collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking seriously at Eberlestock pack/ picking which one advice?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
Re: Looking seriously at Eberlestock pack/ picking which one advice?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 06:29:07 AM »
I bought a used Team Elk a couple years ago and really like it.
It's been with me for a couple hundred miles and is very comfortable.
My kid wants one, so I may be in the market for a new or used one again.
Later,
Rob.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
Some of my hunting friends have the Blue Widow, X1, J34, and Team Elk.   Having tried them all on for awhile, I prefer the Team Elk. 

My issue with the scabbard between the back bag and my back is it never felt comfortable to me, as I prefer the pack as close to my body as possible especially with heavy loads.  And I definitely couldn't reliably pull my rifle out of that scabbard without taking the pack off.  I prefer using a gun bearer mounted on the pack waistebelt for my rifle.   Eberlestock packs are nice and quiet compared to other packs due to that material, unfortunately it does tend to hold water more than other material and can make them heavy.  Overall they're decent packs.   

If you don't plan to haul out meat with it, the Gunrunner is a much lighter and lower cost option than the other models.  3lbs lighter than the Team Elk.   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »
I thought they were great until i went up to the next level. Any pack with cinch straps will carry a bow or rifle. I’ve never tried a team elk pack on. Lots of folks have good things to say about them. They’re heavy and they don’t have functional load lifters so a heavy load of meat is gonna suck. I found that I used the scabbard on mine more for a spotting scope and tripod than anything else. The scabbard is off center and the weight of a rifle in there really screws up the load from a balanced/centered standpoint.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
I thought they were great until i went up to the next level. Any pack with cinch straps will carry a bow or rifle. I’ve never tried a team elk pack on. Lots of folks have good things to say about them. They’re heavy and they don’t have functional load lifters so a heavy load of meat is gonna suck. I found that I used the scabbard on mine more for a spotting scope and tripod than anything else. The scabbard is off center and the weight of a rifle in there really screws up the load from a balanced/centered standpoint.
When you say next level, which are you referring to?

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the input, I may have more to consider now than before, but that's why I ask. I'd rather beat the question up and be happy with the purchase in the end

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »
When you say next level, which are you referring to?

Im assuming he is saying

Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Mystery Ranch, maybe even Seek Outside or Kuiu... probably in close to that order.

I have no experience with Eberlestock but I did have a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab with Nice Frame... No functional load lifter (like an eberlestock) and it was a super durable pack but HEAVY and without load lifters it was taxing packing out heavy loads.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
I went with a Kuiu. I’ll upgrade that soon. Hasn’t broke on me yet LOL. It’s 10x more comfortable than any eberlestock pack I’ve owned.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Ive had the battleship or something like that. Whatever the big beast is.   It does a pretty good job of fitting my back, which most packs dont real well.  (6'5", longer back than legs).   No complaints other than it seems heavy to start with.  Its hauled some serious loads in some serious country.  Its held up better than my knees. :)

Offline Westside88

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 05:27:47 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your input, the more I look at these the more I can see there’s never one perfect option. Going back to what my original plans intent is, I’m leaning towards the gunrunner. Lighter, carries a rifle and a more minimalist profile. I’m going to try and find one to see about carrying a bow on it. If I could add a bow cradle, and maybe the attachable saddle bags, I think it would fit my needs. Of course if I go this route I’ll also want to look for a larger daypack at some point which will lead me back to exploring some of the other options that have been shared. Thanks everyone

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 06:17:24 AM »
I think some people aren’t reading what you will be using the pack for. I’m sure he knows that kifaru, exo, stone glaciar are all better for most stuff, but an eberlestock will work good for your needs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]