collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody ever build one of these?  (Read 9122 times)

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anybody ever build one of these?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »
its funny every field in Wisconson has atleast one of these.Same thing in Germany. rarely see em here

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
If hunting with a rifle, ensure you put sound absorbing material on the wall and roof. Your ears will thank you after you shoot.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
I’ve seen some pretty reasonable priced tower blinds on amazon and often thought about getting a couple.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
Insulation for sound reduction, both mine and my gun's is a great idea. 
I played with the Amazon idea.  After reviewing all the blinds and towers, the price was going to be somewhere between $800 and $1500 at a minimum - even for the poorly made leaking/snow collapsing models. 

I think I'll be able to get this thing done for under $500 and it will fit my needs, but I'm still getting hung up on little issues such as which side to put the door on, or whether to use a trap door opening in the bottom.  There's no right answer in a lot of cases, it seems to be what makes most sense at the time.  I'm sure that will all change once it is done and been used a few times.  Then it will alll be crystal clear how I should have built it.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
If hunting with a rifle, ensure you put sound absorbing material on the wall and roof. Your ears will thank you after you shoot.

FYI: the end of the barrel should be outside of the blind before you fire it. That's where the noise is...........just sayin'.. :chuckle: :dunno: :tup: :sry:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
A buddy of mine had a huge conduit bender that we used.  I put a slight bend in the tops of the conduit to vertically match the 2X6 bottoms for the stand platform.    I built the bases on the ground twice as big as the stand itself.  I drilled through the conduit to bolt them into both corners of the stand, all 4.  I don't think I have any close up pictures but you can see one of them from space!  A built a metal conduit ladder to get up into the stand.  I also built 10' ladder stands out of conduit for smaller, more portable stands.  All the stands built out of conduit are still standing and usable.  The wood based stands lasted maybe 10-12 years, the conduit stands are still going strong.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
Pinterest has lots of ideas and plans for elevated blonds
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »

FYI: the end of the barrel should be outside of the blind before you fire it. That's where the noise is...........just sayin'.. :chuckle: :dunno: :tup: :sry:

One time on a muzzleloader hunt, I took an unplanned shot through the far corner which led to the gun being entirely within the ground blind when fired.  I'm not sure which of us hit the deck faster, me or the deer  :yike:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »

Ok. I looked online for elevated blonds and found some interesting material. Hang on, be right back.....IT is calling.

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »

Ok. I looked online for elevated blonds and found some interesting material. Hang on, be right back.....IT is calling.
ha ha Good one!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
A buddy of mine had a huge conduit bender that we used.  I put a slight bend in the tops of the conduit to vertically match the 2X6 bottoms for the stand platform.    I built the bases on the ground twice as big as the stand itself.  I drilled through the conduit to bolt them into both corners of the stand, all 4.  I don't think I have any close up pictures but you can see one of them from space!  A built a metal conduit ladder to get up into the stand.  I also built 10' ladder stands out of conduit for smaller, more portable stands.  All the stands built out of conduit are still standing and usable.  The wood based stands lasted maybe 10-12 years, the conduit stands are still going strong.

That conduit base sounds like a great setup.  I decided to keep it simple and just go with pressure treated 4X4 since I don't know how to weld and don't have access to a pipe bender.  If a leg starts to deteriorate down the road, I will just replace it, probably about the time that stand of trees closes up and I can no longer see.  I'm using these Amazon compound angle brackets intended for uses like elevated stands.  Switching out legs shouldn't be a huge problem.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MFF5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
Spin, I just seen your post and had to laugh.  I'm from WI and have built or helped build probably 25 of these.  A couple cousins of mine up in the north have cots and wood stoves in them.  That's a bit extreme.  I swear a few of these you could live in for a while.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 08:42:09 AM »
Spin, I just seen your post and had to laugh.  I'm from WI and have built or helped build probably 25 of these.  A couple cousins of mine up in the north have cots and wood stoves in them.  That's a bit extreme.  I swear a few of these you could live in for a while.

I've got relatives in North Dakota with setups like that. Heated, cots and an exterior deck. They play cards while someone takes a turn looking for deer lol. Last I talked they told me they had satellite tv but I'm choosing to believe that was a joke. At least I hope it was.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »

I've got relatives in North Dakota with setups like that. Heated, cots and an exterior deck. They play cards while someone takes a turn looking for deer lol. Last I talked they told me they had satellite tv but I'm choosing to believe that was a joke. At least I hope it was.
satellite TV and the NFL package are not uncommon in deer blinds around the country.  During elk season, I know a few camps that bring their dishes and big screens, hook up to the generator and watch all the football games.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]