collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: General Tag Assassin  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Dtray332

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: General Tag Assassin
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
You can park anywhere you want and bail in. Trailheads will generally get you deeper quicker but that don't mean you're going to go straight to Elk. I'm sure it sounds like we are trying to detour you but that is not the case just want you to have realistic expectations. I wish you luck and I hope you are able to enjoy an unmolested hunt.

Thanks.  I do agree that trails get you deeper quicker. I've been looking at maps and trying to figure areas with good terrain where you can take a trail in, then break off. But I'm sure that is what everyone does. Seems like you can't go a half mile off trail without hitting another trail or road. I definitely expect to run into other hunters. Moving up here last month put me behind the 8 ball on knowing where to go. So this year will be eliminating areas for next year and spending a lot of time on the ground. Looking to join an archery club to network for next year. Wife hates the thought of me going into the mountains for 3 or 4 days alone even though I have an extensive background in back country and survival. I spent 20 years in SOF doing it, now I'm looking forward to doing it without all the body armor and Kevlar helmet. But to all of you on this forum that have been entertaining my question, thanks you very much and it is really appreciated. 
It's only trouble if you get caught. Otherwise it is an adventure.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
Best bet use google earth to find trails and then check to see if there are regular roads close by or just old skidders. If its old skidders most people won't drive down them and that's the majority of what people do. There are also quite a few of us that will hike the old skidder roads. Sometimes they go 100 yards and dead end and sometimes they go 10-15 miles. From what I have learned the animals use these old nasty skidders as travel corridors quite frequently. As stated, finding animals (especially elk), isn't always the easiest thing to do. Make sure any spot you park at you have the appropriate permit to park there, ie do you just need my vehicle use pass from buying my tags or do you need the stupid discover pass. Other than that. Just hit it hard and as often as you can. Now would be the best time to be out setting up cams and checking areas for animal activity so you can try to zero in on a good location come hunting season.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
Best bet use google earth to find trails and then check to see if there are regular roads close by or just old skidders. If its old skidders most people won't drive down them and that's the majority of what people do. There are also quite a few of us that will hike the old skidder roads. Sometimes they go 100 yards and dead end and sometimes they go 10-15 miles. From what I have learned the animals use these old nasty skidders as travel corridors quite frequently. As stated, finding animals (especially elk), isn't always the easiest thing to do. Make sure any spot you park at you have the appropriate permit to park there, ie do you just need my vehicle use pass from buying my tags or do you need the stupid discover pass. Other than that. Just hit it hard and as often as you can. Now would be the best time to be out setting up cams and checking areas for animal activity so you can try to zero in on a good location come hunting season.

Dtray332, this is very good advice. What weapon will you be using? Do you have hunting experience?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
Funkster  I plan to hunt archery for elk, then modern firearms for deer. Yes I do have hunting experience. Spent a fair amount of time hunting in Colorado and most recently in western Africa. But for the last 9 years I have been living in Florida, so the bulk of my hunting has been underwater in the form of spearfishing. I'm looking forward to getting back out in the mountains. Using the next 2 months for scouting and getting used to the altitude change.

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
Are there really no elk in GMU 448? I was looking at in on a topo map and google earth. Has great looking terrain. Pulled up the stats from 2016, not a single elk taken out of it.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
Dtray332, archery for elk is a lot of fun. Nothing like calling in a rutting bull. It sounds like you’re doing the right things as far as pre prep is concerned, checking maps, satellite images, topography and checking harvest reports. On the west side, the SW region holds the majority of elk. Draw back is most of the land is owned by private timber companies and you have to purchase an access pass. Most of those passes are sold out but you could probably still get a ST.Helens tree farm pass. The other draw back is a lot of those herds have been hit hard with hoof rot and to many special permits allotted to reduced the herds. The herds are decimated and the hunting isn’t close to what it used to be. The elk are still there but are much harder to hunt. IMO, the best bet if you don’t have a private timber company access pass is 560. That unit will give you ample public land, camping and hunting opportunities. Elk are big and they leave sign where they have been, if you can find fresh sign, keep those spots marked and keep checking them for activity.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Another thing you could do is look for people who have big fields as part of their property, within your unit, and stop by to see if they have issues with elk and if they will allow you to hunt it. A lot might say no but you never know you might find one that is tired of mending fences because of the elk and allow you to hunt their property just so they can possibly get 1 more out of the herd and possibly get the herd to move off for a bit. Its rough out in those areas though because most of those people are either hunters themselves, have family that hunts the land, or are tree huggers and the elk are too beautiful and majestic to kill lol.

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:55 PM »
Going to head out to do some scouting next week in 560 and 516. During hunting season, is the Gifford Pinchot National Forrest and Mount Adams Wilderness Area walk in only? Or can I expect to see ATVs zipping all over the place.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
Going to head out to do some scouting next week in 560 and 516. During hunting season, is the Gifford Pinchot National Forrest and Mount Adams Wilderness Area walk in only? Or can I expect to see ATVs zipping all over the place.

ATVs should only be on roads or trails open to them. Motors as well as wheeled vehicles are both prohibited in Wilderness areas.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »

ATVs should only be on roads or trails open to them. Motors as well as wheeled vehicles are both prohibited in Wilderness areas.
Read up on the ATV and dirtbike regs. A HUGE section of Gifford Pinchot National forrest they can't ride even on the roads unless the bike or ATV has been legalized for the street. IE rearview mirrors, license plate, etc. I hope you don't have a nice rig. That's why I haven't traded in my 2001 tundra. Scratched and beat but I can take her down a lot of roads that are closing in with brush or that are washed pretty bad that most guys wouldn't drive down. That can often get you a few extra miles back and then it comes to a point where you have to walk.

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
I will be trudging down the trail in y 2004 GMC Z71. But it does only have 120K miles on her.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »
There are a lot of trails in the Gifford Pinchot that are open to motorcycles, but not ATV's, so just be aware of that.

Offline Dtray332

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »
Spent all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday until just before lunch scouting in 516 and 560. There are a lot of people out there. Did find some sign in some deep draws. Nothing that really made me want to come back, but will if I can't find anything better. Saw a few cows, no bulls or spikes. I'm heading to Alaska on Friday and will be back Tuesday night. Going to get back out the 2nd and 3rd week of August.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]