collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mechanical Problem : 1992 F-150 351w 5.8l Engine Knock?  (Read 4484 times)

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Mechanical Problem : 1992 F-150 351w 5.8l Engine Knock?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
I missed the part about it already running, albeit poorly.
Wonder if he broke the flex plate putting the engine back in it after doing freeze plugs? If there's an inspection cover at the bell housing you can pull and look? Just a thought.
I was ready to suggest this also. I picked up an impala for free, motor knock. loose  torque converter bolts.
78 camaro engine knock. loose  torque converter bolts.
85 bronco 11 engine knock. cracked flex plate. chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. engine knock. Cracked bolt hole around  pump on trany.
I'm not sure.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
I'm not overly familiar with this specific motor but you don't always have to pull the motor to install freeze plugs. 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
Good looking truck. Be nice if you can get it going without spending a ton....drive a bit and flip that baby.

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
I would have jump on that truck for 8 bills. I may be lucky but all my engine knock buys have been fairly cheap and easy fixes.  :chuckle: :dunno:
I'm not sure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
I'm not overly familiar with this specific motor but you don't always have to pull the motor to install freeze plugs. 

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple on the back of the engine block to where you'd have to either pull the engine or transmission for access.
There are 3 down either side of the engine block and then I think there's one on the back of each head. With that said, who knows which ones were replaced.

Pull the inspection cover and have a look. Have someone bump the key to turn the engine slightly while you're watching. You might see it wobble.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
If I can get it to crank gonna try to make a video tonight.
You guys have given me a few ideas to try tonight before it gets dark hopefully.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Grit dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »
Nice find!  We're so lucky out here with vehicles.  Where I grew up, that truck, running or not would be a smoldering pile of rust. And even with a blown engine, in that shape like yours would be worth a couple grand at least.
Couple things, if finding a new/ used motor, it's a Windsor, trucks have differnet oil pans and pumps than cars (if you find a takeout from a crown Vic or older Tbird or something), and don't even think about trying to retro fit a 302 or other. Ford small blocks are not near as universal as a small block Chevy or Mopar.

I'd get a wiring schematic and trace/fix that as you go so you don't lose track. And as mentioned, before tearing the engine apart, get someone else knowledgable to look at it with you. Like others, I've bought engines that were "froze up" or "knocked" that were much simpler fixes. 
If the engine is toast, a good used engine is cheaper and easier than pretty much any rebuild, IMO, if you just want to get it on the road and don't have specific goals for the engine.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
Nice find!  We're so lucky out here with vehicles.  Where I grew up, that truck, running or not would be a smoldering pile of rust. And even with a blown engine, in that shape like yours would be worth a couple grand at least.
Couple things, if finding a new/ used motor, it's a Windsor, trucks have differnet oil pans and pumps than cars (if you find a takeout from a crown Vic or older Tbird or something), and don't even think about trying to retro fit a 302 or other. Ford small blocks are not near as universal as a small block Chevy or Mopar.

I'd get a wiring schematic and trace/fix that as you go so you don't lose track. And as mentioned, before tearing the engine apart, get someone else knowledgable to look at it with you. Like others, I've bought engines that were "froze up" or "knocked" that were much simpler fixes. 
If the engine is toast, a good used engine is cheaper and easier than pretty much any rebuild, IMO, if you just want to get it on the road and don't have specific goals for the engine.
Yeah I'm not looking to do any crazy hauling or anything, goal is just to have a solid reliable 4x4. I've went through it visually and it's in surprisingly good condition, everything underneath is almost immaculate, zero rust, maybe just a few new bushings in the suspension nothing serious, few spots on the hood from rocks and the hood needs a good cut and buff. Tried to mess with it today just trying to get it to start. Think my battery was dead. But this thing must need tons of cranking amps cause had a buddy run jumpers and I piggy backed off another battery I had and it wouldn't crank. It would try to, then like just lose all power and shut off. It's like maybe the starter solenoid is shorting out or dying. Gonna try to trickle charge my Optima red top tonight and see if itll crank it tomorrow. It did crank at one point after I got it, and nothing has changed, just wont crank now. Traced a few wires, the wire from the ground to the chassis needs to be replaced. So far that's all I got today. I was hoping to be able to drop the pan but figured out I have to lift the motor out about 6 inches just to get the pan to clear. So if I want to check for metel gonna just have to drain from the plug, cant inspect.

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 10:56:12 PM »
Get a good ground on it now from the battery to the block and block to chassis, before you keep trying to start it. Could be the problem and you don't want to keep energizing the starter without good ground.
Also, I think the starter solenoid is still separate mounted on the fender well or close to that. You can jump across the solenoid if it's got a short in it.
Looks like you got a good truck there and great deal to boot

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 11:13:24 PM »
I did not read every post just 1st page.Smossy i would like for you to video it running with sound please.that will be a great place to start this conversation.I'm sure its a fuel injected 351-w ?very nice small block.look at oil if its milky its junk.look in coolant if it has oil slick it is junk.take all parts off- oil pan,intake,water pump,ignition system,heads,exhaust system,alternator,pulleys,harmonic balancer, ? i think that's it.I,m sure with the low miles and shape of truck all of these things are good.Either find a good used low mile engine and put all of this on it and put it in or buy a short block crate motor when you can and put all of this on it and put it in.short block will go for another 150k easy in that truck and you know what you got.Build your own with a donor and you can do it for around 800 with the machine work as long as crank is good.  :tup:  Oh yeah, Nice truck!
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
A "knock" could be a lot of things, none of them good.  A new (rebuilt) short block will correct most problems of that type.

Yeah I figured, something like this then?

https://spprecision.com/products/351-windsor-short-block-engine-sale.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3InYBRCLARIsAG6bfMT6l-pglHpdoTxdj99Watuiuh8QJQkFnaSXHoUAZBvAbd_uQ0dxJr4aAvKKEALw_wcB

Odd...

From the website
Production Years Covered
1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997

Literally skips 1992, wonder what's different? Short block just means the upper right?not the complete upper/lower "longblock"?

1992 FORD FORD F150 PICKUP - Engine Assembly 5.8L VIN H, 8th Digit, 8-351W

http://www.carmonkeys.com/1992-FORD-FORD-F150-PICKUP-Engine-Assembly-5-8L-VIN-H-8th-Digit-8-351W-5-Years-Warranty?utm_campaign=google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3InYBRCLARIsAG6bfMRbYZW5JlV472BECCBavOyyFJXHbo7mmyUZ5B6mSWYRRK1lM8q37EUaAiPnEALw_wcB
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
Before you pull the oil pan, put a bar on the crank pulley bolt and make sure the engine will turn over and that it didn't seize up the last time you had it running.
 :dunno:
Replacing the oil pan in that calls for 6.1 hours labor....and that's a technician with all the right tools. That will be no small task.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
you can't get the pan off without basicly  pulling the motor, you gotta lift the motor about 6 inchs or so. Try spinning the crank with a rod, drain the oil and look at it. I think you can decide what to do without going to that extreme :dunno:
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »
I’m all for evaluating the engine as well as you can prior to deciding. Before I’d go too deep into an engine with a bad knock and unknown origins, you may want to look for a good runner to swap out. You can get to a reliable point with about the same effort and not a ton of money  :twocents:

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
Will anything with a 351w swap? Or does it need to be a specific year?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]