collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody use the Grizzlystik 650g arrow and broadhead setup?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Dwightinwashington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Dwigh Christmas
Has anybody here gone and tried the Grizzlystik 650 setup for elk. What did u think of it?  I'm thinking of getting the 650 grain arrow  test pack. Grizzlystik will refund the price of the test pack from a dozen arrows if u buy in thirty days. The Grizzlystik website is impressive. Alot of elk pics. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of Dr Ashbys work with 19 percent  FOC and single bevel broadheads 650 grains total weight? I called and talked to them and they say i wont notice a difference to thirty yards.  I've only shot one bull elk (5x5) in my life. Single lung shot at 32 yards, ran sixty or so  yards into other hunters to be shot again and tagged by them, same thing happened to a friend who shot a cow last year. Looked like a good shot.  Waited an hour after he shot to track the blood trail only to go two hundred yards to hunters who shot it again and tagged it. Cant handle the lows of losing an animal again. If i was rifle hunting i would go get a 338 mag or something to drop a bull in its tracks. Whats the equivalent in archery. I shoot a Diamond Deploy Sb 70 lb bow, 28.5 draw, Spot hogg fast eddie jr sight, crossover telescoping stabilizer with back bar, tightspot quiver, winners choice string.  I was shooting a Easton 5mm FMJ arrow with a 125 grain montec g-5 broadhead,11 percent FOC, total weight 496 grains. HELP PLEASE What arrow/broadhead combo would  u recommend I shoot this year for elk. Thank u for your time.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Anybody use the Grizzlystik 650g arrow and broadhead setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
I haven't shot them so no input there.  I do shoot FMJ arrows and 125 grain thunderheads.  They work, they hit where I am aiming and they kill stuff.  Are they going to knock an elk down like a 338? No.  Are they going to overcome another hunting shooting the elk after I hit it first No.  I don't think there is an arrow that will do either of those things.

Looking forward to other responses.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »
TAG very interesting, used to shoot heavy aluminium and 90lb limbs (or more), not sure I can do that now  :chuckle:

like we're coming full circle

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Mine are 550gn at 262 FPS. I’m all about heavy but there is a point where they just don’t want to fly well. My hunting parter is shooting the same arrow at 275 FPS and the lays the hammer down. We tend to say a heavy arrow tames the beast I was going to try them but last time I shot an elk at 50 yards with a FMJ I got a lung heart and a full pass through the opposite side shoulder joint. If I was shooting a 350 ATA I would sure give it a go . Keep us updated on how they perform.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »
Next time call a warden it’s illegal to take game harvested by another person. I know that’s off topic but my 2 cents. As far as weight based on draw length you are right in line with me. Anything in that 500 gr weight is plenty for pass thru. FOC has its merits but if the arrow flys well I wouldn’t worry to much if your over 10%.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:51:28 AM by northwesthunter84 »

Offline huntindoc

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
I confess to spending too much money to get a heavy arrow set up developed - and I love it.  It started a couple years ago when I went to Africa to hunt cape buffalo ( did not get a shot) and developed an arrow set up with 300 gr single blade broad head, total weight just under 1200 grains, 86 lb pull on bow.  Those telephone poles were spectacular on the penetration on targets, and I did shoot a white tail that was quartering to me at 42 yrds.  Entered front shoulder, exited off hip and I lost the arrow in the swamp.  Very effective.
Fast forward to last year, and I was going to hunt moose - trip washed out, but I developed a 715 gr arrow with heavy FOC, turned bow down to 74 lbs pull.  200 gr arrow.  Really fun to shoot, very smooth and I can shoot plates out too about 100 yrds with consistency.  Absolutely no wind drift, and they fly very straight.
I will shoot these or similar heavy arrows for everything from now on.  Bigger than I need, but I've no doubt on complete pass through, whether I hit a bone or not.  It is more arrow than I need, but why not?  The argument of excessive drop is legit, but I do not shoot without a range finder anyway, and my sight is well set and works well.  I guess the argument is the same as shooting a 243 for elk vs a 338.
Good luck!  I've had good success with the Grizzly stick products, and will buy shoot more.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »
Not to derail the thread, but as someone else said, you needed to claim those elk.  Especially yours that was only 60yrds away. 

That fact aside, a passthru is a passthru with an arrow.  While more weight will help an arrow and can increase the chances of passthru, it is not like a gun where bullet weight means more physical force and energy and shock transferred at impact.  Your bull only went 60yrds, you drilled him and drilled him good, even heartshot bulls can go that far if they get an adrenalin jolt when hit, they are dead bull running.  No arrow you can buy would change that outcome imho.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal