collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Three-Deer Raffle Strategy  (Read 7207 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Three-Deer Raffle Strategy
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 07:04:15 AM »
Have Karl find you a big buck , then wait four months in till you find him with a broken main beam !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
Have Karl find you a big buck , then wait four months in till you find him with a broken main beam !
  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: that was so sad!  He was all broke up!  G2 and g4 on the other side too
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
Honestly I'd probably go out and shoot the first legal deer I saw starting in september. I'm not clear on if you get to keep your regular tag as well so if I do I might start getting picky with that one come mid September when my three raffle tags are filled. Three deer in the freezer excites me more than three on the wall, but if a big one happens to cross my path and I have an unotched tag I won't be disappointed. Or if one of you guys wants to do the legwork in pointing out a big one to me just so I don't "waste" the tag lol. I wouldn't ask for help with a pack out though  :chuckle:

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »
Honestly I'd probably go out and shoot the first legal deer I saw starting in september. I'm not clear on if you get to keep your regular tag as well so if I do I might start getting picky with that one come mid September when my three raffle tags are filled. Three deer in the freezer excites me more than three on the wall, but if a big one happens to cross my path and I have an unotched tag I won't be disappointed. Or if one of you guys wants to do the legwork in pointing out a big one to me just so I don't "waste" the tag lol. I wouldn't ask for help with a pack out though  :chuckle:
they are additional tags. You would still be able to harvest a deer on your general tag.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline mossback636

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
Dreaming is cheap! Haha I’d take a 140 in black tail over a 200 in Muley any day! Although all 3 species are great in their own ways!  I’d hunt black tail the first week of November and would be torn on what to do next! Probably go after a muley and hope to find a decent whitey after that!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »

Is this a shooter blacktail worthy of notching a raffle tag?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »
they are additional tags. You would still be able to harvest a deer on your general tag.

Perfect then my plan is set. Now to wait for the results.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »

Is this a shooter blacktail worthy of notching a raffle tag?
i would consider pulling the trigger on him  :chuckle:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
Everyone talks about hunting mule deer late but it could also be good to hunt the first week of September in the high country. Scout all summer and find a buck you want, and kill him the first day of September.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: that was so sad!  He was all broke up!  G2 and g4 on the other side too
That’s what you get for not taking the first day for the mule deer!

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Everyone talks about hunting mule deer late but it could also be good to hunt the first week of September in the high country. Scout all summer and find a buck you want, and kill him the first day of September.
why waste a raffle tag on a buck sept 1 in the high country when you could use a general tag on September 15 on the high hunt.  :twocents:

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »
I also love the talk of the 200” mule deer like there around every tree. Some people hunt for a decade in some premier states and never even see a buck of that caliber. Your doing pretty good for yourself if you can find a 180-190 buck in this state. The average joe doesn’t have the cash to pay the finder fees that a whale can.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2018, 07:19:04 PM »
why waste a raffle tag on a buck sept 1 in the high country when you could use a general tag on September 15 on the high hunt.  :twocents:

True but I think you have a better chance the first week of September of catching them out in the open, still in their summer routine. It would just be something to try for a guy who's in shape for that kind of hunt. Me, I'd be hunting them late.  :chuckle:

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »

True but I think you have a better chance the first week of September of catching them out in the open, still in their summer routine. It would just be something to try for a guy who's in shape for that kind of hunt. Me, I'd be hunting them late.  :chuckle:
they run the same pattern on the 15th as they do on the 1st. Last two weeks of December hunting mule deer is a blast!

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
With these three opportunities my goal would be to kill a good mature example of each species. Because I live in an area I could find a good black tail I’d start looking for him as soon as I received the news I was drawn, with the goal of taking a good blacktail as soon as possible after Sept 1. My next (and highest) priority would be Mule deer, I’d spend as much time as I could hunting and learning any new areas that I wanted to be ready for the last week of October thru Mid November. I already have a general deer tag, so that could be used during regular season if a good buck was found, or a whitetail that may be encountered during this time. My goal for the Muledeer with the special tag would be 180+ ( harder than it sounds) lastly it would be time to get after a whitetail, hopefully at this point there would be good rut timing to find a good one. All the other field time and contacts made would be likely to help with this one. It’d be tough to do these opportunities well, that’s a lot of time

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]