s print low.

I currently have an NEF in .410 with a full choke. It's my favorite rabbit gun. I recall though that when I bought it, I had them bring another out because of noticeably terrible alignment between the barrel and receiver.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
I have the same gun. I tought my sons how to grouse hunt with it.
Mine shoots fine.
And when he gets older and moves on to a nicer gun, break loaders make awesome wall mounts!!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
One of the cool things you can do is make cut shot shells for use in a break action. They work best  the more open the choke.
 This you tube channel shows all manner of cool improvised shot shells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pcal

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »
I would never take a new shotgun hunting without patterning it.If it doesn't put the pellets in the center of the circle it needs to be regulated.Regulating a shotgun requires you to move the center of the pattern by shaving the rear stock where it fits the reciever.Experts will use great care on fine shotguns and have to work with the shooter to fit THAT individual.I am not an expert nor claim great skills but I have worked on my own guns (remington 870,mossburg 500,bereta pump,lots of old singles)to make them hit where pointed.Pattern the gun on butchers paper with a 30 inch  circle at 10 yards and when centered,move it out to 20 yrds.Some will then move it out to 30 but I find it's usually not off enough after getting it good at 20 to warrant that much fine tuning.Learning to wing shoot with an unregulated shotgun is impossible so get that done before wasting ammo and frustation.pcal

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal