collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outlawing electrical mountain bikes in Washington?  (Read 21795 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Outlawing electrical mountain bikes in Washington?
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
Gotta love how hunters will scream and yell about the anti's attacks, then turn and try and eat their own if it is something they don't understand or agree with, yet legal...

:bash:

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have a problem where it's legal. It's just that most every management agency and major landowner has rules against it- and many are still trying to justify electric motors as fine. Where they're legal, (and I know of nowhere that's not open to other motor vehicles) go motor away.

:yeah:

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Gotta love how hunters will scream and yell about the anti's attacks, then turn and try and eat their own if it is something they don't understand or agree with, yet legal...

I don't think anyone is arguing against them where they are legal.

The argument is about using them where they are illegal, and some guys saying mind your own business.   If I walk in because it's the legal way, and someone electric bikes in illegally, I'm not OK with that.

No arguement about that, if legal = good to go, not legal should get reported.  Because it does reflect badly on all hunters, and things like that get trotted out as examples which are used to reduce or eliminate opporutunity or access. 

And yes, the largest portion of comments have been directed to that.  But a statement was made that using an electric bike was due to laziness unless disabled.

I just don't see how that is in any way supportive of another hunter's legal chosen method of pursuit.  It seems like there cannot be a subject talking about different methods that doesn't end up with "Your way isn't my way, so you are DOING IT WRONG!" or "That is just being lazy and not real hunting, because REAL hunting is hiking miles and miles and miles, up hill both ways..."

It gets tiresome, why is it so hard to not degrade another hunter's legal choice of method or pursuit?  You don't have to agree just because, but it would be nice to not see the eventual negative posts like in my examples. 

Sorry if my initial post seemed out of hat, just cannot understand why it is necessary to make statements that belittle a fellow hunter's legal choice of method or style. 
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
In almost every post I mentioned taking the electric bike into NONMOTERIZED areas....clearly talking about the non legal use of the bikes...

You read what you wanted to

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
The reality is a certain group of people saw an easy route and jumped at it.....invested the money because they saw a way around the hard work involved In reaching these nonmoterized areas.... and now the laws are catching up with the technology and sure enough your gona have to go back to busting your tail...as it should be...stop trying to justifying your laziness...your only cheating yourself

Oooh, a mind reader. That's awesome. I wish I could determine someone's motivations just by reading their internet posts.  :tup:

There motives behind why they want to take a motorized bike into a nonmoterized area would polly dictate if the hunting community or more importantly the general voting public supports them....

I dont see any motives besides laziness....and I cant get behind that...I'm sorry  :dunno:

If they're disable then I'd hate to find out what happens when that heavey man made motorized bike  fails on them and they can't get out on there own power...pretty sure the courts already ruled on that one

Hey I'm usually almost perfect half the time I read minds....

Am I missing something tho ? I'm not talking about anybody in particular on this thread but just a broad view of most everyone who jumped at the idea of electric bikes for hunting in non motorized areas....what else could there motives be ??

If I mis-read these particular comments, I appologize. 

But it dosen't take away from the fact that it happens way more than it should in hot topics like this...
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline CBP1888

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »
I was going to by an electric bike for the same reason a lot of people do to get down the gated  road quicker,  ditch the bike, and hike in. I spoke with two game wardens who said they would not write a ticket. They told me the forest service and BLM were a different story. I’ve yet to meet anyone who has been cited for riding an electric bike in a gated area.. The only time these electric bikes are of benefit are for  up hill.

In the end I purchased a carbon mountain bike that probably weighs 22lbs. I can ride a long distance and is not to bad pushing up hills. I can also pick it up and drag off the path easily and chain to a tree. A 60+lb bike would be a pain in the butt to take off the main road and hide. The thought of leaving a $3,000 electric bike unattended also makes me nervous.

Now let’s talk about the more important issues:

Should I lose sleep if I don’t Clip the barb on my hook when the natives, commercial trollers, and seals are fishing the same area as me ?

Why is a single shot pistol (TC Contender) not allowed in a firearm restricted area?

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
 Il rephrase it more clearly..

If you choose to break the law by riding your motor bike into a NONmoterized area, then yes I think your lazy...your only kidding your self if you think otherwise

Usually people break the law because of the extra effort it takes to be legal

Side note...

People need to beware what they wish for with accessibility of lands....atm these bikes are pretty spendy which eliminates alot ot people that can afford them which inturn still provides you with the remote experience, but these bikes will come down in price and be much more accessible to all the people your trying to get away from in the first place...keep things hard in these NONmotorized areas...make people work for it...theres plenty of other places to go if they want to use a motor and I have no problem with that what so ever...I enjoy a few of those places myself

Good luck this fall

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »
So sounds to me people are being called lazy, just because they didnt walk 200 miles and wear out three pairs of boots.  Holy smokes,  I guess I'm lazy!

Shot 60 yards off the road!  And I would do it over and over and over again if given the chance..

Please show me one time I called you lazy for driving a truck in a legal area....you even had a busted ankle if I remember correctly...sounds like an awesome hunt...I've had more then a few just like it

My bad! I jumped the gun on that one!!!

I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2018, 08:57:18 PM »
So sounds to me people are being called lazy, just because they didnt walk 200 miles and wear out three pairs of boots.  Holy smokes,  I guess I'm lazy!

Shot 60 yards off the road!  And I would do it over and over and over again if given the chance..

Please show me one time I called you lazy for driving a truck in a legal area....you even had a busted ankle if I remember correctly...sounds like an awesome hunt...I've had more then a few just like it

My bad! I jumped the gun on that one!!!

No worries, I deleted my post as well  :tup:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
As sad as it is access is becoming a huge problem in the hunting community.  Not saying illegal is ok, but I think a lot of people are choosing technology to get an advantage.  When I think of a motor I think of a loud, gas burning motor.  But, like always we should know the laws.. 

I'd rather have a guy cruise past on a electric bike than a damn atv after I hiked many a mile.   

I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:19 AM »

The argument is about using them where they are illegal, and some guys saying mind your own business.   If I walk in because it's the legal way, and someone electric bikes in illegally, I'm not OK with that.

No arguement about that, if legal = good to go, not legal should get reported.  Because it does reflect badly on all hunters, and things like that get trotted out as examples which are used to reduce or eliminate opporutunity or access. 

And yes, the largest portion of comments have been directed to that.  But a statement was made that using an electric bike was due to laziness unless disabled.

I just don't see how that is in any way supportive of another hunter's legal chosen method of pursuit.  It seems like there cannot be a subject talking about different methods that doesn't end up with "Your way isn't my way, so you are DOING IT WRONG!" or "That is just being lazy and not real hunting, because REAL hunting is hiking miles and miles and miles, up hill both ways..."

It gets tiresome, why is it so hard to not degrade another hunter's legal choice of method or pursuit?  You don't have to agree just because, but it would be nice to not see the eventual negative posts like in my examples. 

Sorry if my initial post seemed out of hat, just cannot understand why it is necessary to make statements that belittle a fellow hunter's legal choice of method or style.

Agreed.

Heck I use bait for Steelhead where legal.  Some guys think that's no good.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »

Agreed.

Heck I use bait for Steelhead where legal.  Some guys think that's no good.

How dare you!   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »
I remember when ATV's were a new invention. Every hunter despised them. Now they are everywhere legal or not and a lot more hunters own them.  These guys that have the new buggies are a real pain now driving fifty miles an hour on and off the dirt roads and trails. There are dirt bikes everywhere. You guys are upset about E-bikes? I just bought one to get around with. It is pedal assisting which means you have to still pedal. Its 750 watts and can't go over 20 MPH so the state considers it a bicycle and not a motorized vehicle. I missed seven years of hunting over various health issues and last year was my first year back. Had to switch from archery to modern which is not my first choice but you do what ever you have to do. I view the E-bikes as a lot less damaging then a horse and they are a lot cheaper. Yes they will allow more people back into areas that most have to hire an outfitter for if allowed and I guess those that make a living selling horse rides will lobby against them. The bikes are clean, quiet and don't contaminate the environment like horses.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
I remember when ATV's were a new invention. Every hunter despised them. Now they are everywhere legal or not and a lot more hunters own them.  These guys that have the new buggies are a real pain now driving fifty miles an hour on and off the dirt roads and trails. There are dirt bikes everywhere. You guys are upset about E-bikes? I just bought one to get around with. It is pedal assisting which means you have to still pedal. Its 750 watts and can't go over 20 MPH so the state considers it a bicycle and not a motorized vehicle. I missed seven years of hunting over various health issues and last year was my first year back. Had to switch from archery to modern which is not my first choice but you do what ever you have to do. I view the E-bikes as a lot less damaging then a horse and they are a lot cheaper. Yes they will allow more people back into areas that most have to hire an outfitter for if allowed and I guess those that make a living selling horse rides will lobby against them. The bikes are clean, quiet and don't contaminate the environment like horses.
Did you just say a bike with an electric motor and I would assume a battery cell of some sort leaves less of an impact on the environment than a horse? You do know that horses used to, and in some areas still do, roam North America as wild animals right?

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2018, 06:45:14 AM »
Did you just say a bike with an electric motor and I would assume a battery cell of some sort leaves less of an impact on the environment than a horse? You do know that horses used to, and in some areas still do, roam North America as wild animals right?

Yes I am aware that they roam wild in areas where they are rounded up and removed to stave off damage to fragile ecosystems.

Offline Tenderfoot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
I talked with Hancock rep and they don't allow them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]