collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Norway Pass Muzzy Permit  (Read 18420 times)

Offline furbearer365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Norway Pass Muzzy Permit
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »
My honest opinion?!?! I would put your boots on and go in there early so you know what you're up against. Google is great and talking with guys that have hunted it is even better. But i truly think anyone with this tag should get in there, and see what everyone is talking about first before you start making rash plans. Everything looks doable on google earth and guts that had packers were ok with going deep like I did. But I think putting your eyes on it first, then translating that to Google earth will help you understand and give you a sensible plan as to how you will go about the hunt. Just my  :twocents:

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 06:26:36 AM »
 :yeah:  Wise words.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
My honest opinion?!?! I would put your boots on and go in there early so you know what you're up against. Google is great and talking with guys that have hunted it is even better. But i truly think anyone with this tag should get in there, and see what everyone is talking about first before you start making rash plans. Everything looks doable on google earth and guts that had packers were ok with going deep like I did. But I think putting your eyes on it first, then translating that to Google earth will help you understand and give you a sensible plan as to how you will go about the hunt. Just my  :twocents:

I think that's fair. Its not a big area but its big country. Except for the deadfalls it looks a lot like areas around Baker.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline LongBomb

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 03:02:41 PM »
A game cart for Norway Pass !
I literally spit up coffee laughing :)

Viable Options:

: Helicopter
: (3) Buddies & 2-Days
: Pack Mules ***Dependent on where you get it. But still a huge help for miles

Pack animals aren't allowed in Margaret Backcountry

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
A game cart for Norway Pass !
I literally spit up coffee laughing :)

Viable Options:

: Helicopter
: (3) Buddies & 2-Days
: Pack Mules ***Dependent on where you get it. But still a huge help for miles

Pack animals aren't allowed in Margaret Backcountry
I had that same thought when I read the post.  We're going up to scout in about 2 weeks and I'll see for myself whether a game cart (they have some nice one wheel carts with a disk brake) is feasible on any worthwhile stretches of trail.  I still can't get a straight answer about whether or not it's allowed but it doesn't matter until I see the trails for myself.  We're gonna go in both from the lake and from the NP trailhead on separate trips.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
I honestly would stick to pack frames. There are some decent trails in the unit and some not so good trails. Some of the unit gets very steep. Off trail travel is tons of blow downs and brushy and steep.  My opinion is the cart would not be worth it. It would cause my harm then good. Best advise is to get use to hauling in your frame because if you get one I'm pretty sure that's how it will be hauled out. And have a couple people lined up to start packing meat.
We did a cow hunt in Mt. Whittier a few years back. Dropped a cow. It took 23 hours to get it out. Only 2 hours rest. Only 2 of us packing. Mid October and it reached over 80 degrees. Definitely bone out the meat.
Last year we dropped a cow in Norway pass in the morning and didn't get out till the next day. That was 3 people hauling. And weather was complete oposite. Snow, rain, wind. So be prepared for weather to the extremes. Elk are in there but success rates are low for a lot of reasons for permit holders. Being prepared for everything mentally and physically can give a better advantage
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »
I honestly would stick to pack frames. There are some decent trails in the unit and some not so good trails. Some of the unit gets very steep. Off trail travel is tons of blow downs and brushy and steep.  My opinion is the cart would not be worth it. It would cause my harm then good. Best advise is to get use to hauling in your frame because if you get one I'm pretty sure that's how it will be hauled out. And have a couple people lined up to start packing meat.
We did a cow hunt in Mt. Whittier a few years back. Dropped a cow. It took 23 hours to get it out. Only 2 hours rest. Only 2 of us packing. Mid October and it reached over 80 degrees. Definitely bone out the meat.
Last year we dropped a cow in Norway pass in the morning and didn't get out till the next day. That was 3 people hauling. And weather was complete oposite. Snow, rain, wind. So be prepared for weather to the extremes. Elk are in there but success rates are low for a lot of reasons for permit holders. Being prepared for everything mentally and physically can give a better advantage

That all sounds really very reasonable.  We talked about having a rig at both ends; one at the Coldwater Lake Parking Lot (assuming we take a boat across) and another at the Norway Pass Trailhead just in case we end up closer to there while hunting. That seems like a good idea?   

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
We hiked from Norway Pass Trailhead today and made it to Panhandle lake before we had to head back.  Game cart is not possible.  There's some great trail from Bear pass to the parking lot for a cart, but from Bear Pass on it's pretty gnarly. 

Offline BA Mongor

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »
At least you got in there to see what it's like from a trail. It sounded like you've never been in there before. It's very pretty country, with some bulls thinking that they're mountain goats !!!

Offline bucksnort

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
My son drew the goat tag in there this year so we will be enjoying the workout also!

Offline BA Mongor

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
Snort,

That's awesome about your boy drawing that tag !!!
Have fun and Be Safe.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Hit some goat country this weekend with my favorite hunting partner. Not nearly the elevation or mileage as Norway Pass but it felt good getting out there.

My first scouting trip is scheduled for 8/10. I plan to use it as a dry run for the trip. Boat up the lake, pack into camp, hit the ridges, couple days of scouting and back out.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline BA Mongor

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
Very Cool !
Great pic :)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »
 :)   Makes my heart feel good seeing parents getting their kids involved in the outdoors.    :tup:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the info and Pm's they are appreciated.

Camp site is reserved for the season.

Right now its looking like ill have 1 "ok" packer... but beggars cant be choosers.

You put one on the ground. I’ll be more then happy to come help you pack it out. Only thing I ask. Share a cold beverage once done. Pm me if your interested.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]