collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outlawing electrical mountain bikes in Washington?  (Read 21895 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Outlawing electrical mountain bikes in Washington?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
I ride one. Say what you want about it "not being fair to the guys that walk in and put in the miles on foot" but I've put my fair share in on foot. I recently had a bone fusion in my foot which now limits my mobility and I can only put in a small percentage of miles that I used to. I also do not qualify for a disabled permit. I saved up my pennies, bucked up some cash and now ride behind locked gates- which I rode before on a regular mountain bike. If I want to spend the money on that (and it's legal) I think that's more than fair. I still get up way before daylight, put in my time and I go up to areas that guys/gals either don't want to walk to or see no reason to go to. I pass numerous clear cuts that a lot of people hunt because it's lower in elevation, easier to get to from the road and they don't go any further than that. I choose going a lot farther back, as a way to get away from the crowd. My  :twocents:
I don't care how much cash you put into something,four wheeler,side by side,electric bike,just because you spend x amount of cash does not make it legal to ride behind locked gates.In my eyes it's disrespectful to the property owner to not follow the rules they put to give you access to hunt.And hurts future access to all hunters in the future. :twocents:

I do own four wheeler, And motorcycle I haven't used them for hunting in years .
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »
I ride one. Say what you want about it "not being fair to the guys that walk in and put in the miles on foot" but I've put my fair share in on foot. I recently had a bone fusion in my foot which now limits my mobility and I can only put in a small percentage of miles that I used to. I also do not qualify for a disabled permit. I saved up my pennies, bucked up some cash and now ride behind locked gates- which I rode before on a regular mountain bike. If I want to spend the money on that (and it's legal) I think that's more than fair. I still get up way before daylight, put in my time and I go up to areas that guys/gals either don't want to walk to or see no reason to go to. I pass numerous clear cuts that a lot of people hunt because it's lower in elevation, easier to get to from the road and they don't go any further than that. I choose going a lot farther back, as a way to get away from the crowd. My  :twocents:
I don't care how much cash you put into something,four wheeler,side by side,electric bike,just because you spend x amount of cash does not make it legal to ride behind locked gates.In my eyes it's disrespectful to the property owner to not follow the rules they put to give you access to hunt.And hurts future access to all hunters in the future. :twocents:

I do own four wheeler, And motorcycle I haven't used them for hunting in years .

:yeah:
I'm actually surprised at some of the responses to the contrary.

Follow the rules; if you don't like it, figure something else out that is within the rules for the area you are accessing.

There's almost always some way to get a motorbike or a quad into gated non-motorized road areas; doesn't make it right because some don't get caught.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
Sure glad I don't hunt the wetside!!!  Jesus, the me me me world is running rampant..
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
lol- so how much walking is a "fair share" to be able to ride a motorized bike illegally? 

Offline aer212

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 06:10:10 AM »
How is that any different than guys that have and can afford horses?

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »
How is that any different than guys that have and can afford horses?

Not sure what kinda horses you been around. But the biggest difference and obvious one is horses don’t have a motors. Kinda why they are allowed in the wilderness areas as well. Unlike bicycles. That goes for regular bicycles or electric ones.

Offline Salmonstalker

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
lol- so how much walking is a "fair share" to be able to ride a motorized bike illegally? 

I own a quad as well and I don't get to ride it much either. It is LEGAL to ride an electric bike where I go. If it wasn't, I would ride a mountain bike in. Exactly how is it disrespectful and how does that hurt the future access of all hunters? Up until recently, I rode a mountain bike into those areas- the difference is I now can use "pedal assist" for going up hills. I'm not walking in if I don't have to just because others think it's unfair. LOL

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »

I own a quad as well and I don't get to ride it much either. It is LEGAL to ride an electric bike where I go. If it wasn't, I would ride a mountain bike in. Exactly how is it disrespectful and how does that hurt the future access of all hunters? Up until recently, I rode a mountain bike into those areas- the difference is I now can use "pedal assist" for going up hills. I'm not walking in if I don't have to just because others think it's unfair. LOL
I think the confusion is from the earlier post about fairness.  If it is legal for all, then it is fair since the walkers and non-motorized riders have that option too even if they don't take it.  Just kind of sounded like you were talking about rogue riding.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
Thinking about investing in an electric mountain bike. Having surgery on my left ankle and I'm not going to be able to walk as far as I used to ever again and need something to compensate a little bit what do you guys think is the likelihood of them outlawing electric mountain bikes behind gated roads in western Washington walk-in only areas in the years to come? ( my injury will not pass the permanent disability wdfw)
As far as actual statewide law goes it won't happen.

It is up to each individual land management agency/timber company to decide what vehicles/devices they allow on their roads. For agencies that'll be in their regulations, for companies it'll simply be their company policies/rules.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
In all fairness, IMO, if a fellow hunter has a legit medical issue (and doesn’t qualify for a disabled permit) an electric bike is a good compromise. Just think, we all could very easily be in that situation in a blink of an eye. Electric bikes have battery life restrictions, they’re not loud or cause major erosion like an ATV/UTV or truck and the risk of them causing a fire are slim to none. If a hunter could prove (medical documentation) to a timber company that they have a legit issue and the timber company agrees, I don’t see what the big deal would be?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
If a hunter could prove (medical documentation) to a timber company that they have a legit issue and the timber company agrees, I don’t see what the big deal would be?
Timber companies can make whatever decisions they wish regarding access; it's their land. I don't believe anyone disagrees with that.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
Perhaps rather than invest in that electric assist bike for $2K-$5K or whatever model you're considering, put that money towards many years worth of annual timber company motorized passes?   

As others have already mentioned, many of the timber companies consider an electric assist bike as a motorized vehicle.  So it depends on which land you're planning on hunting.   

Offline sidehil

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »
Its motorized if its gas or electric period. you get caught you should get a ticket :sry:

Offline sidehil

• Tracker
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
I modern fire deer on a mountain bike, but electric is motorized so no loaded rifle either.....

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
I modern fire deer on a mountain bike, but electric is motorized so no loaded rifle either.....

I never thought about that, but I suppose you could carry a loaded gun on a bike in a scabbard.  :dunno:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]