collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The pressure of having high point count for special permits-going for it  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
The underlying issue is the perceived value of said points.  While a person has invested a lot of time, there's very little monetary value associated with said points and even less value as far as increasing draw odds. Points just don't mean that much in this state. Im Sitting on Max deer points with never once applying for points only option.  Even at that I realize that when or if I finally draw, the caliber of animal is less than an otc Idaho tag or 0 point CO unit that I hunt every year. 

I think you absolutely have the right idea by just trying to draw a tag. You only get so many September's in this life.  Don't waste them shooting for the stars.  When you are laying on your deathbed years from now I guarantee you won't be thinking to yourself "man I wish I had hunted less."

Well said.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
The underlying issue is the perceived value of said points.  While a person has invested a lot of time, there's very little monetary value associated with said points and even less value as far as increasing draw odds. Points just don't mean that much in this state. Im Sitting on Max deer points with never once applying for points only option.  Even at that I realize that when or if I finally draw, the caliber of animal is less than an otc Idaho tag or 0 point CO unit that I hunt every year. 

I think you absolutely have the right idea by just trying to draw a tag. You only get so many September's in this life.  Don't waste them shooting for the stars.  When you are laying on your deathbed years from now I guarantee you won't be thinking to yourself "man I wish I had hunted less."

Well said.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Not to mention you never know what life will throw at you, I say you did the right thing, try to draw the tags you want to hunt, don't chase units or places where the biggest have been killed, draw the units you like and enjoy the experience.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer

This here is why I am phasing out of the points game and most washington big game in general. I cashed out my quality elk last year and didn't apply this year. I will still continue to try for the quality deer permit I want but am not disappointed when I don't draw because I have montana deer hunts already planned that are just as good over the counter as most quality hunts here. When I do finally draw, it will be a complete surprise, I will hunt the heck out of the tag then cease applying for deer as well.

It is more money to hunt out of state but worth it to me because hunting is one of my passions and you never know what life can throw at you and when it will be your last hoorah. Might as well make the most out of every fall you have.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
I think the point paralysis comes in a preference point system not a bonus point system.

Wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Apply for what turns you on and hunt the general seasons in the meantime.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE

This here is why I am phasing out of the points game and most washington big game in general. I cashed out my quality elk last year and didn't apply this year. I will still continue to try for the quality deer permit I want but am not disappointed when I don't draw because I have montana deer hunts already planned that are just as good over the counter as most quality hunts here. When I do finally draw, it will be a complete surprise, I will hunt the heck out of the tag then cease applying for deer as well.

It is more money to hunt out of state but worth it to me because hunting is one of my passions and you never know what life can throw at you and when it will be your last hoorah. Might as well make the most out of every fall you have.  :twocents:
  I disagree with this and not what I meant.  What I meant was take Washington for what it is.  It's cheap as hell to apply here as a resident so why would you not use the added opportunity to possibly draw.  Just don't get roped into the idea that your points will give you any significant advantage over the guy with 1 point. If you luck out and draw a permit it is almost always going to be a fun time.   There's always a weekend or two somewhere that you can fit in a hunt as a resident so picking up a deer/elk combo, a few permits and tossing darts at the board is most certainly worth it. Just my  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt

Your last point is exactly why I apply for everywhere that I can each year. You never know what life is going to throw you, so take every opportunity possible.  :twocents:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer

I disagree with this and not what I meant.  What I meant was take Washington for what it is.  It's cheap as hell to apply here as a resident so why would you not use the added opportunity to possibly draw.  Just don't get roped into the idea that your points will give you any significant advantage over the guy with 1 point. If you luck out and draw a permit it is almost always going to be a fun time.   There's always a weekend or two somewhere that you can fit in a hunt as a resident so picking up a deer/elk combo, a few permits and tossing darts at the board is most certainly worth it. Just my  :twocents:

I wasn't implying it was what you meant. I was giving my viewpoint piggybacking off what you said.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Applicants with more points have better odds than applicants with fewer points.

However, once you get past around six or seven points odds tend to flatten out and increase very slightly over lower point totals.

Going from one point to two points is a big step since you go from having one name in the hat to four: a fourfold increase in one year.  Going from 7 points to 10 points only doubles the number of “names in the hat” over three years.

Here’s a graph of actual “1 in” odds of drawing a quality elk permit in 2017. With one point odds were 1 in 258. With ten points they were 1 in 18. With 20 points they were 1 in 5.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Only certainty with Washington draws is you are 100% guaranteed not to draw if you don't apply
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Johnny Doe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter

:yeah: Nailed it!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
IMO your spot on to invest in a unit you know well, regardless of points invested.  I tend to think an often overlooked downside to points in general is they can give a false impression of the potential of the unit for those who haven't done a lot of research. Even those who do extensive research are still prone to surprises, as boots on the ground scouting is often limited or non existent for many of the applicant in the units they are applying in. "Hard to draw" doesn't always equal "big bulls easy to hunt."   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Only certainty with Washington draws is you are 100% guaranteed not to draw if you don't apply

Boom. You nailed it again.

As much as I cringe at the potential repercussions of saying this...I'm a great example of the opposite end of this conversation, and there are a lot of others who have been relatively successful in the draws like I have. I have drawn a quality deer tag with 4 points, a buck deer permit with 6 points and a goat tag with 9 points. This is the first year I'll have double digit points in any category.
I'm feeling good about drawing another buck deer tag this year, we'll see. I don't apply for the top end hunts that a lot of others do, but I've had nothing but amazing experiences with those hunts that I have drawn so far.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
I don't have a bunch of points, but don't really feel any pressure.  I agree that even with good hunt draws in WA, you can get as good if not better OTC hunts in other states.

For $13, I'll take a swing at elk, but I think this is my last year for deer and I'm on the fence for OIL draws.  I looked at the math and for what I spent this year in tags and special draw permits, I could hunt antelope in WY every other year.  I don't really enjoy OTC hunting in WA, seems like I can't get a decent hunt in as there are just too many people and too short of a season.  I am in a somewhat unique position in that I can hunt deer and elk every year in MT for 1/2 price, so it's just worth the 4-5 extra hours compared with eastern WA.

With a limited budget as the kids grow, I think I am better off spending the $250 in deer/elk/permit applications in WA for other states and have MT as my guaranteed elk & deer hunt.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
The pressure comes when you draw that once in a lifetime tag!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10