collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hoof Rot  (Read 2184 times)

Offline ASienkiewich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Hoof Rot
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
Lately I have been hearing some people making negative comments about elk with this disease. Was just wondering why people shy away from hunting elk in units known to have hoof rot? From my knowledge and experience it has no affect on the meat of the animals. I feel more like I’m helping  the cause if I harvest one of these animals. Just my opinion, what’s yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
Re: Hoof Rot
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
I had a new big bottle of bourbon that I left with the cork out accidentally.  When I came back there was a big hairy fly floating on top.  I knew the whiskey was probably fine; sterile and all...and I also knew I'd think about that fly every time I drank it.  So I dumped it down the toilet. 

Same thing with eating a limper....I wouldn't want to eat one even though it's probably fine.  I'd think about those rotten feet.  So I wouldn't knowingly shoot a limper.  If I happened to find out it had hoof rot after I shot it I guess I'd just deal with it...  We hunt Ryderwood and there's hoof rot in there, but none of the last six elk our party has gotten there has had it.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
While the hoof rot itself may not have an adverse effect on the meat healthwise per se. I would imagine when they are really bad they are probably fevered. Which can't be good for the meat.  Plus they smell god awful which I would probably subconsciously smell everytime I cooked it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
A few with more advanced stages of hoof rot that I’ve seen, the meat is definitely affected. Whether or not it’s unhealthy I have no clue. The meat loses its color and the muscles shrink. I won’t knowingly shoot a limper either it grosses me out (and my wife).  It’s sad what it’s done to the elk herd in the SW

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
Do slaughter houses process sick rotten legged beef for human consumption???  Nuff said.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
As a guy who raises beef cattle I wouldn't even consider slaughtering a beef that was stressed, sick or in poor shape.  The same goes for wild game.  It does effect the meat.  A couple years ago while hunting Pe Ell South I had my daughter on 5 different branched bulls, all less than 70 yard with a muzzleloader and she passed on every one of them because they were barely able to move and emaciated.  We would rather put them down and let the other critters eat them than waste a tag on an inedible (In my opinion) animal.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
Do slaughter houses process sick rotten legged beef for human consumption???  Nuff said.
A&L (formerly H&H) out of Chehalis use to slaughter downer animals.

Offline Greg Mullins

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
In 2014 I found a 6x6 bull with no rear hoofs and maggots all over the stubs and crawling under the skin.The whole thing is he was still alive skin and bones and he had ate everything in a 10 foot circle even sticks. So I’d say no. And yes I did........

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the responses everyone. My group has killed close to 10 with hoof rot and never once have the animals seemed stressed or sickly. To me it seems the disease really just affects movement slightly. Maybe I just haven’t seen a case severe enough? I just can’t jump ship out of areas I’m having success I guess lol

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »
Ur right. I dont get it but just let them think that. Let them stay away from them elk cuz it seems to me that there is a correlation with the fraud and high density of elk
Lately I have been hearing some people making negative comments about elk with this disease. Was just wondering why people shy away from hunting elk in units known to have hoof rot? From my knowledge and experience it has no affect on the meat of the animals. I feel more like I’m helping  the cause if I harvest one of these animals. Just my opinion, what’s yours?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand