collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buck 550 Selector 2.0 Review  (Read 2966 times)

Offline HillSlick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Buck 550 Selector 2.0 Review
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
Recently I got hold of one of Buck’s Folding Hunters. Called the 550 Selector 2.0. I’m not typically an individual that uses folding knives for heavy duty tasks but I took this out and was quite impressed. I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures my phone had died while in the outing.

Specs:

Blade Material: 420HC
Blade length: 3.75”
Blade Thickness:   .12”
Handle Length: 3.5-4” roughly

To start with, many of the skepticisms I have about using a folding knife for heavy duty field work is that the pivot point where the knife folds is typically a weak point. When a folding knife gets used and abused, in my experience this area typically is the first to weaken. The joint becomes loose and the blade rattles and moves even when in the ”locked” position. This is something that I truly hate. It bothers the living daylights out of me. And though the Selector 2.0 is quite hearty for a folder I was still nervous.

However, I was quite happily proven wrong. I used this knife for everything from minor batoning to minor prying tasks and the blade is still just as snug as when I first obtained it. (That being said don’t start prying loose any nails with it)

When I first set out to review this knife I had been chasing Turkey, in order to test out all this knifes capabilities and blades. Such as the gut hook. However I was unable to get either beer or Turkey this spring I had to resort to strictly cooking and wood oriented tasks.

As mentioned above it held up well to minor batoning and prying. I also was able to use it to make feather sticks for tinder and get myself a nice little fire going for some coffee.   I also used it for some cooking. I can say confidently that this knife will cut veggies, a raw and a medium rare slab of beef with no issue lol.

I used the two cutting blades that I have for it, being the normal drop point and the serrated drop point. Both held an edge very well and are still sharp even after some solid use. I would’ve liked to have tested out the gutting blade that I have but as I said, I wasn’t able to get a turkey this year.

Pros:
- I  could actually use this to hunt, or even in a survival scenario I think this bad boy might just be up to the task.

- blades cut well, very well and they hold a decent edge.

- very good construction (fit and finish) after hard use nothing came loose

Cons:
- honestly kinda had trouble coming up with any but the handle is a bit short for me. Granted I have massive hands. So this will not likely be a problem for anyone of normal size.

- it’s a bit difficult to open single handed,

Things I would use this for:

Fishing, small to medium game hunting, whittling, or even EDC.

Things I would not use this for:

- I would try to avoid using any folder in a survival situation, but, if this was all I had, I might make it out knife intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
Re: Buck 550 Selector 2.0 Review
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »
Nice review!

I also do not use a folder for hunting. All my hunting knives are fix blade knives.But I keep a SOG Flash II in my pocket all the time.
I will never EDC a knife that does not have one handed assisted opening.
I am now spoiled.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
Nice review!

I also do not use a folder for hunting. All my hunting knives are fix blade knives.But I keep a SOG Flash II in my pocket all the time.
I will never EDC a knife that does not have one handed assisted opening.
I am now spoiled.

Thank you!

Lol I don’t blame you on either account, I have only ever used fixed blades for hunting and just one folder in the pack, but this one will get added now! And I hear ya on the assisted opening. Most of my favorites are assured, but I’ve had this one in my pocket a lot lately, I think I’m starting to like the firmness. Think it makes it feel more sturdy to me.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
My Ol' man has used a buck 110 for 40 years. That damned thing has been through hell and back so many times its ridiculous. Still holds a sharp edge. Not my of cup of tea, but its one hellva knife.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
My Ol' man has used a buck 110 for 40 years. That damned thing has been through hell and back so many times its ridiculous. Still holds a sharp edge. Not my of cup of tea, but its one hellva knife.

My pops has one too, given to him by his grandfather I believe. Things has skinned and gutted more deer then I’ve looked at.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »

My pops has one too, given to him by his grandfather I believe. Things has skinned and gutted more deer then I’ve looked at.

A knife with a story and personality are awesome family heirlooms. I bave a few Ill pass onto my kids. Ironically, the knives I use the most are almost disposable and hold 0 sentiment for me ( havalon & Esee Izula).
Sorry I kinda thread jacked the OP. Just made me remember all the times that heavy 110 has been there for great memories.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »

A knife with a story and personality are awesome family heirlooms. I bave a few Ill pass onto my kids. Ironically, the knives I use the most are almost disposable and hold 0 sentiment for me ( havalon & Esee Izula).
Sorry I kinda thread jacked the OP. Just made me remember all the times that heavy 110 has been there for great memories.

No apology necessary whatsoever, talking about knives and the stories behind them are one of my very favorite things.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
one reason I like a fixed blade for hunting is the folders are hard to clean up.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
one reason I like a fixed blade for hunting is the folders are hard to clean up.
Carl

Don’t blame you, and I agree. However this one is nice because you can take the blade out and clean both separately. Still more trouble than a fixed blade, but not nearly as bad as most folders.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
I had to skin a deer with a Leatherman Wave one year.
It got the job done, but It took a heck of a long time to get all the nasty silver skin out of all the crevices!
LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:01:30 AM »
It got the job done, but It took a heck of a long time to get all the nasty silver skin out of all the crevices!
LOL

Ugh man, that just sounds miserable lol

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
LOL

:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]