collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Hunting University - Elk101  (Read 2917 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Elk Hunting University - Elk101
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
I've considered getting this membership, but have never been able to talk myself into it as I just don't hunt during the rut. Is there a benefit to it for a general season rifle hunter? I could potentially see a benefit as we're hunting Idaho more and more, and last year we had bulls bugling while in there.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Elk Hunting University - Elk101
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing.  I did pick up the elknut app and watch any YouTube with Paul in it and that has taught me a bunch.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
I chatted with WapitiTalk1 last year who works closely with Paul. I was preparing for my quality elk hunt and he gave me some great insight on rut tactics, that definitely helped me in the field. Great guy and I would gladly support their business if I felt it would benefit me. I just don't know how much Elk101 offers in the post rut/rifle season realm.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
I would have to say yes. I did the course right when it came out and sense then they have added a ton of new content. A lot of the course is strategy, and knowledge that is applicable to all elk hunting. I believe that recently Randy Newberg added into it a rifle hunting section.

I'm not saying that the course is magic, since I have been doing way more hunting these last few years averaging 10-14 days for elk, but I have dropped an elk the last 4 years in a row now, quite a bit have been small tips that I picked up through the course, like how to play the wind and how to locate elk. If you can't find them you can't kill them.

If you sign up, please use my email and refer me. Its my shameless plug for $10 gift cards which I buy Phelps calls with. :)

joe.r.petersen@gmail.com

Offline jaredwitman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
I had this membership two seasons ago. It has alot of great info, not all geared toward hunting the rut. Its a really good overview on elk behavior in general, tips and what not on picking a spot (google earth included) and at the very least its a flat out good read in general. It seemed like alot of time and effort went into the thing. Im not sure on price anymore but I think it was around 100 bucks for the year... Easily one of the best ways you could spend 100 dollars. Many years of experience, trial and error compiled in to one program to save on time and boot leather. I would say some of the info didn't necessarily ring true to the type of hunting, area, and season dates I usually hunt but I did find it beneficial. I heard on his podcast that he was working on an addition to the program including a rifle section? not sure. The more info the better in my opinion. Pass on a couple nights out with the spouse and the thing is paid for in no time.  :tup: I would give it a go

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
I had this membership two seasons ago. It has alot of great info, not all geared toward hunting the rut. Its a really good overview on elk behavior in general, tips and what not on picking a spot (google earth included) and at the very least its a flat out good read in general. It seemed like alot of time and effort went into the thing. Im not sure on price anymore but I think it was around 100 bucks for the year... Easily one of the best ways you could spend 100 dollars. Many years of experience, trial and error compiled in to one program to save on time and boot leather. I would say some of the info didn't necessarily ring true to the type of hunting, area, and season dates I usually hunt but I did find it beneficial. I heard on his podcast that he was working on an addition to the program including a rifle section? not sure. The more info the better in my opinion. Pass on a couple nights out with the spouse and the thing is paid for in no time:tup: I would give it a go

I'm sure she'll understand and fully support this idea.

Offline fishsticks

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:58 PM »
They're running a promo now where it's only $49.  Use promo code SERVER30.  Joining or renewing also gets you entries into their big promo giveaway that's also running right now.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
They're running a promo now where it's only $49.  Use promo code SERVER30.  Joining or renewing also gets you entries into their big promo giveaway that's also running right now.

That didn't work, but I did get an e-mail for $20 off with code PROMO2018.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
I'm still himming and hawing about it. Can anyone confirm a rifle season addition to it?

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »
I'm still himming and hawing about it. Can anyone confirm a rifle season addition to it?

Call them, get it from the horses mouth, they are known to be good people. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »
I would let you know, but I can't seem to access it now.  It says I have to be a member, so I log in, then it says I have to be a member and I should log out.  I've been in this loop for longer than I care.  I can say the website navigation isn't impressive even while I was able to view the content.

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
They are having problems with high traffic on the website with the promo they are running today

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
I was impressed I got an e-mail from Corey within 5 minutes of using the contact me form.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
I'm all fixed and going through the course now.  The first part has a bunch of stuff good for a new hunter on gear, how to get tags, etc.  I'll let you know in a couple of days how much a strict rifle hunter would get out of it.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
elk101 is legit and I think you can learn a lot no matter what season you hunt. Elk hunting just isn't about blowing a bugle or cow call during the rut.  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal