collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sore feet question  (Read 2781 times)

Offline eyesinfront

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Sore feet question
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »
I wasn’t really sure where to post this but my sore feet are negatively effecting my elk hunting prospects soI thought this would be alright. Ill try to keep this short but get everything covered. I got a pair of Lowa Comaino last spring and I am developing some foot pain. I had from spring until hunting season to get them broken in and honestly they felt really good right out of the box.  The problem I’m having is the more I wear them the more my feet hurt.  Lets say I go out one day with a weighted pack and I walk 5 miles my feet feel fine. Even if I do that twice a week they are alright but much more that 2 or 3 days in a row and I feel like ive been walking on boulders barefoot all day.  If I keep pushing I start to get blisters forming in the tops of my toes (usually the middle 3). Flat or steep ground doesn’t seem to make a difference either.  Before I was running Danner high grounds and I could get many more miles out of them before I developed soreness and I NEVER got a blister.  I’ve tried lacing them differently and expensive insoles but that doesn’t seems to help.  Now I’m looking for new boots for this season but I’m a little gun shy because these boots felt great until I spent a lot of time in them and now I don’t know what to do.  I don’t want to spend another several hundred dollars on boots that I can only walk the dog with. 
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Sore feet question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Felt good right out of the box?  Maybe they stretched and opened up a little too much?

What part of your feet hurt besides the blisters. I am no pediatrist but sounds like you have a fit issue.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »
Running them with Plenty of length ? If just a 1/2" gap you will be jamming toes going downhill.  My guess is you will have to try a different brand or heavier sox with silk/poly liner sox. 

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
I would look at new insoles.  I run SOLE signature series in all my hunting boots, and they are the best I have found.

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Not all boots work for everyone. I bought a pair of Lowa Renagade GTX Hiking boots from REI. I was thrilled with them initially, but started having foot pain. I kept hoping they’d get better, but they didn’t. I ended up returning them and buying Meindle lightweight hikers from Cabelas. I’m glad I did, and lucky REI has such a good return policy. I still think they were really nice boots, just not for me

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Go get your feet measured. You're feet may be too wide for them.  With wide feet also comes a tall portion of the front of your foot.  That's bad if your boots are too narrow.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
Go get your feet measured. You're feet may be too wide for them.  With wide feet also comes a tall portion of the front of your foot.  That's bad if your boots are too narrow.

That was my problem ,with age my feet have got bigger. I wore a 9/12 most my life.
Now at 68 I buy all my boots in 12 wide.

Other wise I have 5he same problem as OP in a 1/8 of the mileage he is putting on.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline eyesinfront

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was strange that they were so comfy to start. I think my biggest concern now is spending that much money again on a pair of boots and having a similar issue.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I went to a pediatrist about a year and a half ago after dealing with some foot soreness. Without even looking at my feet just hearing me describe what was happening and watching me walk down the hall he figured out what was wrong. It was a quick simple fix (some different insoles with little foam wedges in them) and with no other changes my discomfort went away completely. Trying a couple simple things yourself is great but I was in and out for 70 bucks visit and insoles and now pain free. Wish I hadn't waited so long to do it.

Online time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Look at a heavier soles boot especially if carrying a pack. Those boots are a great day hiker boot but not made for heavier loads and rougher country. If the lowa fits good bump up to the Tibet’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
I went to a pediatrist about a year and a half ago after dealing with some foot soreness. Without even looking at my feet just hearing me describe what was happening and watching me walk down the hall he figured out what was wrong. It was a quick simple fix (some different insoles with little foam wedges in them) and with no other changes my discomfort went away completely. Trying a couple simple things yourself is great but I was in and out for 70 bucks visit and insoles and now pain free. Wish I hadn't waited so long to do it.

:yeah:

As you age your arches collapse and your feet get wider and do all kinds of weird things.
You can chase boot brands all do long and never find the right boot if your insoles do not fit your feet.
A podiatrist can set you up with a set of orthotics that fit your feet. You won't get that with store bought insoles. I have two sets, one for my boots and one for shoes. Once you have a fitted set of insoles, you can really feel the difference between boot brands and how they size their boots.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was strange that they were so comfy to start. I think my biggest concern now is spending that much money again on a pair of boots and having a similar issue.

Buy crispi boots and don’t look back. Your feet will thank you. My  :twocents:

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
:yeah:
Rather than drop more money on different brands, a podiatrist is well worth the visit.   

Offline elkfins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »

Good advice here.  I had a similiar experience.  Feet, ankles and lower back were killing me at the end of the day so I went to a podiatrist.  He recommended different shoes and ended up making custom insoles for me and i'm now pain free at the end of the day.

Offline wapiti22

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
+++ 1 for Crispi

I own 3 pair and love them!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias