collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I need a camping BEAST....for cheap  (Read 5714 times)

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: I need a camping BEAST....for cheap
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »
 :twocents: Toyota Tacoma. They might be pricey, but they go everywhere and almost no issues.
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »
Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner. Even with 100k+ miles you'll still get plenty of life from it.

I'm leaning towards a 4runner as I'm able to find them online used for around my budget. Plus I love the skid plates coming with it. That said I can find more Xterra options right now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:24:53 AM by Cab »

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
I have a 4runner for the same reasons
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Blade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
4x4 Suburban, Sleep in it, haul gear, staying dry, pull about anything.  Mine should write a book, many adventures of all kinds in there... :)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
Having hunted and camped from nearly all the major options, I say pick your most often used features and go from there. If I was looking for a straight hunting/camping/scouting rig I would get a first gen Taco extended cab. I prefer manual but take your pick. They pop up with low mileage and in good shape for well under your budget. Canopy and rack and your set. Pre kids I had one, I hunted mostly solo, and it was great. My favorite rig I have hunted out of to date. Plenty of cab room for gear that needed locked, and room to move in the back, ability to sleep without major gear shuffle,Not terrible on fuel and very capable off road.

After kids I got a second gen Taco 4 door. It worked OK. I had the offroad manual model, so the bed was short. I only fit diagonally in it. So most gear needed to be pulled out to sleep/camp. Reverse was tall, and it did a bit worse on mileage overall. But it hauled more passengers comfortably and was great for partner hunts with a base camp tent. I have also used enough full size rigs to know I prefer a more compact vehicle for the majority of my needs. Some FS roads get tight when getting to trail heads, and in general mileage or overall cost doesn't pencil out for me. I do dig the room, capability to tow etc...  and if willing to pony up the shino for diesel it can be comparable or even better mileage. So if thats a factor for you its something to consider. I recently purchased a 3rd gen four runner because of the manual trans option, to double as hunting rig and family truckster, and used it on a week long trip in Idaho camping in it for 2 separate nights with dog. It worked very well. I am hopeful that it will be the answer for now. 

Another option to consider is a roof top tent, on any rig you decide on. I have been looking into them pretty seriously since it would eliminate the need to shuffle stuff if bedding down for just a night. And also sleep more people.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »
4runner with any engine except a 3.0.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 05:49:14 AM »
I will be selling the wifes 04 4runner limited.  151k with a V8. Only problem its loaded, with leather, super clean and been garaged since day 1. It will be under your budget.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Update: I ended up with a 2005 4runner V8 with only 71k miles on it. was lucky to find it in my budget. Took it out with Pianoman and it's a complete monster in the woods. It's perfect
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:42:19 AM by Cab »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
CAB did a good job getting this one. It's a nice ride.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
Update: I ended up with a 2005 4runner V8 with only 71k miles on it. was lucky to find it in my budget. Took it out with Pianoman and it's a complete monster in the woods and for doing 5 hours of driving I only used a 1/4 of a tank. it's perfect

Nice find! I bought the wife a Highlander a few years ago and have never had any issues. Toyota’s are pretty bulletproof. We take ours on some of the roughest roads multiple weeks outta the year and have always been impressed.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
Nice find! I too am in the market for a 4Runner. I’d like it to be limited and have the 3rd row seating. I’ve found a few but nothing that gets me excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
Nice find! I too am in the market for a 4Runner. I’d like it to be limited and have the 3rd row seating. I’ve found a few but nothing that gets me excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're out there but you have to act fast! This 4runner was online for 4 days total and 2 of them they're weren't any photos. I went in fri at 6pm wanted it but wanted to have the wife test drive it first before the paperwork(they were only open for 2 more hours so I thought it would be fine). Was scheduled to drive it around 10am saturday but our sales guy text me 10 mins after they opened at 8:30 and said they were people already calling about it and were going to stop in and buy it. We rushed over, and were literarily 5 mins before the next person that was coming in to buy it. Best of luck to ya,hope you find a nice rig!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
Why not Jeep Cherokees? you can normally find those pretty reasonable.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
Why not Jeep Cherokees? you can normally find those pretty reasonable.

Good option for sure. For me if I could I wanted a 4runner just because they keep their value a bit better and this 4runner had some options I really liked. Before this 4runner I was driving a 2015 Jeep Renegade and was impressed by how capable it was.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal