collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ever been Fooled by another Hunter answering your Elk Call  (Read 6156 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Ever been Fooled by another Hunter answering your Elk Call
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »
I like the roar of the diesel truck, silence,  doors slamming then the call.  Some with real sneeky skills even wait 2 minutes before letting a bugle go. :chuckle:

sometimes I like to answer back with a nice rip and chuckle just to give them their thrill so they can come back on here and declare how the elk are really fired up :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
I like the roar of the diesel truck, silence,  doors slamming then the call.  Some with real sneeky skills even wait 2 minutes before letting a bugle go. :chuckle:

sometimes I like to answer back with a nice rip and chuckle just to give them their thrill so they can come back on here and declare how the elk are really fired up :chuckle:

You must be in a good area if they get out of the truck to call.  Someday I'll invent a bugle that mounts to the exhaust and all you have to do is give it some gas every hundred yards up the road.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
I creeped into a wallow area last year...cow called and immediately got a response from two hunters sitting on it.  So I gave a goofy sounding call to let them know and I left. 

I get about 300 yards back up the hill and hear them following me and calling again.  So I start cutting and yelping like a hen turkey...still got a bugle in response.  So I second guess my original thought and sit for a minute until I see Big Enis and Lil' Enis working their way up to me  :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
I called in CoryTDF a few years ago on an archery hunt.  We both thought we were about to tag out... :P
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »

Hey it works!  Not what I recommend but when elk are rutting they dont notice much other than other elk sounds.  I  called in a bull within 50 yards of my truck by accident.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
As far as I know I've never been fooled by a hunter's elk calling, though there are hundreds of times when neither elk or hunter was ever seen.  I have DEFINITELY heard a lot of really awful elk calling by elk.  I have called in a few other hunters unintentionally, and also messed with other hunters but never had it turn into a real elk. 

I'm also not an excellent caller but I've only once had a fired up bull spook off from bad calling - as long as I just keep calling.  That one time the latex in my call split at a really bad time (snot-slinging, red-eyed heavy 6x6 at 65 yards whipping his head around after a 200 yard dead run to come kill the bull bugling below his cows), that sound was like someone stomping a burlap sack full of dropkick dogs, I tried to bugle a second time, same sound - he stopped motionless for a few seconds, trotted silently back to his cows and pushed them down into a canyon.

I have heard it said a real bull could never finish in the top 5 at the National calling championships. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
I have never been fooled by a hunter thinking it was a Bull but have been fooled a few times thinking it was a hunter but ended up being a Bull
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Nice Racks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: McChord AFB Archery Club
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
I've called in a wdfw employee with some chuckles.  I also called in a father and son team twice within 2 hrs. The first time was funny, we laughed about it. The second time they came in to my bugeling using hoochie mommas. Me and my friend just snuck away.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
I've called in a wdfw employee with some chuckles.  I also called in a father and son team twice within 2 hrs. The first time was funny, we laughed about it. The second time they came in to my bugeling using hoochie mommas. Me and my friend just snuck away.

in my experience, tooting on a hoochie mamma is like pulling a fire alarm at a high school... best way to clear your side of the mountain... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
I have never been fooled by a hunter thinking it was a Bull but have been fooled a few times thinking it was a hunter but ended up being a Bull
Dang it !!!!! I have had a few times that I would have bet the farm that it was a hunter only to find out it was a real bull.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 07:31:23 AM »
I've had a few times where I was crashing through the brush, looking to exit the area or no better way to get out of a hole. Twice I got to within 10-20 yards of unknown elk (one bull, one cow).  Thats pretty fun. Another time, a hunter came to investigate.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:12:55 AM by Fl0und3rz »

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
I heard some twig snaps up a drainage from me 2 years ago and let out a cow call, 15 minutes later a guy snuck by me from that direction.  I guess we kinda fooled each other. 

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 09:06:43 AM »
Absolutely, chase enough bugles it is going to happen.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »

in my experience, tooting on a hoochie mamma is like pulling a fire alarm at a high school... best way to clear your side of the mountain... :chuckle:

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »

I got a Bull with his 30 cows to come in to my hoochie mama last year. Never had any luck with it before that, but after listening to that heard of cows chirping back and forth a soft hoochie mama call was pretty spot on.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]