collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Raccoon - Legally taking one in city limits?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Raccoon - Legally taking one in city limits?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »

distemper, rabies, parvo. Likely have to look sick.

Add roundworm to that list.  https://ugaresearch.uga.edu/deadly-raccoon-roundworm-can-infect-humans-without-symptoms/

As a tenant, you shouldn't have a problem with trapping them legally.  Your likely issue would be the neighbors.
Leptospirosis, humans can catch it also.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Bow and arrow man. Just make sure no one is around to see it happen and make sure to hit vitals. I lived down in Sumner next to the Puyallup river in an apartment complex.. someone let loose their pet rabbits and they bred with the native rabbits... The offspring got HUGE! I have dogs and we used to walk them in the evenings out by the river without an issue until they found the rabbits. So 2 birds 1 stone... I got some big rabbits in my freezer and it kept them away so I didn't have to worry about my dogs chasing them anymore. 1 arrow with a blunt tip and thump them in the head or chest.. its a done deal man. Same for raccoons I would assume.

Offline jlahoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
I trapped one at my old house.  Got a tarp, put it over the cage and made sure all sides were weighted down.  Then got one of the co2 gas bomb things that you use to put down in mole holes to kill them.  Lit the fuse and set it under the tarp.  Coon went nighty night.  Nice and quiet.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Raccoon - Legally taking one in city limits?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Bow and arrow man. Just make sure no one is around to see it happen and make sure to hit vitals. I lived down in Sumner next to the Puyallup river in an apartment complex.. someone let loose their pet rabbits and they bred with the native rabbits... The offspring got HUGE! I have dogs and we used to walk them in the evenings out by the river without an issue until they found the rabbits. So 2 birds 1 stone... I got some big rabbits in my freezer and it kept them away so I didn't have to worry about my dogs chasing them anymore. 1 arrow with a blunt tip and thump them in the head or chest.. its a done deal man. Same for raccoons I would assume.

Domestic rabbits won’t breed with wild rabbits. It’s not biologically possible.
You’re all welcome for your useless trivia for the evening.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
someone let loose their pet rabbits and they bred with the native rabbits... The offspring got HUGE!

Only two natives in all of Washington.  Everything you see in Western Washington is introduced
https://wdfw.wa.gov/living/rabbits.html

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Raccoon - Legally taking one in city limits?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »
someone let loose their pet rabbits and they bred with the native rabbits... The offspring got HUGE!

Only two natives in all of Washington.  Everything you see in Western Washington is introduced

Correct. I should have said cottontail rather than wild rabbit. My daughter is going to smack me. A domestic/European rabbit will not/can not breed with a cottontail and produce live offspring. Native or non-native, there are cottontails in western Washington. Pretty much all feral/domestic rabbits are either European rabbits or hares.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »

OK, now I am confused.   I thought every single fuzzy animal with two big ears in Western Washington was an introduced species.

Correct. I should have said cottontail rather than wild rabbit. My daughter is going to smack me. A domestic/European rabbit will not/can not breed with a cottontail and produce live offspring. Native or non-native, there are cottontails in western Washington. Pretty much all feral/domestic rabbits are either European rabbits or hares.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »

ok well then... these were giant floppy eared bunnys that tasted amazing and there was a TON of them!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
When I have problems with raccoons I take care of them with my bow & I don’t care about in season or not. I can’t have wild diseased raccoons getting after my dog or the neighbors day care so I kill them all. I live ina house though, it’s a bit easier than n an apartment

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
trap him, fill up bathtub with water, drop trap in, close door, comeback in a 1/2 hour

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal