collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Carrying sidearm while scouting/hunting/etc  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Carrying sidearm while scouting/hunting/etc
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 03:22:38 AM »
I carry almost every time I’m out in the woods, especially in the spring while shed hunting.   Lately I carry my Sig p320 on my hip with the factory holster.   I don’t really have any complaints, or see a need to change anything.   It’s fine in the comfort department and quick/easy to draw from.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:44 AM »

Ruger .357 in thigh holster. Ready for quick draw if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 06:12:06 AM »
As an interesting follow-up to this, what are your thoughts on caliber? I had a long discussion with a friend about the effectiveness of a 9mm against a cougar or black bear (however unlikely), and he was of the mind that a 9mm, even with multiple shots just won't get the job done.
I had planned on ordering a G20 anyway but the conversation did push me to order it a bit sooner than I would've otherwise.

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 06:30:36 AM »
cross draw since my bino case sits on my chest.

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »

On longer hikes does the drop thigh affect your gait or pace? I've got a Ruger blackhawk I've been trying to find a good carry for
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
As an interesting follow-up to this, what are your thoughts on caliber? I had a long discussion with a friend about the effectiveness of a 9mm against a cougar or black bear (however unlikely), and he was of the mind that a 9mm, even with multiple shots just won't get the job done.
I had planned on ordering a G20 anyway but the conversation did push me to order it a bit sooner than I would've otherwise.

Police use them on 300 pound people every day, so they would likely work but you won't see many people recommend them.  That said, the 9 mm is much better for multiple shot scenarios than a heavier recoil load and all of the advice is anecdotal at best.  Current bullet technology and +P or +P+ loads really made a difference in the effectiveness.

I do believe bears are harder to stop quickly.  Even vital shots take longer I believe, maybe due to their slower heart rate.  For a bear, I would always use spray if it wasn't on top of me.  10-20 9mm rounds flying around the woods under a stressful situation isn't the safest thing if you have hunting buddies.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »

Police use them on 300 pound people every day, so they would likely work but you won't see many people recommend them.  That said, the 9 mm is much better for multiple shot scenarios than a heavier recoil load and all of the advice is anecdotal at best.  Current bullet technology and +P or +P+ loads really made a difference in the effectiveness.

I do believe bears are harder to stop quickly.  Even vital shots take longer I believe, maybe due to their slower heart rate.  For a bear, I would always use spray if it wasn't on top of me.  10-20 9mm rounds flying around the woods under a stressful situation isn't the safest thing if you have hunting buddies.

I definitely agree with having spray around, but I just think back to all the interviews of bear attack survivors when they talk about using the spray and then the bear walking through it like nothing at all happened, and their gun was out of reach. Yikes. I'll take "both options", please. ;)

Offline doubletall

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
This is my next purchase related to carrying.

I carry a Glock 20 in my Gunfighter backpacking and mt biking and couldn't be happier with it; I forget its there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:46:33 PM by doubletall »

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

On longer hikes does the drop thigh affect your gait or pace? I've got a Ruger blackhawk I've been trying to find a good carry for

Not that I have noticed. That’s what I have in the holster “Blackhawk”. I’ve tried belt holster, shoulder holster and chest holster. I archery hunt only and with the shoulder and chest holster I have trouble carrying the gun and binos on my chest.

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
I use a blackhawk holster on my belt for my pack . never enen know its there . i carry a px4 .45 with a decocker . never a saftey issue .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 08:09:52 AM »
I have a shoulder harness for my XD .45 from Camano Ridge Custom Leathers. It's very nice.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »

I dont have an issue with the 9mm. It is effective. A Guide in Alaska put down a charging brown bear with his...

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »
@C-Money

Oh wow that's a great article, thank you! While maybe not the perfect caliber for it, it looks like 9mm could certainly handle a cougar or black bear.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »
@C-Money

Oh wow that's a great article, thank you! While maybe not the perfect caliber for it, it looks like 9mm could certainly handle a cougar or black bear.

just like when it comes to hunting it's all about shot placement  :tup: if I was in grizzly country then no question I would get a glock 20 in 10mm.

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
A few that I use quite a bit.  See if you spot the theme...

Left to right:

S&W 696 3" .44 Special on a sling pack with basic L-frame 3-slot holster.   The 3 slot allows you to wear it like an in waistband booster, between the strap and your chest.  Very low profile and does not flop at all.  A lot of people discourage off body carry but I have look at this like a chest rig that just happens to hold water, trail cams, and bike repair stuff.

S&W 629 6.5" .44 mag and Hunter brand shoulder rig.  Only >4" hunting legal of the three.  I added the brass buckle at the bottom with some leather strands.  It is stiff, attaches to front left belt loop, and keeps the whole thing pretty solid despite just one strap.  Sits fairly vertically so my hand is at chin level before it clears leather, but not too bad to draw.  Fits a number of 6.5" revolvers and they are very reasonably priced.

Ruger SBH 3.75" .44 mag in Simply Rugged Pancake with Chesty Puller option.  Great quality, very adjustable.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 07:02:34 AM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by blackveltbowhunter
[Today at 06:44:48 AM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 06:33:38 AM]

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]