collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: dog hunting  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Ziptie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
dog hunting
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:42 AM »
Is this a good time to hunt coyote are they still with pups?  I got some free time this weekend 5/26.  I do not want to kill dogs that have pups still. 

Thanks,
-The harder you work, the luckier you become.

Offline Ballance1

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • The Shed Taxidermy Studio
Re: dog hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
better hold off if you're worried about pups

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
Why not kill them with pups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Ziptie

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.
-The harder you work, the luckier you become.

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
Management Management Management!  Pup grow up to kill.  Not like I love shooting babies but you kill a pup coyote that one less out there.   :tup:
Live Every Day To The Fullest

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
Most pups will be between 6 and 10 weeks right now.  I don't care if you kill pups or adults, but letting pups starve or die of dehydration is pretty cruel.  So take them all out humanely.   :twocents:
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Thehowler

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »
As humanely as they kill calves and fawns. :twocents:
MAGA, Never give up.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
One thing I never understand is everyone hating on Coyotes, or other predators, saying to kill as many as you can, look at the damage they do, the population is out of control etc... and yet worrying about the pups ? If this was a wolf discussion would you worry about the pups ? Each female spawns how many pups ? How many of them will be female's spawning how many pups ?

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
killing calves and fawns is part of the cycle of life, coyotes do no more harm than we do.  The calve and fawns are headed to the butcher to feel us someday.  Coyotes are here to provide us with warm pelts.  If you kill coyotes in the winter they can provide you with an income and then they won't have those dastardly pups in the spring.  killing coyotes in the summer is just a waste.  Personally I think there should be a fall/winter season on public lands for coyotes.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »
killing calves and fawns is part of the cycle of life, coyotes do no more harm than we do.  The calve and fawns are headed to the butcher to feel us someday.  Coyotes are here to provide us with warm pelts.  If you kill coyotes in the winter they can provide you with an income and then they won't have those dastardly pups in the spring.  killing coyotes in the summer is just a waste.  Personally I think there should be a fall/winter season on public lands for coyotes.
Agree here,i start hunting coyotes in late October thru February.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
As humanely as they kill calves and fawns. :twocents:

You are tougher than I am.  I have seen pups die in this manner and it is difficult to watch.  Do you watch an adult coyote run around with its intestines strewn out 12 feet behind them, or do you put a second bullet into them?  That's all I am saying.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
Do what you will, I do not hunt right now but I really don't know why. People get on a soap box about hunting "pups" at 6-9 weeks but it is OK at 12-14 weeks? What is the age? You have to live with yourself, do what you will.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
I just picked up a copy of Sportsman's News and found this article by Gary Lewis. I'll quote the parts that relate to this topic ( i think )
" Who hunts Coyotes in the summer? The serious coyote hunters, the ones who understand how important it is to keep predator numbers in balance, protecting the young ungulates, trying to get a foothold in life.
Out here in the west, when we take a hungry coyote out of the pack, we are helping mule deer. Each one that assumes room temperature makes it more possible for deer and antelope fawns to grow up.
But we are creatures of habit and don't start thinking about coyote hunting until coyote pelts thicken up with the coming of winter. That should change.
To really help mule deer and pronghorns, we should hunt coyotes from February and into June and July.
Males and females begin to pair up in February and are well into the breeding season in March. They set up the pair bond, establish a den site and start to defend it.
Take out a male or a female in the month of march and the surviving partner will not be able to find a new mate before denning season starts. Keep hunting. In April, It is important to try to break up pairs because it difficult for the remaining coyote to raise a litter of pups.
In May and June, coyotes are raising pups and at this time, they prey heavily on deer and antelope herds and even on elk calves hidden in grass. Near ranches and farms, coyotes watch for opportunities to pounce on lambs or calves. Often the coyote will attack a calf as it's mother is giving birth.
Take a coyote in May and June and the number of coyotes that are pestering the herds is reduced at the time when baby fawns, kids and calves are at their most vulnerable."
This makes sense to me.

I have to admit that I have not hunted yotes since the early eighty's and then it was just for fun. And we were never any good at it. I am just curious as to why people are so selective on coyotes.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »

:yeah: they grow up to be fawn killers. Might as well shoot the  pups or let Mother Nature take care of them after mom isn’t around!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »

:yeah: they grow up to be fawn killers. Might as well shoot the  pups or let Mother Nature take care of them after mom isn’t around!
100% agree!  :yeah: There is ALWAYS a firearm either on me or in my vehicle when I'm scouting or hunting. If I see a coyote then it becomes a coyote hunt! I don't care what time of year it is or if they have pups or not. If killing 1 saves fawns and elk calves then it gets killed. We have too many issues as it is with predators. Bears and Cougars are at a high and that hurts the elk and deer numbers enough already!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]