collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The one that got away...  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
The one that got away...
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
We all have or have heard the story of someone(or yourself) selling a gun and wishing they never did. Just thought this could be fun to hear about some interesting firearms and stories behind them.

Thankfully I don't have any yet but I do have one that my dad told me. He was buying a Dan Wesson Arms model 15VH 357 Magnum Pistol and I guess they're was just the pistol alone in a 4in barrel or a set with multiple interchangeable barrels at different lengths. He wishes to this day he bought the full set of barrels, they are really hard to find complete sets.

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: The one that got away...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
I’ve never sold a gun in my life, my dad told me you never sell a gun unless it’s to buy another gun. Well, he sold a Model 70 .222 to a guy to buy a custom .270 Weatherby, ran into the guy 20 years later and they guy asked if he’d like to buy it back. Sold it to him for the same price he bought it for; the guy had never fired it. One of my favorite guns.

Offline jeffitz

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »
Crazy - my Dad had a Dan Wesson .357 with the different barrels just like youre talkin about - think he traded for a Willys jeep years ago  :bash:
Actually we used that Willys for many years and it was cool but now its gone too- O well...
If you're gonna be dumb,you gotta be tough.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
My first deer gun was a 12 gauge bolt action with a 2 round magazine, made by Marlin but marked Spiegel as it was a catalog gun.  It would put a slug anywhere I put the bead, routinely shot the heads off ruffed grouse and snowshoe hares with slugs and never had a clue how exceptional that performance was.  Sold it to my ex-father in law to buy a rifle when I was moving to Wyoming and didn't think I'd ever hunt with slugs again.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
I've traded and sold a lot of stuff over the years. I have a couple that I sold off for good reasons at the time, but wouldn't mind getting back.

- Dan Wesson CCBT 10m. Loved this gun but it slam fired on me one time and put a 180gr XTP through my desk and computer in my home office. It went back to the factory to get checked out and it turns out the "extra power" firing pin spring was just light enough to set off a primer on the Factory Hornady ammo under the right circumstances. The gun came back with completely new internals, a full cosmetic touch up (I'd been carrying that gun daily for a coupe years and it showed) and a very sincere apology. I sold it for $700 less than a week after I got it back. I loved that gun but I could never trust it again.

- Taurus Tracker Ti 41 Mag. I fell in love with this gun as soon as they came out. What's not to love about a 5 shot 41 Mag that weighs 23oz? I had over 2000 rounds through that gun, most of them shooting 250gr bullets at 1225fps, before the lockup started to get a little sloppy. I sold it to a guy about 6 years ago who just wanted a gun to carry while hunting. He still hasn't put a single round through it, but he won't sell it back to me. If they still sold those I'd buy another new one in a heart beat; my old one earned a nice quiet retirement.

- CZ 550 416 Rigby. I got this one for $400 from a guy who needed money. Great rifle in an excellent caliber and I shot it a lot! I traded it straight across for 4" 500 S&W and I definitely came out ahead. I had to sell the 500 S&W after I messed up my right wrist and had to step down a couple notches in my handgun calibers.

- BFR 45-70. This is the gun that ruined my right hand/wrist. I had well over 3000 full power (300gr @ 1800fps and 440gr @ 1600fps) rounds through this gun and it ultimately took it's toll on my hand and wrist. I developed compression fractures from my hand up into my wrist and forearm and my fingers would start to go numb after shooting it. The doctor said I either had to cut back on the shooting or I'd end up needing surgery. For a full year, the largest handgun I could shoot was 38 specials out of a 6" S&W 686. Sold most of my handguns and I got into shooting the bolt action pistols instead. I had the opportunity to buy back the BFR but I know that I'd just go back to the same routine and do more damage to my hand and wrist.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »
I have never sold a firearm.  I've been told I have separation issues.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
Marlin 917 vs in 17 hmr.  Most accurate rifle I ever owned.  Once put 47 rounds in one hole group @100 yards.   Sold the gun to buy another gun. Wish I could get it back!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »
The CMP 1911 my dad bought in the 60’s still haunts me.
Ben’s Loans had a Dan Wesson 3-barrel set for something like $230.
I thought about it for about an hour too long.....
Kimber micro 1911 mint for $400.
SW 629-5 5” bought for $400 with original box. Mint.
Weatherby mkV ultralite with as fluted and splatter stock in 7mm-08 for 900. Like new.
I’ll think of some others.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:04 AM »
In 2002, I had just been divorced. A friend living in Thailand had set me up with a piano gig on a resort island (later destroyed by the tsunami). I sold my house, and all of my possessions, which included a S&W 6906 9mm, and Sears Model 97 pre-60s, a Mossberg pump model 500, a JC Higgins .22 - probably at least 60 or 70 years old, and a couple other cheap pieces. The only guns I kept were two Remingtons - a model 700 Classic .30-06 and a 12g model 1187. I met my present wife about a month before my scheduled departure and never left, obviously. The guns I really hate that i sold were the S&W, the 97, and the JC Higgins - all great firearms. Sometimes, I look at her while she's sleeping and with tears in my eyes, think "you owe me a bunch of guns, lady!" Touching story, I know.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:55:49 AM »
When I was 18,  I told my brother and his father in law that I was thinking about selling my Mossberg 500 and upgrading to a semi-auto.  My brothers FIL, a former marine and current gun enthusiast, gave me two pieces of cursed advice that day:  1) You never sell a gun, just save up and buy another.  2) You don't need a semi auto.  They don't shoot much faster and you just have more parts that'll break. 

To this day, I've never sold a gun and the only semi-auto shotgun I own is an inheritance (that'll never leave my house). 

I'm hoping some day to be cured of curse #1, because I've got 7-10 guns or so in my safe that really could find a new home.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Interesting stories..  I've got two regrets, sort of, about guns that got away.

1.  Officer’s Model Colt:  In the late 60's I was newly married, in grad school working two part time jobs with our first child on the way.  Stopped by a local sporting goods store that was closing out and obviously just wanted everything out of the premises ASAP.  They had a new in the box Officer's Model Colt .22 revolver for $66.  I knew that I was looking at the gun buy of a lifetime, and knew that we were so broke that the responsible adult thing to do was not buy it.  I was trying to learn to be a grown-up.  I did the right thing at the time though still wish that I had bought it anyway.

2.  03-A3 30-06:  My first scoped rifle was an 03-A3 that I partly sporterized and hunted with exclusively during the 20 years we lived in the interior of British Columbia.  It shot a PILE of game.  I bought a factory second semi-inletted Fajen stock from Herter's (that dates this tale) and gradually refined the shape of the stock over my first two years of use till it truly fit my face and bod.  I've never handled a firearm that fit me so well.  When it came to shoulder, the crosshairs were precisely where my eye was looking.
   It was also amazingly accurate, putting 165 Sierra's into one 5/8 inch hole all day.  It was heavy, a bit ugly.  I liked the Parkerized finish and the shark fin front sight so kept them.  I got a hankering for a new rifle so sold it and bought a Rem 700 in 30-06.  I've owned five 30-06 rifles since and never have found one as accurate nor that fit me as well.  I have tried to buy it back for 20 years.

But I caught a few good buys as well.  Was in the old Kesslerings and found an absolute steal of a buy on a custom Mauser in 6mm with a gorgeous palm swell swirly wood Roberts stock, heavy Douglas premium barrel, Dayton-Traister trigger... for a give away price.  Ron K was surprised at the price on it. He said that the owner who had consigned it a week or so earlier had just left, and was so anxious to sell that he had reduced the price.  Ron hadn't even seen how low he had marked it.  I didn't have much but recalling the Officer’s Model Colt, borrowed enough from a friend with me to cover the $175 on the spot.   

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
DISCLAIMER:  I fully expect to recieve a ton of flak for this.

In 1982, I pawned an M1 Carbine (got $90 for it) to pay off an engagment ring..... I know let the flaming begin.

Lee

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
model 47 Winchester with barrel factory threaded for suppressor
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »

In 1982, I pawned an M1 Carbine (got $90 for it) to pay off an engagment ring..... I know let the flaming begin.

Lee

Was she worth it?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »

Lee

Was she worth it?

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: oh boy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr