collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It begins again, more wolf cattle kills 2018  (Read 17081 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: It begins again, more wolf cattle kills 2018
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
This ain't a street corner vendor in a city trying to stop thieves from stealing a soda pop, it's spread over 1000's of acres.  The wolf advocates want ranchers to do all these things to prevent wolves from killing their livestock but it doesn't work.  Several ranchers and sheep herders in this area have worked very closely with CNW, DOW and other NGO's including WDFW to deter wolves all to no avail.  The fladdery, super fladdery, range riders ETC ETC ETC ETC (and new stuff being added all the time because the old stuff doesn't work)
"wolf prevention" is just political capitol to sell to the ignorant public "see we're doing everything we can", and when it doesn't work....well, see the case of Dashell.

Dashell was ranging his sheep on private property he went from a model rancher with NGO's and WDFW singing praises at how everyone should emulate him, he was hanging fladdery, range riders - all of the stuff the wolf huggers wanted he was putting it up, then wolves came and ate his sheep, WDFW issued kill permits so he could defend his sheep,  then all the sudden he was a welfare rancher on the dole, grazing his sheep in wolf country and was a big POS.  He got threats on his phone, email and social media. Literally overnight he was demonized, he had to gather the community and move his sheep off private property to a different location. 

He had a mutually beneficial deal to knock down noxious weeds off timber ground, I think it was Stimson, so now they got to spray chemical crap all over the ground.

but I'm sure that's very similar to a thief trying to lift a pack of cigs.

Apples to Audis (the alliteration makes it sound better than using Volkswagen) is a fair comparison in some situations. We're not comparing their ability to perform a specific task, just showing the similarity between two different businesses which revolve around two different commodities. The exact commodity isn't necessarily relevant to the big picture of what's going on.

Even in the example you gave, the similarities are there. Ranchers have a commodity they're trying to protect from theft/loss. They initially follow accepted "best practices" to reduce the inevitable loss of goods. In your scenario those steps failed so the rancher stepped up and took on the additional expense of trying more aggressive tactics to reduce the loss/theft. When that failed he went to a government agency for additional options which were given in the form of a kill permit. What isn't clear in your example is whether or not the rancher followed through with the kill permits. I'm also unclear whether the land he was initially on was owned by him or if it was property owned by a private timber company which he used under a mutually beneficial agreement.

In your example you have a private company which took basic steps to prevent loss of goods, then moved to more advanced methods to prevent loss, the looked to a government agency for a solution which (likely) was tried but failed to resolve the bigger issue of loss/theft. That sounds a awful lot like the example I gave. :dunno: Change the commodity we're talking about and the scenario is very similar.

The government protects the wolves, but outlaws and prosecutes thieves.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  Pull your head out if the sand.    :bash:

And we all know that by outlawing and prosecuting thieves the issue has been completely resolved. :rolleyes: It would be interesting to see what the total percentage of loss is in each industry. What percentage of total revenue is lost in the ranching industry to predators relative to the percentage of revenue lost to theft in the retail industry? Additionally, what percentage of total revenue in each industry is spent on preventative measures to reduce loss?

The biggest difference I see is that you would face more repercussion if wolves are shot than robbers.
Depending on where you are that might be true! I remember asking the local PD if I could use lethal force after somebody stole something off one of my delivery vehicles (which the driver left inadequately secured). The advice I was given is that vehicular man slaughter carries a pretty short sentence. Maybe the same applies for "roadkill" wolves. :chuckle:

WDFW went forward with the kill permit, I don't recall for sure if Dashell used it or tried too,  WDFW eventually hired contract hunters but they killed the breeding female by accident, the backlash from the public was such that the whole thing was scrapped.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:54:41 PM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »
You are trying to look for parallels between small business and ranching, there are of course some, so I'll give you an example of one:

As a business owner do you just roll belly up and sell out when things aren't going your way? or do you do everything you can within the confines of the law to reduce losses? 

That is what's going on here, ranchers are trying to mitigate losses by educating the public and pressure WDFW to act, that is the same as I would expect any business owner to do, it could be educating the public about the new Seattle head tax and how it'll hurt their business and how they might leave Seattle or whatever the case might be.   

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Wolf control issues that the CNW types want, is like gun control. They add new ways to protect the wolves, like new gun control laws that hurt the citizens who can legally own firearms and the ranchers are the ones getting hit in the pocket by new ways to protect the wolves and cannot do anything about it, except cringe at the stupidest things our government comes up with....

IT SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK...............
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
The biggest difference I see is that you would face more repercussion if wolves are shot than robbers.
I hope your joking because it's certainly not true.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
I hope your joking because it's certainly not true.

It was an off the cuff comment, but it sure seems some ranchers have had more problems over wolves being killed to protect livestock than people have had when shooting a robber in their house? Just think about what we see in the main stream media to put that in perspective!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
More info about this recent kill, WDFW is letting the pack have a free pass on the last calf because the rancher wan't employing at least two wolf deterrent methods. WDFW was just on local radio explaining why the pack will get the free pass and the kill don't count against the pack! Once they start eating beef they will continue! :bash:

Togo pack kills Ferry County calf; third kill by wolves in 7 months
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/may/24/togo-pack-wolf-kills-ferry-county-calf/
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »
 :bash:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
 :bash: :bash:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
Don't forget : If someone is going to rob and kill you, you must employ 2 deterrents to stop said robber and killer.

I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
First deterrent would be to shout out as loud as I can "Stop Hurting My live Stock" Second would be, Please stop killing my livestock. Third could be screaming at trees, or clouds ? Or  :bfg:

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Don't forget : If someone is going to rob and kill you, you must employ 2 deterrents to stop said robber and killer.

I heard there are silent "special recipes" that work very well as a deterrent, robbers just disappear. :yike:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »

I heard there are silent "special recipes" that work very well as a deterrent, robbers just disappear. :yike:
FYI: You can buy Xylitol at any health food store.  Little store in Diamond Lake has it.  Deadly for canines, but harmless for other animals and widely used as a zero calorie sugar replacement by humans. 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2018, 07:16:56 PM »

FYI: You can buy Xylitol at any health food store.  Little store in Diamond Lake has it.  Deadly for canines, but harmless for other animals and widely used as a zero calorie sugar replacement by humans.

Idaho had/has a special, sweetened meatballs, just right for gulping...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]