collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt. View Unit  (Read 42980 times)

Offline deek05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Mt. View Unit
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I was all over the lick crick unit the 2nd weekend. Saw lots of elk no spikes. Wish I would have seen this then earlier, Bro-in-law and I would have helped you pack out. He was getting frustrated/depressed. Would have given him something else to focus on. LOL!

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
Huntnnw, thanks for sharing those pics.  Great bulls.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Sounds like the number of mountain view applications will go up next year after this thread .... Haha anyone thinking of applying please look at a topographic map and realize what you are signing up for.  Blue mountains are not for the weak legged or out of shape folks.

I'm guessing you are right about the number of applications.  Likely more from the pics and stories of big bulls than from the bull I brought home and certainly even more likely from the monster bull that Rinella took home or the big bulls with which the other permit holders had success.  I was cognizant of the impact the thread might have on applications, but I learned a few years back that honest sharing about what I see and encounter in the elk woods has come back to me in a positive way much greater than any benefit I ever gained by giving inaccurate answers about the elk I had just been chasing.

As for the ruggedness of the Blues, that is not an understatement. I know of several hunters who drew permits over the years, saw magnificent, life-time bulls from a distance, but couldn't get to them.  I saw the terrain overwhelm younger hunters this year, as well. But, in keeping with the statement in my first paragraph, there are areas that hold bulls into which I would have taken my Dad at 80 years old. (He is a beast of a man, who pulled hose on wildfire until he was 65, so maybe the cutoff is around 65 for the rest of us mere mortals.) Those areas are small, limited, and accessed by other hunters:  most of the unit is vertical and rugged.

I had planned to camp in the bottom of Wenatchee Creek canyon for most of the hunt. I would not recommend that. The bottom is so steep and brushy that camping in one spot is limiting.  I would recommend hunting down to the bottom of Wenatchee Creek canyon (and the sides and tops), but think that it is better done with a bivy bag and camp on your back--or hiking out, if you are hunting the tops.  Bivy hunting was Huntnnw's recommendation to me as well.  Access to elk increased when I was able to sleep where the day ended.

I'll apply again next year.  Wanna put this year's knowledge to work!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
Id second looking at a map before applying these big bulls are in very tough places to access and the hunting part can be tough and physically exhausting . Its the if and when you get a bull down when things get real in a hurry  :chuckle: And horses here are pretty much useless in most of this unit unless you kill a bull near some of the trails and still could have a lot of work to get it to the horses. I have already planned on it taking me 2 days of packing to get a elk out of most of the areas I am hunting solo. Sleeping with camp on your back is the way to go it will save you legs tremendously. Hiking out and back to the truck every day will wear you down.

Ran into this herd on the way out in the road.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:09:56 AM by huntnnw »

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
Thanks Shawn. I agree, this hunt would make is great video, and it will! I got some great footage of the hunt, kill shot, death and will be putting it all together in the next months.  I run a head camera mount company, so I have to get all of my hunting on film and have developed ways of getting entertaining footage with minimal effort.

Also, I'm not so sure Steve is a better hunter than you.  For one thing, he had a team. The other, you could strike out on 100 opportunities in a row, or get one your first try.  Luck, or rather a lack of bad luck certainly play a big role in it.  Just like you not getting a shot due to the brush being a little too tall.  I should also let you know that I have had the tag twice before and have had significantly less success.  The first go round I ate the tag.  On the second round, I ended up shooting a 6x1. This season I decided any 6 point would do on last day; luckily the bull I got provided me with a shot, but at that time, a bull like yours would have fell victim as well to me as well.   

Thanks again for the write up and sharing your adventures!

didn't you have this tag 4 years ago?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:09 AM »
Some more bulls. These are either 7x6 or 7x7 bulls plus there was atleast 2-3 more bulls bugling in the canyon they were in. (turn volume up and can hear bulls talking)

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I was all over the lick crick unit the 2nd weekend. Saw lots of elk no spikes. Wish I would have seen this then earlier, Bro-in-law and I would have helped you pack out. He was getting frustrated/depressed. Would have given him something else to focus on. LOL!

Would have been happy to take you up on that offer.  The frustration and depression might have been relieved or exacerbated by the bull bugling for two days one small ridge over while I packed out!

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2018, 05:28:40 PM »
Congratulations.  Great experience and story.  Thank you for sharing.
275 down 2

Online emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
Id second looking at a map before applying these big bulls are in very tough places to access and the hunting part can be tough and physically exhausting . Its the if and when you get a bull down when things get real in a hurry  :chuckle: And horses here are pretty much useless in most of this unit unless you kill a bull near some of the trails and still could have a lot of work to get it to the horses. I have already planned on it taking me 2 days of packing to get a elk out of most of the areas I am hunting solo. Sleeping with camp on your back is the way to go it will save you legs tremendously. Hiking out and back to the truck every day will wear you down.

Ran into this herd on the way out in the road.
That dirty old man was sniffing a calves butt #meelk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
Sounds like the number of mountain view applications will go up next year after this thread .... Haha anyone thinking of applying please look at a topographic map and realize what you are signing up for.  Blue mountains are not for the weak legged or out of shape folks.
I'm guessing you are right about the number of applications.  Likely more from the pics and stories of big bulls than from the bull I brought home and certainly even more likely from the monster bull that Rinella took home or the big bulls with which the other permit holders had success.  I was cognizant of the impact the thread might have on applications, but I learned a few years back that honest sharing about what I see and encounter in the elk woods has come back to me in a positive way much greater than any benefit I ever gained by giving inaccurate answers about the elk I had just been chasing.

I don't believe this will affect much for the drawing out of the normal, the trend has already started:

2017 - Quality Elk apps - 480 rifle, 127 Archery, 100 Muzzy.
2018 - Quality Elk apps - 961 rifle, 201 Archery, 140 Muzzy.

Thanks to all for all the great stories, pictures, and information.  I've had 20 years of never being able to chase around Eastside bulls, other than spikes, and this was one of the coolest threads to live vicariously through!

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2018, 07:49:52 AM »
I'm gonna try that chainsaw call.

Seems to really get them fired up!!!

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »

I don't believe this will affect much for the drawing out of the normal, the trend has already started:

2017 - Quality Elk apps - 480 rifle, 127 Archery, 100 Muzzy.
2018 - Quality Elk apps - 961 rifle, 201 Archery, 140 Muzzy.

Thanks to all for all the great stories, pictures, and information.  I've had 20 years of never being able to chase around Eastside bulls, other than spikes, and this was one of the coolest threads to live vicariously through!

Thanks.  And thanks to everyone who read along and commented.  Your participation was fun for me, too.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
I'm gonna try that chainsaw call.

Seems to really get them fired up!!!

:yeah:  :chuckle:

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
Thanks Shawn. I agree, this hunt would make is great video, and it will! I got some great footage of the hunt, kill shot, death and will be putting it all together in the next months.  I run a head camera mount company, so I have to get all of my hunting on film and have developed ways of getting entertaining footage with minimal effort.

Also, I'm not so sure Steve is a better hunter than you.  For one thing, he had a team. The other, you could strike out on 100 opportunities in a row, or get one your first try.  Luck, or rather a lack of bad luck certainly play a big role in it.  Just like you not getting a shot due to the brush being a little too tall.  I should also let you know that I have had the tag twice before and have had significantly less success.  The first go round I ate the tag.  On the second round, I ended up shooting a 6x1. This season I decided any 6 point would do on last day; luckily the bull I got provided me with a shot, but at that time, a bull like yours would have fell victim as well to me as well.   

Yes he did. I met him down by grouse flats on the same hunt I met you and Chris on. Great guy.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »

Yes he did. I met him down by grouse flats on the same hunt I met you and Chris on. Great guy.

funny we both drew 4 years later

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab