collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Legal channels to remove the baiting and hound hunting Initiative of the 90s  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
I think the west side has to stew in their own juices for a while longer.

*If* they (we) ever vote in a good conservative governor then I'll have hope for game management rules.  :twocents:

They like their own juices. It's free juice for many of them. The Ds are growing their voter base with freebies and fairy tales of Utopia and rainbow-colored puppies. These are the same people that will march to the drumbeat of the oppressive government our forefathers warned us about. If you think voting on this now would turn out better than it did 22 years ago, you haven't been paying attention to the northbound CA license plates and spike in patchouli sales. The increase in people who are really ignorant about scientific wildlife management (including in our own DFW) is shocking.

Agree, but somewhere down the road there will be pain.  The grasshoppers haven't felt winters chill yet.
Your disdain for western Wa gets old. Sad you hate a whole group of people because they have a large population of people living near them that vote and think wrong.

There are plenty of fine conservative minded people living in western Washington.  Just wanted to remind you of that.  Carry on. :salute:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Your disdain for western Wa gets old. Sad you hate a whole group of people because they have a large population of people living near them that vote and think wrong.

There are plenty of fine conservative minded people living in western Washington.  Just wanted to remind you of that.  Carry on. :salute:

I don't hate anyone, I hate how they vote.  Don't personalize something that wasn't personal.

Offline Curly

• Legend
I'm not personalizing anything.  Just pointing out that you constantly complain about the people of western Washington.

I'm guilty of complaining about the people of Seattle or Olympia (or San Francisco) in the past, but I do try hard lately not to anymore.  In part because of websites like this where I get to read and discuss issues with like minded people who just happen to live in some liberal dominated cities. 

One year when I was back in Wyoming and a rancher asked where we were from, I could see the contempt on his face and in his voice when he found out we were from WA state.  I got the feeling he has contempt for the whole state because he feels like WA voters are a bunch of idiots for always voting for the like of Obama and Clinton.  My point is even you being in E WA can get looked down upon by because you are from WA.

It is frustrating that voters of King County dominate the votes and a lot of them are in the big cities like Seattle and that is how we end up with things I655 passing, but there are also lots of voters in those areas that voted against that.  Oregon has the same issue with being ruled by Portland, CA has similar issues with being ruled by LA..........it sucks but I just think it better not to lump entire groups of people together.  :twocents:

Anyway, back to the topic........sorry for the threadjack.

Isn't there some rule/law about a voter initiative only being valid for 2 years.  I can't remember exactly what that deals with or the specifics?  Maybe it has something to do with the legislature has the right change the law after 2 years?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer

Isn't there some rule/law about a voter initiative only being valid for 2 years.  I can't remember exactly what that deals with or the specifics?  Maybe it has something to do with the legislature has the right change the law after 2 years?

I think that is true.  Reading the link that BlacktailSniper posted early and reposted below, the initiative was passed in 1996 and revised in 2000 by the legislature.  If that is the case they could revise it to allow baiting only buy permit/buy a permit to bait thus raising revenue.  They could also revise it to allow the use if dogs with a licensed guide, again generating revenue.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-court-of-appeals/1091801.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:54:47 PM by Rainier10 »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
If people on the Eastside showed up to vote, we could get this reversed.

I don't think that the demographics support your basic  thesis
My point is that if you look at the results for the last several elections, less than 50 percent of Eastside voters in each county returned ballots. And there are several counties where it's less than 40 percent. The first time I made this observation was when I-594 was passed by a relatively narrow margin. If every conservative in the state actually voted, then a lot of these laws wouldn't pass. But in the same regard, if every single registered voter in the state actually voted, then yes, there are more registered democrats. In reality though, it doesn't really matter but one can't help but be optimistic.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Eastern Washington has a population of about 1.5 million. That is less people in that entire side of the state than live in King County.

In the 2010 census, Western Washington had a population of 5,229,486 out of the 6,724,540 in the entire state of Washington.

Source:  Wiki, but easily verified from the US Census. And the numbers quoted are from 2010, so the delta is even greater now

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:48:42 PM by Knocker of rocks »

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Here's my thoughts:

If the legislature allows baiting I see it being regulated. Baiting permits, only certain amounts of bait sites, bait size restrictions, etc. Quite honestly, this is what's done in many states currently. I actually think allowing baiting may happen eventually

I think cougar hound hunting as we knew it is gone forever. I think there's just too many anti's with "gruesome" looking videos out there to sway voters/politicians.

I may be completely wrong, but that's my  :twocents:

Online TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Here's my thoughts:

If the legislature allows baiting I see it being regulated. Baiting permits, only certain amounts of bait sites, bait size restrictions, etc. Quite honestly, this is what's done in many states currently. I actually think allowing baiting may happen eventually

I think cougar hound hunting as we knew it is gone forever. I think there's just too many anti's with "gruesome" looking videos out there to sway voters/politicians.

Even that would be a huge win. IMO though, cougars have had the biggest impact on our herds. More so than bears and wolves combined. So getting hounds back would be the crucial piece of this whole thing. If there was a way, at least.

Online TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
And only half of them vote, that's my point. Look at how many registered voters there are and how many people return ballots per county. The opportunity for an upset to Seattle isn't impossible is what I'm getting at. Wishful thinking? Probably. Long shot? Yes. But not impossible. This really doesn't matter though and is taking away from the thread, I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. We need a lot bigger and more precise plans to be put in place to get this law changed.
Eastern Washington has a population of about 1.5 million. That is less people in that entire side of the state than live in King County.

In the 2010 census, Western Washington had a population of 5,229,486 out of the 6,724,540 in the entire state of Washington.

Source:  Wiki, but easily verified from the US Census. And the numbers quoted are from 2010, so the delta is even greater now

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
And only half of them vote, that's my point. Look at how many registered voters there are and how many people return ballots per county. The opportunity for an upset to Seattle isn't impossible is what I'm getting at. Wishful thinking? Probably. Long shot? Yes. But not impossible. This really doesn't matter though and is taking away from the thread, I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. We need a lot bigger and more precise plans to be put in place to get this law changed.

No look at the numbers.  There are less registered voters in Eastern Washington than in King County.   Take out Spokane and Walla Walla counties, and every single man, woman, child in Eastern Washington could vote regardless of legal status, and they would not have as many voters as King and Snohomish counties.   Add to the fact that the entire I-5 Canada to Olympia, plus Kitsap, plus every island is one big voting block, and your theory has no foundation.

It's simple demographics based on the simple fact that the population of Eastern Washington is small in comparison to that of the Puget Trough.   Add that to the fact that say in the case of overturning the 1996 initiatives that the support of Spokane, Benton, Walla Walla, Kittitas, Yakima, and Chelan would be uncertain.  Numerically, who cares if it would garner 100% of the vote in Wahkiakum, Garfield, Ferry and Columbia Counties.  Those votes would be totally offset by a building or two in Seattle.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge

No look at the numbers.  There are less registered voters in Eastern Washington than in King County.   Take out Spokane and Walla Walla counties, and every single man, woman, child in Eastern Washington could vote regardless of legal status, and they would not have as many voters as King and Snohomish counties.   Add to the fact that the entire I-5 Canada to Olympia, plus Kitsap, plus every island is one big voting block, and your theory has no foundation.

It's simple demographics based on the simple fact that the population of Eastern Washington is small in comparison to that of the Puget Trough.   Add that to the fact that say in the case of overturning the 1996 initiatives that the support of Spokane, Benton, Walla Walla, Kittitas, Yakima, and Chelan would be uncertain.  Numerically, who cares if it would garner 100% of the vote in Wahkiakum, Garfield, Ferry and Columbia Counties.  Those votes would be totally offset by a building or two in Seattle.

Correct. That’s why we need to split the state up. Draw a line at about Thorp.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt

Correct. That’s why we need to split the state up. Draw a line at about Thorp.

Then the complaints about the liberal sheeple in Ellensburg, Spokane, Yakima, and Wenatchee would become deafening.   After that backfired you'd want a new state centered on Othello as the largest population center.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:26:37 AM by Knocker of rocks »

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
I was thinking Coulee City.

Online CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
Here's my thoughts:

The wdfw will never allow baiting. They are trying their hardest to ban all baiting for all animals because they feel it is unethical. It’s a real shame to because if they did allow baiting for bears by permit they could control exactly where baiting takes place and baiting is something that all hunters can participate in as most hunters will never own hounds.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]