collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody ever build one of these?  (Read 9121 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Anybody ever build one of these?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
If hunting with a rifle, ensure you put sound absorbing material on the wall and roof. Your ears will thank you after you shoot.

FYI: the end of the barrel should be outside of the blind before you fire it. That's where the noise is...........just sayin'.. :chuckle: :dunno: :tup: :sry:

:hunt2:

LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
Spin, I just seen your post and had to laugh.  I'm from WI and have built or helped build probably 25 of these.  A couple cousins of mine up in the north have cots and wood stoves in them.  That's a bit extreme.  I swear a few of these you could live in for a while.

I've got relatives in North Dakota with setups like that. Heated, cots and an exterior deck. They play cards while someone takes a turn looking for deer lol. Last I talked they told me they had satellite tv but I'm choosing to believe that was a joke. At least I hope it was.
satellite TV and the NFL package are not uncommon in deer blinds around the country.  During elk season, I know a few camps that bring their dishes and big screens, hook up to the generator and watch all the football games.

Ugh, I'm choosing to believe that's a joke too.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
Spin, I just seen your post and had to laugh.  I'm from WI and have built or helped build probably 25 of these.  A couple cousins of mine up in the north have cots and wood stoves in them.  That's a bit extreme.  I swear a few of these you could live in for a while.

I've got relatives in North Dakota with setups like that. Heated, cots and an exterior deck. They play cards while someone takes a turn looking for deer lol. Last I talked they told me they had satellite tv but I'm choosing to believe that was a joke. At least I hope it was.
satellite TV and the NFL package are not uncommon in deer blinds around the country.  During elk season, I know a few camps that bring their dishes and big screens, hook up to the generator and watch all the football games.

Ugh, I'm choosing to believe that's a joke too.

Definitely not a joke.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »
Well, I got started, then suddenly stopped dead while I wait for plexiglass before I place the shooting rails.....

Oops!  Well, if you lie on your side, you'll get the idea.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
First thing I notice from the pic is floor support ?

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
How are you going to hoist that thing up onto the supports?  The last one I built, I built it horizontal on the ground then verticalized the whole mess with a big rope and truck.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »
First thing I notice from the pic is floor support ?

That base is framed 2 x 4 with "joists" underneath the sheathing. 

The plan for erecting the thing is to build the blind out and paint it first.  I'm using lag screws to join walls at base and to other walls.  Then I will deconstruct it down to four walls and a roof.

After that, I will mount the base onto the compound angle elevator brackets that the legs insert into.  I'm hoping that I can upright the base by hand and use of a notched board to push on the platform until it tips up onto all fours - I will test that at home.  If I can't do that by myself, then I either need to take my tractor out to the field to do it the easy way, or put the wife to work on site.  Once upright, the ladder is attached, the walls taken up one at a time and re-attached, then the roof and doors to finish.  Sounds good in theory.  :o

Anyone have suggestions for a roof.  A lot of people use corrugated metal 'cause it's quick, easy, light, etc.  Personally, I hate the sound of rain on metal objects near me when I'm hunting (think tin cans/garbage).  I'm leaning towards corrugated acrylic/plastic or plywood covered by the roofing material that comes on a roll, or shingles, which I already have in the garage (but that may be way too heavy).
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
they really aren't that difficult to raise into place.  The more vertical you get, the easier it is.  While it is on the ground, you can cantilever a counterweight off the frame to assist.  Most of the time I did it, just had a few guys and started walking it up. On one used a long 2x4 and pushed it up.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
Line the inside with outdoor carpet.  It really helps keep noise down.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
One item I have put in my drift boat is 1/4 inch think rubber horse mat to quiet the floor. I bet it would be better than carpet and you could sweep it out easily. 
275 down 2

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.    I've already got it taken apart and ready to take out to the field after a last few modifications.

I may try that cantilever idea JimmyHoffa.  How much weight (and how far out) do you recommend to just get the legs and the platform up?  Probably only a hundred and fifty pounds max.  I couldn't do it by myself - I had to get the wife to help ( >:( >:( Sucks getting old!)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 07:14:16 AM »
Looks great! Had to zoom in though the fir tree paint job made it hard to find. What did you end up doing on the floor?

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »
I found a 6 X 8 indoor/outdoor carpet at Home Depot for 18 bucks.  Folded in half, it should provide double thickness insulation and dry quicker than other materials (assuming the place isn't watertight).   

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
A few weeks ago, I dragged all those sections of the blind out in the cut and the next day assembled it (with the help of a couple well-muscled young men).  It wasn't the perfect spot, but it was level, easy to get to and work, and it has an unobstructed view out to that (unfortunate) house at 325 yards (firearm restricted area.  No worries -the owner of that house helped me drag out the last deer I shot there, and recently messaged me about a forkie that's been eating his apples).

It stands out like a sore thumb now, but to the deer, it will quickly look as normal as the rest of the trees.  I give it five or so years until the trees are so large that it will have limited view and need to be moved to a new spot.  Sadly, my trailcam has not revealed any great bucks since May, and a lot of the does are missing too.  I'm wondering if there's some poaching going on, which would obviously make this whole endeavor an exercise in futility.  Only time will tell:  Here's the pics of the blind in place, the views, and what I believe is just a yearling forkie ('cause he hangs out with this small doe at all times).  He's (probably) going to get a pass from me this year - (no promises  :chuckle:)

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
Time  to set up a feeder looks great

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter