collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: North Cascades Weryhauser permit  (Read 5852 times)

Offline FishBoy82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
North Cascades Weryhauser permit
« on: June 16, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »
This will be my first time with this permit and bow hunting bear.

Is there a lot of bear in these areas?
Anyone else with the permit and want to work together?
Bow Hunting SUCKS

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: North Cascades Weryhauser permit
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
North Cascades has bears.🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline FishBoy82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »
Not sure if that was meant as a question or a statement, but I'm new to the area and just looking for advice/help with a bear hunt on these properties.

Thanks,
Josh

North Cascades has bears.🤔
Bow Hunting SUCKS

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »

I have had the permit for 4 years now.  I purchased my 5th year.  I have yet to pull a bear out in August.  My buddy was able to get one two years ago.  They are out there, but will require some work to get one.  If you could hunt over bait it would be guaranteed.  It's just thick and their are some better areas than what we have available to us through Weyerhaeuser.
If your going to chase them, look in the 2-4 year old clear cuts and glass the berries.  A few spots that look to be prime this season off of HWY 9.

I think they are hard to come by south of 20 as the Indians are using bait right now and they thin them out good.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
The fact that they did not send out an email blast to let people know it was open sucks. Was not able to get one this year due to them being sold out so fast. Yes if you put in the time as already stated you can find them. Best of luck to you!
IAFF #3728

Offline FishBoy82

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
Hey thanks for the info. I plan on being out there multiple times a week, have several trail cams ready, and ready to park the truck and put some miles down.

I have had the permit for 4 years now.  I purchased my 5th year.  I have yet to pull a bear out in August.  My buddy was able to get one two years ago.  They are out there, but will require some work to get one.  If you could hunt over bait it would be guaranteed.  It's just thick and their are some better areas than what we have available to us through Weyerhaeuser.
If your going to chase them, look in the 2-4 year old clear cuts and glass the berries.  A few spots that look to be prime this season off of HWY 9.

I think they are hard to come by south of 20 as the Indians are using bait right now and they thin them out good.
Bow Hunting SUCKS

Offline hunt4life

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
I agree it’s very thick I have had the permit 5 years I decided to pass on it this year due to lack of deer up in them parts past 2 years! Lots of bear poop never saw a bear! There up there along with all the other guys Looking for them!!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

That's why the timber companies are reporting some of the worst damage they've seen, possibly ever? South of 20! Or maybe you have a better line of communication on bears and management than me.....  :dunno:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »

That's why the timber companies are reporting some of the worst damage they've seen, possibly ever? South of 20! Or maybe you have a better line of communication on bears and management than me.....  :dunno:
I'm sure you have the better line of communication.  Not seeing the same amount of damage they are mentioning.  Since it is a learned trait, you may have a few culprits causing a majority of damage.  They need to target those specific bears.  Sierra said the same thing.  Saw lots of old damage.  Along with new damage, I guess it all adds up year after year as you can see the brown trees.
Cut em!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »

I'm sure you have the better line of communication.  Not seeing the same amount of damage they are mentioning.  Since it is a learned trait, you may have a few culprits causing a majority of damage. They need to target those specific bears.  Sierra said the same thing.  Saw lots of old damage.  Along with new damage, I guess it all adds up year after year as you can see the brown trees.
Many of those specific bears have been eliminated this year (not by tribal).

Offline Salmonstalker

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »

Many of those specific bears have been eliminated this year (not by tribal).
[/quote]

If not tribal, then who?

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
I had the permit last year for the first time. I never saw a bear and I saw very little sign. I mostly hunted up around Lake Cavenaugh, Brook Creek Rd and Jackman Creek. I probably went out at least 30 to 40 days since I live off of Hwy 530. I shot some grouse and saw a few deer but that was it. I saw one buck in August and none during October. I was extremely disappointed to say the least.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
I had the permit last year for the first time. I never saw a bear and I saw very little sign. I mostly hunted up around Lake Cavenaugh, Brook Creek Rd and Jackman Creek. I probably went out at least 30 to 40 days since I live off of Hwy 530. I shot some grouse and saw a few deer but that was it. I saw one buck in August and none during October. I was extremely disappointed to say the least.

Two years back a lot of spike deer came out of the Cavanaugh area.  It definitely hurt the hunting for that area last season.
Cut em!

Offline Molon5labe

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
I have the current permit and purchased again for this upcoming season. I'm out there all the time tooling around with my dogs in the offseason and obviously out there during bear and deer season as well. As others have said, Ive found a heck of a lot of bear poo as well, and fresh peels, however still have yet to find a bear on the weyco lands.

Offline J.Brower

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
I bought it last year, and again for the year, I saw a handful of bears last year, passed on all of them, either too small or out of range. They are there, just have to stumble upon them at the right time!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]