collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel Trailer batteries  (Read 5149 times)

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Travel Trailer batteries
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »
If it was me I’d try and install 4 t125 or maybe t105 (same size as t125 but less amp hrs and cheaper)if you have space if not then I’d try for 2 t145s

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
If it was me I’d try and install 4 t125 or maybe t105 (same size as t125 but less amp hrs and cheaper)if you have space if not then I’d try for 2 t145s
Don't have the space for 4 batteries. Going to try and fit the 145's
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
 :tup:

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
@RockChuck do you know the difference in the 125 vs 125 plus , and the 145 vs 145 plus ? I looked on Trojans site and the specs are the same between the same series (125-125 plus same as the 145's) ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:19:35 PM by huntandjeep »

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
I don’t recall there being a “plus”vs a “standard” sorry, if there is it’s new to me

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »
i just bought two 6V for my trailer at Yakima costco. Had them on my last trailer to with no issues at all. The last awhile before needing a charge. I think $93 a piece.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »
i just bought two 6V for my trailer at Yakima costco. Had them on my last trailer to with no issues at all. The last awhile before needing a charge. I think $93 a piece.
I will check them out thanks.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
@ Kirkl I'm assuming they are  Interstate brand batteries ( what model # did you get )?  You wouldn't happen to know the rough dimensions of the battery ? Are they larger than a 12v battery , if so what did you use for a battery box ? Thanks Allen

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
Im not sure what brand they are now, they are the only 6v batteries I think they have, golf cart batteries. They are not as wide as 12V but they are taller, i bought new 6v battery boxes for them at selah trailer sales. Two of them fit where normal batteries go which normally fit two 12 volts.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 06:42:43 AM »
Yup, 2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired together in mine, long life! Look it up on you tube, easy to do.

depends on what you need here..... ampacity is what you are looking for. When batteries were good, would they last over night? crank a gen set onboard next morning in worst case scenario? (winter dry camping with heat on blasting all night?) if so, then maybe 6V are not necessary and can get spendy. Had to add a 3rd deep cycle to my rv just for this application.. my guess is your charging system failed you over the 3 year period. setup a trickle charger that you can plug in when not in use as well... maintain the batteries and they will last longer... most campers come with a self charger to keep batteries up, if you have, i would say you have issue with this... easy tested...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
Yup, 2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired together in mine, long life! Look it up on you tube, easy to do.

depends on what you need here..... ampacity is what you are looking for. When batteries were good, would they last over night? crank a gen set onboard next morning in worst case scenario? (winter dry camping with heat on blasting all night?) if so, then maybe 6V are not necessary and can get spendy. Had to add a 3rd deep cycle to my rv just for this application.. my guess is your charging system failed you over the 3 year period. setup a trickle charger that you can plug in when not in use as well... maintain the batteries and they will last longer... most campers come with a self charger to keep batteries up, if you have, i would say you have issue with this... easy tested...

:yeah:
Yes! proper maintenance and charging are so important! its fast and easy but way to often overlooked. Distilled water is cheap and deep cycle batteries go through a lot more then a car battery.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »
There is no free lunch in the flooded cell battery game.

Two 200ah 6V in series is 200ah at 12v.  Lots of decent 12v deep cycles that are rated at 200+ ah that fit in the same footprint, at probably half the cost and 2/3 the weight.   What you're getting when you switch to 6V is a very thick lead plate set and the ability to withstand repeated deep discharges - as long as you maintain them and your charger is up to snuff.  Most pickup truck alternators are not up to the task of recharging a deeply drawn set of 6V through the 30+' of puny harness wiring. If going the 6V route, I suggest a GOOD smart charger and a genset that can power it at full amperage while supplying other needs at the campsite. 
Let any deep cell go dry during charging (meaning exposing the top of the plates, and they will if not maintained properly) and you are shortening the life of the batts.

I have 8ea 6v Trojan T-125'on my boat for almost 1000ah of 12v juice. Running the average 12v load while fishing, I'm pulling 60-80 amps continuously.  My 105ah alternator can barely keep up, as they lose efficiency when hot.  I go through alternators like most people go though vanillaroma air fresheners.  I have a three-stage smart charger to carry the load when I'm running my 20kw genset while I'm freezer fishing.

The point is, I work this battery set hard for 10 months a year (equivalent of ~120k miles driving per year) and maintain water levels religiously.  They have been on the boat for 5 years now and show few signs of degrading performance.

Buy good batt's in an amp-hour range to meet your needs, buy a good smart charger, buy a genset that will handle the total load of the charger and all other needs in camp.  If going 6v makes sense, then go for it. But if you are looking to 6v to fix a lack of maintenance or insufficient charging system issue, you'll just be spending more money faster.
 :twocents:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
There is no free lunch in the flooded cell battery game.

Two 200ah 6V in series is 200ah at 12v.  Lots of decent 12v deep cycles that are rated at 200+ ah that fit in the same footprint, at probably half the cost and 2/3 the weight.   What you're getting when you switch to 6V is a very thick lead plate set and the ability to withstand repeated deep discharges - as long as you maintain them and your charger is up to snuff.  Most pickup truck alternators are not up to the task of recharging a deeply drawn set of 6V through the 30+' of puny harness wiring. If going the 6V route, I suggest a GOOD smart charger and a genset that can power it at full amperage while supplying other needs at the campsite. 
Let any deep cell go dry during charging (meaning exposing the top of the plates, and they will if not maintained properly) and you are shortening the life of the batts.

I have 8ea 6v Trojan T-125'on my boat for almost 1000ah of 12v juice. Running the average 12v load while fishing, I'm pulling 60-80 amps continuously.  My 105ah alternator can barely keep up, as they lose efficiency when hot.  I go through alternators like most people go though vanillaroma air fresheners.  I have a three-stage smart charger to carry the load when I'm running my 20kw genset while I'm freezer fishing.

The point is, I work this battery set hard for 10 months a year (equivalent of ~120k miles driving per year) and maintain water levels religiously.  They have been on the boat for 5 years now and show few signs of degrading performance.

Buy good batt's in an amp-hour range to meet your needs, buy a good smart charger, buy a genset that will handle the total load of the charger and all other needs in camp.  If going 6v makes sense, then go for it. But if you are looking to 6v to fix a lack of maintenance or insufficient charging system issue, you'll just be spending more money faster.
 :twocents:

:yeah:

RV chargers aren't up to the task to efficiently and sufficiently charge batteries, they are a cheap trickle charger at best.
Adding a smart charger, one that regulates charge, auto stops, etc. is worth every penny, and they aren't expensive.

I run a NOCO in my Rv and love it.  Chargers MUCH faster when on generator, and won't overcharge.
I think I got it at LFS or West Marine, don't recall.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:27 AM »

I ran Trojan t-105 for years. There just getting too expensive now.  I came across a company called US battery.  There trying to steal Trojans market. I reserched them well. Ended up going with there battery this time. Had more output. More cranking amps.  pretty much more everything and at a cheaper price. Only had them a year so far. But really liking them

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 05:19:41 AM »

I ran Trojan t-105 for years. There just getting too expensive now.  I came across a company called US battery.  There trying to steal Trojans market. I reserched them well. Ended up going with there battery this time. Had more output. More cranking amps.  pretty much more everything and at a cheaper price. Only had them a year so far. But really liking them

Yeah they are quite spendy! US batteries are good as well, most of the Trojan dealers I have used also sell the US bateries, I’ve tried them a couple times with good luck. Seems they have a pretty generous warranty also

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]