collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How often do blacktail go to water?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
How often do blacktail go to water?
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
Hello,

New hunter here; last year was my first season. I have access to a small patch of land (40ish acres) that has lots of blacktail beds, but the only access to water come late summer will be a river that's about .75 miles adjusted for pathing (IE: not "as the crow flies").
Is this too far from water or will the deer migrate when thirsty?

Thank you,

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: How often do blacktail go to water?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »
That's a hop and a skip for a deer. If they like the bedding area, they'll be there. A side note, blacktail get a significant amount of their water intake from their forage. That time of year grasses and big leafy plants hold a ton of water. Doesn't mean they don't need to supplement it, but it's not as critical for blacktail as say mule deer and elk.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »
Good answer 7mm. 

It seems to me that during the dry months, they make the water run in the dark. The trails are pretty easy to find. Sometimes you might see bucks heading back uphill to bed (after watering) in the first hour or so of light (while still in velvet).  Once hard-horned, they pretty much just go "poof" - (gone), or are using alternate hidden routes that remain hidden to this observer.

With a river that close, you might want to examine any close by ravines or mucky rainstorm drainage areas that drain towards the river.  Look for seeps or hidden water sources closer to bedding areas.  Alder trees often grow in these wetter areas.  It doesn't take much water to supplement their needs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:03:29 AM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline buggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 04:58:45 PM »
As was already mentioned,  I dont think blacktail necessarily go searching for water. They generally get plenty from the vegetation. Boyd Iverson writes about it in more detail in Trophy blacktail tactics 2. I would highly recommend every blacktail hunter read it.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »
How often do blacktail go to water?
Depends on if they have just come from my Apple Trees or from hitting our Vegetable Garden.  :chuckle:
Now if your talking the young ones...... that would be every couple of hours.  :rolleyes:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
Ha!  Love that second photo!   :tup:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal