collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Salmon Creek?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Salmon Creek?
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:19 PM »
Wondering what the quality of bulls are in Salmon Creek area next to Fossil Creek anyone been in Salmon Creek the last two or three years. (Pay to play area)

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Salmon Creek?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
Same as surrounding areas, raghorns for the taking. If you’re looking for book bulls pacific county is not where I’d be spending time.
Dilligaf

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
Wondering what the quality of bulls are in Salmon Creek area next to Fossil Creek anyone been in Salmon Creek the last two or three years. (Pay to play area)

Rayonier timber owns a huge chunk. There pay to play price for that chunk is flat out highway robbery.

Offline Webfoot

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
Wow! Those are some serious permit prices!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »
If that's the lease I'm thinking of, a friend of mine talked to some rifle hunters last year.  They had killed a rag horn or two that was the same as every other raghorn.  It sounded like nothing special.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
Wow! Those are some serious permit prices!

Yeah, and those aren't actually prices, it's just the starting bid. Bidding starts June 25th and ends June 28th.

Offline Webfoot

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »
Must be a bunch of 350" bulls in there!

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
Must be a bunch of 350" bulls in there!
[/quote

They are everywhere! lol

Offline NorseNW

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »
Ahhhh $1,600 for archery $3,600 for rifle are freaking kidding?  That is very impressive.  If I had that money to plunk down to hunt I certainly would not be hunting there.  I can get guided for that price. 

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
Has any one been in there in the last 3 or 4 yeats during the archery season? If yes what was the quality of the bulls?

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
Has any one been in there in the last 3 or 4 yeats during the archery season? If yes what was the quality of the bulls?

Every bull I seen was a rag horn. Is their bulls. Yes. Are you gonna shoot a 300” one out of there. 99.99% of the time no. But every place could possibly hold that one monster. Is it worth the price to pay for rayonier starting bid. Nope. You could take that money and go else where. That offers bigger bulls. Other places in Washington have bigger bulls you could hunt for with OTC tag for free.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
Thankyou...how long ago were u back there during theseason? Hiw did u do or the person u were with do?  How much did u end up paying for thw permit? Arch,muzz or MF season? Thanks again...

Every bull I seen was a rag horn. Is their bulls. Yes. Are you gonna shoot a 300” one out of there. 99.99% of the time no. But every place could possibly hold that one monster. Is it worth the price to pay for rayonier starting bid. Nope. You could take that money and go else where. That offers bigger bulls. Other places in Washington have bigger bulls you could hunt for with OTC tag for free.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
Thankyou...how long ago were u back there during theseason? Hiw did u do or the person u were with do?  How much did u end up paying for thw permit? Arch,muzz or MF season? Thanks again...

Went in the state land for late season. I don’t buy permits. Specially that one. For that price I could be packed in backcountry in Montana. Never been in early season. State land isn’t a huge chunk. So it gets hit pretty hard.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
Thanks for responding to me...if don't mind can you please answer a few more questions I understand if you don't want to.
How did u get to go back in the Salmon Creek area without buying the permit?
When you were in there did you hapen to notice or observe any elk display different behavior then the elk in the surrounding areas u referred to?
For example where they appearing to be less pressured then what one might think in the late season? I have noticed in the late season there is less elk to be seen without getting out the truck.
When you got out of the truck in the Salmon Creek area did you notice if the Bulls were easier to get closer to? 
Did you notice any psychological/behavioral difference between elk in the Salmon Creek VS the surrounding areas?
Did you see more bulls closer to the road?
You said the size was the same as the surrounding area. What do you think made it like the "surrounding areas" why isn't it better than the public land? Or say the Fossil Creek for example or any area that you don't have to pay to play?
 I'm glad I talk to you  I thought for sure it would be a little bette. Thanks again!
Same as surrounding areas, raghorns for the taking. If you’re looking for book bulls pacific county is not where I’d be spending time.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 01:14:43 AM »
Thanks for responding to me...if don't mind can you please answer a few more questions I understand if you don't want to.
How did u get to go back in the Salmon Creek area without buying the permit?
When you were in there did you hapen to notice or observe any elk display different behavior then the elk in the surrounding areas u referred to?
For example where they appearing to be less pressured then what one might think in the late season? I have noticed in the late season there is less elk to be seen without getting out the truck.
When you got out of the truck in the Salmon Creek area did you notice if the Bulls were easier to get closer to? 
Did you notice any psychological/behavioral difference between elk in the Salmon Creek VS the surrounding areas?
Did you see more bulls closer to the road?
You said the size was the same as the surrounding area. What do you think made it like the "surrounding areas" why isn't it better than the public land? Or say the Fossil Creek for example or any area that you don't have to pay to play?
 I'm glad I talk to you  I thought for sure it would be a little bette. Thanks again!

Their state land along salmon creek. Butts right up against that rayonier land. That area gets hit pretty hard. I was in there late archery season. The one cow I seen driving in.  Couldn’t get across the road fast enough. I figured she would of been slowed down once inside the timber hundred yards or so. Nope. I went in after her at daylight and she was long gone. Looks of her tracks she didn’t slow down tell crossing into the next county. Far as bulls activities go. I couldn’t answer that. Didn’t see any bulls. Last year it was antlerless only. This year they changed it to 3pt or better and antlerless. I would look into gmu farther north. Something that has more ground to offer. Like From gmu 601-618. That’s just my  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]