collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New brass to the market  (Read 3337 times)

Offline calib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
New brass to the market
« on: June 01, 2018, 06:47:16 AM »
Maybe Bertram brass is not new, but there are some cartridges that are in high demand that are being made now.

28 nosler  (with 30 and 26 coming)
300 and 338 norma
(Dasher, 375 snipetac and others are being worked on as well)

Also Winchester short mag,  short action Ultra Mag,  rum and many others are in stock, Take a look!

www.bertrambrass.com

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
Re: New brass to the market
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
In stock and cheaper than Nosler brass  :tup: :tup: :tup:
elkaholic

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Expensive stuff 165 bucks for 100 7mm Rem mag??

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
Over my head....expensive stuff..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
I’m glad to see more new quality brass names in the game with good selection and availability.
I think Ryan Avery is importing and selling the Bertram. I’ve seen him post that it is very tough stuff.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
ADG (Atlas Development Group) and AlphaMunitions are a couple other brass makers that have been gaining popularity and I've been told are making premium brass, as well. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
ADG (Atlas Development Group) and AlphaMunitions are a couple other brass makers that have been gaining popularity and I've been told are making premium brass, as well.
I just got some adg 300 win mag brass. Gonna be loading some to shoot app.  Doing prep on it it seems pretty consistent. It’s very heavy  much heavier than my nosler brass and a good bit heavier than rem or Hornady as well.

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
I just picked up some Bertram 28 nosler brass along with ADG 338 edge. The ADG was very consistent on weight.  Still waiting for 28 nosler brass.  But the fact that Nosler can’t keep up with demand is frustrating.  And Bertram is supposed to last longer.  Remember when brass is heavier it most likely has less case capacity and lowering powder charge will be needed.

Offline rbros

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
I just picked up some Bertram 28 nosler brass along with ADG 338 edge. The ADG was very consistent on weight.  Still waiting for 28 nosler brass.  But the fact that Nosler can’t keep up with demand is frustrating.  And Bertram is supposed to last longer.  Remember when brass is heavier it most likely has less case capacity and lowering powder charge will be needed.

The 28 Nosler and 7 SAUM Bertram are both lighter by about 10% compared to Norma and Nosler.
R Bros Rifles
www.rbrosrifles.com

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
Probably will go this route when I buy another lot of 300 WSM.  This Norma is on it's 7th firing I believe and probably wont go much farther

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
Lapua is now making 300 and 338 Norma Mag brass so maybe there's a slim chance they'll branch out and make brass for a few more cartridges but they seem to be hung up on not making anything with a standard magnum case head size.  :dunno:

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
I have heard that Lapua is purchasing more equipment to offer more choices.  It doesn't make any sense to me that a brass company like Lapua doesn't offer the typical 7RM 300WM and others. 

I am curious if the Bertram brass is lighter, how much more powder will be needed to achieve same velocity.  I have high hopes for the brass and hope it holds up well.  The ADG brass i weighed and measured run-out on last night was less than 1 grain difference on 338 Edge brass over 10 random rounds i checked.  It also had very little run-out on case necks.  .001-.0015

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
The 50 adg 300 won cases I got have about a 2 grain Es on weight.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »
I have heard that Lapua is purchasing more equipment to offer more choices.  It doesn't make any sense to me that a brass company like Lapua doesn't offer the typical 7RM 300WM and others. 

I am curious if the Bertram brass is lighter, how much more powder will be needed to achieve same velocity.  I have high hopes for the brass and hope it holds up well.  The ADG brass i weighed and measured run-out on last night was less than 1 grain difference on 338 Edge brass over 10 random rounds i checked.  It also had very little run-out on case necks.  .001-.0015

Lapua used to make .300 Win Mag brass. I still have some of it. I have no clue why they would quit making it like they did. It could have been all going to the military. Like what happened with the Federal premium factory 190gr match ammo (.300 Win Mag). People for a long time thought Federal quit producing that load but in fact they had ramped up production and the US Gov’t was buying it up.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

Lapua used to make .300 Win Mag brass. I still have some of it. I have no clue why they would quit making it like they did. It could have been all going to the military. Like what happened with the Federal premium factory 190gr match ammo (.300 Win Mag). People for a long time thought Federal quit producing that load but in fact they had ramped up production and the US Gov’t was buying it up.
I think Lapua had contracted with another company to produce the 300 win brass. I’ve read that Norma actually produced it but no way to be sure. I wish whatever they did they would do it again.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
I think Lapua had contracted with another company to produce the 300 win brass. I’ve read that Norma actually produced it but no way to be sure. I wish whatever they did they would do it again.

I talked to Kevin Thomas (Lapua's USA Rep.) about this once and that is what he told me, Lapua subcontracted with Norma to make some 300 Win brass with Lapua head stamp on it, but the brass was produced by Norma.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
RWS makes great 300wm brass
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »

I talked to Kevin Thomas (Lapua's USA Rep.) about this once and that is what he told me, Lapua subcontracted with Norma to make some 300 Win brass with Lapua head stamp on it, but the brass was produced by Norma.
Did they say if it was spec ed to something special or different than the Norma win mag brass? Different alloy? Or anything like that?

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
The only Bertram brass I've used extensively is the 375 CheyTac brass I use in my 338. It's good strong brass, but the rims are inconsistent. The diameters and thickness on the rims is enough of an issue that I have to actually sort it. My BAT action with a sliding plate style extractor will take all of it but the Lawton's Sako style extractor struggles with probably 10% of the brass.

I'm on 5-6 firings on most of my cases and the primer pockets are still as tight as the day I got them, so it seems to hold up pretty well. I don't push it very hard though. That was the whole reason for going with a case this big. I'd rather throttle back a large case than red line a smaller case (338 Lapua improved) to get the same performance.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal