collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New disc extreme stock does not fit  (Read 3262 times)

Offline BigVinn

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Hunter
New disc extreme stock does not fit
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
So I got a Disc barrel 50 cal at a good price but it needs a stock.  I checked to make sure the disc and disc extreme were the same stock by putting the disc barrel onto my disc extreme stock.  The fit was perfect so I ordered a real tree extra straight stock from knight.  When I got it I put it on and tightened the lug and in doing so the barrel lifts out of the stock and then the ram rod wont't stay put.  I put my disc extreme barrel on and it does the same thing.  I contacted knight and they sent me a new stock.  i just tried it and it does the same darn thing.  What am I missing.  My other stock is a max 1 and this is a real tree.  Do they make different stocks? 

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: New disc extreme stock does not fit
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »
So I got a Disc barrel 50 cal at a good price but it needs a stock.  I checked to make sure the disc and disc extreme were the same stock by putting the disc barrel onto my disc extreme stock.  The fit was perfect so I ordered a real tree extra straight stock from knight.  When I got it I put it on and tightened the lug and in doing so the barrel lifts out of the stock and then the ram rod wont't stay put.  I put my disc extreme barrel on and it does the same thing.  I contacted knight and they sent me a new stock.  i just tried it and it does the same darn thing.  What am I missing.  My other stock is a max 1 and this is a real tree.  Do they make different stocks?

I hate to say this, but I have new DISC stock and it does the same thing.  I am wondering if they got a bum order from Bell and Carlson??? I went to put mine on a an older Super DISC - noticed the problem you suggested and I did not have time to work on the inletting to get it to fit - one day I will do that...

I would suggest calling them again.... see if you can get connected with Justin @ Knight...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline BigVinn

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
Thank you for the reply. What do you think of Boyd’s stocks. Have you used one for a disc?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
Thank you for the reply. What do you think of Boyd’s stocks. Have you used one for a disc?

No I have not used a Boyd's at all... I really have switched away from wood completely.  1. to reduce weight and bulkiness - 2. Composite stocks are normally lighter, especially thumbhole stocks, they are slimmer and to me more durable in the rotten weather that I hunt in.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 07:30:59 PM »
BigVinn

Check your PM messages...

mike

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
I think we have the problem figured out! I had a new Knight stock that did not seem to want to accept a barreled action.  But after checking everything out I found that I just need to press the breech area into the stock with my hand - start the installation the recoil lug screw - then tap the recoil pad on the counter to insure the action was all the way to the rear - tighten the screw and everything is happy in 'Happy Valley'

My old Super DISC has found a new home.

Offline BigVinn

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »
Yes thanks to Sabotloader. A little sanding also made it drop right in.

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Mine was a Big Horn and it had terrible fit.  I bedded it and all my fit issues went away and maintained ram rod fitment.   I improved my accuracy and lost nothing.   Use JB weld....cost peanuts and works as well as anything. 

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
I had a similar problem.  Knight sent me a replacement barrel for my Disk Extreme and it wouldn't fit into the original Stock or a Mountaineer poly thumbhole stock I had been using. So they sent a second barrel; same issue.  I sent both back with the original stock to show them the problem of the ramrod falling out, and the barrel popping up.  Justin sent one of the barrels back in a new mountaineer wood stock (and he threw in 209 ignition to be cool about it.  It's gorgeous) and it fits great.  I tried to mount the new barrel again into my old mountaineer stock (out of curiosity) and it doesn't fit. Same problem.  Something changed with their barrels or stocks or both.  So I now have a little horn in my old mountaineer thumbhole stock and it fits perfect.  :dunno: 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
I had a similar problem.  Knight sent me a replacement barrel for my Disk Extreme and it wouldn't fit into the original Stock or a Mountaineer poly thumbhole stock I had been using. So they sent a second barrel; same issue.  I sent both back with the original stock to show them the problem of the ramrod falling out, and the barrel popping up.  Justin sent one of the barrels back in a new mountaineer wood stock (and he threw in 209 ignition to be cool about it.  It's gorgeous) and it fits great.  I tried to mount the new barrel again into my old mountaineer stock (out of curiosity) and it doesn't fit. Same problem.  Something changed with their barrels or stocks or both.  So I now have a little horn in my old mountaineer thumbhole stock and it fits perfect.  :dunno:

I do not know this for a fact but I really believe the change occured in the stock.  And the problem exists just after the reciever where the barrel goes into the barrel channel.  The stock is just to narrow at that point and needs to be sanded out.  I also believe the Knight knows about the possible problem and I beleive it will be taken care with the next run of stocks if that has not occurred already...

The one that I have I really took very little material off then pushed the barrel down and in at that point - right now ist really seems like a perfect fit.  BUT, I have not shot it yet to see if it maintains it's accuracy.

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 04:13:09 AM »
Like I said, Justin sent me the new disc extreme barrel in the wood mountaineer stock and it seems to fit fine.  So for fun I tried to put that barrel in my composite mountaineer stock where the little horn barrel now resides with a perfect fit.  Same problem.  I've tried to make sure it's seated but it still pops out of the barrel channel and the ramrod falls out.  While it's very pretty in it's laminated wood thumbhole stock I know I'll never hunt with it because it's too heavy and I bought an ultralight while waiting a year to get the disc extreme back. I'm thinking about selling it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]