collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality Cougar Permit  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Quality Cougar Permit
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
With the cougar attack fresh on people's minds, an initiative getting rid of that ban could go thru.

Where does the money come from to sponsor that Initiative?
Bruce Vandervort

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
States want state rights from Federal jurisdiction, can county get county rights from under state jurisdiction, because I think there were only two counties that voted out hounds if you know what I mean

that has to be voted on as well, i believe Oregon just tried that very thing or is attempting to try to have and opt in or out on hound hunting for lions per county
-Matt

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »
Another good question is why don't they sell permits for baiting bears in Washington. Make it residents only and make it like $50 a pop with rules like bait sites have to be x amount of yards apart and limit of 2 or 3 sites. That would bring extra money into their budget and bring down a LOT of bears I bet!

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »
Another good question is why don't they sell permits for baiting bears in Washington. Make it residents only and make it like $50 a pop with rules like bait sites have to be x amount of yards apart and limit of 2 or 3 sites. That would bring extra money into their budget and bring down a LOT of bears I bet!
:yeah:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
:yeah:

Here's the problem:

The ban was voted in by public initiative, the only way to reverse that is for another voter initative or legislative action to reverse it. WDFW cannot allow bait hunting by public hunters. There was language in the legislation that allows timber companies to bait bear to decrease timber damage. Unfortunately WDFW has no authority to authorize a season that allows bear baiting or hound hunting.

I think the best chance of any change is through the legislature, and I don't think now is the time that will happen even as much as I wish it could.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
I hate to say never but I’d be absolutely amazed if in my lifetime hound hunting or baiting ever returned to Washington. If fish and game actually wanted to reduce cougar populations they’d remove all quotas and could even go a step further of opening the season to all year.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
I hate to say never but I’d be absolutely amazed if in my lifetime hound hunting or baiting ever returned to Washington. If fish and game actually wanted to reduce cougar populations they’d remove all quotas and could even go a step further of opening the season to all year.
They tried, and much to the delight of HSUS the governor vetoed the plan.

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2015/10/washington-gov-nixes-cougar-killing-plan.html
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »

Bingo!, I agree that we probably will never see baiting or hounds brought back and as far as expanding quotas and going with year round seasons to make a dent in these deer killers the WDFW has too many special interest groups to take care of, taking care of our game herds is down the priority list...with all due respect meatwack, please don't refer to them as "fish and game", they are far from it, as far as representing our Fish and Game :tup:... :twocents:

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
I like how that article states “let’s be clear nobody eats cougar”. I must be an alien because I’ve eaten it and thought it was pretty good. It’s never good when you put wildlife management out for public vote especially in a state with such a large population of anti hunters.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:04 PM »

Bingo!, I agree that we probably will never see baiting or hounds brought back and as far as expanding quotas and going with year round seasons to make a dent in these deer killers the WDFW has too many special interest groups to take care of, taking care of our game herds is down the priority list...with all due respect meatwack, please don't refer to them as "fish and game", they are far from it, as far as representing our Fish and Game :tup:... :twocents:
Washington "Department of Game" became the "Department of Wildlife" in 1987, and in 1994 became the "Department of Fish and Wildlife."  The state hasn't had a "Game Department" for more than 30 years.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »

Washington "Department of Game" became the "Department of Wildlife" in 1987, and in 1994 became the "Department of Fish and Wildlife."  The state hasn't had a "Game Department" for more than 30 years.

Exactly :tup: I had a lot of friends back in the day that actually worked for the Game Dept, some are still around but are retired, some have passed on, they had and have a whole different thought process regarding deer, elk and game, times have changed, the state has changed the mindset has changed. I don't even want to think what this state and our WDFW will have in store for our young hunters and fishermen in the future,  heck who knows what it will be like for my grandkids in just the next 20 years.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »
Make a quality hunt without hounds but open all year? or ask em for another pilot for public safety.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 10:38:30 PM »
They tried, and much to the delight of HSUS the governor vetoed the plan.

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2015/10/washington-gov-nixes-cougar-killing-plan.html

:yeah: That's specifically why now is not a good time to try legislatively, he obviously wouldn't sign a bill for more predator hunting. When he becomes president then we can try!  :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 10:52:09 PM »
I like how that article states “let’s be clear nobody eats cougar”. I must be an alien because I’ve eaten it and thought it was pretty good. It’s never good when you put wildlife management out for public vote especially in a state with such a large population of anti hunters.

I think it might help our cause if some hunting groups petitioned the Commission to make the wastage laws apply to cougar.
What do you think? I might start a poll.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »

I think it might help our cause if some hunting groups petitioned the Commission to make the wastage laws apply to cougar.
What do you think? I might start a poll.

In theory it sounds good, in reality maybe not so much, but who knows? Nothing else is working!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]