collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What Should You Do 2018; Scenario #5  (Read 2181 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
What Should You Do 2018; Scenario #5
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Date: Late October
Time: Mid-Morning
State: An elk state
Season: Modern Firearm
Tag: Bull only; 3 PT or better
Solo Hunt
Hunting Pressure: Minimal on the hillside you’re hunting but you did hear one shot way, way up on the ridge above you right after daylight.   

You park your truck on a landing ½ way in on an old skid road and walk the rest of the way (about ½ mile) in the dark to the end of the old road.  From there, you head up the side hill, over the ridge, drop down and now are side hilling back the other side of the mountain in the direction you’ve parked on the other side.  As mentioned above, right after daylight you hear one shot up on the ridge probably 1/3 of a mile ahead of you.  Around 0830, you detect movement up to your right, moving down the side hill.  Bull, nice one!  Once he steps into a decent shooting lane, you pull the trigger and the elk stumbles and falls down the hill side.  Approaching cautiously, you find the nice 6 point is down for the count and prepare to get busy on dressing him out.  WTH?  You see an obvious bullet hole in one of his sides and upon further examination, it’s not from your shot (your shot went in behind the left shoulder and exited high on the right shoulder).  “Hey, hey, coming down” (you hear a hunter shout).  It appears another hunter had gotten a bad hit on this bull right after daylight and was attempting to track him when he heard you shoot and headed down your way.  He now saying the bull is his as he shot it first and was in the process of tracking it.  What should/do you do?  Is this bull his or yours?  The other hunter is adamant about claiming/tagging this bull since he shot it first. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
Re: What Should You Do 2018; Scenario #5
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
First, I'm not dying over an elk. I'm not even having a heated discussion with a stranger who is armed. I have too many future hunts for that kind of BS.

Second, my response is flavored with my perception of "how wounded" the bull was before I shot and my perception of the other hunter's likelihood of recovery. It's also tempered with how much I want to continue hunting, how many days I have left to hunt, and the packout--just analyzing costs and benefits of the ensuing discussion/argument.

Third, then I'd start my cross examination with open and closed questions, to test the other hunter's desire to escalate the situation.

I don't know the outcome, but the methodology would be something like that.

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:37:37 AM »
Legally the bull is yours as you placed the kill shot. Not worth getting shot over. Would have to be in the situation to decide what I would do. If the other hunter was a jerk I would be more likely to make a call to authorities and keep my elk. If they seemed like a quality hunter more likely to give them the elk as they were tracking it and close. I would have to feel confident they were going to get another shot in it.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
If I notched my tag and had it attached to the animal prior to the other hunters arrival I would not be giving it up easily. If we both arrived at the kill sight simultaneously (or close to) I would certainly talk it out with the other hunter. In either situation I would be contacting an LE/Warden to help sort the mess out. If the other hunter was not willing to do this I would be less reasonable with them.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Let the other guy tag it, by the law its his bull, help him break it down and pack it out. If its me and someone helps me out they will be getting some meat equivalent to help given so if you help pack a quarter (its yours). If you go back in and help on multiple trips your good for an equal share. I am a firm believer even though its my tag my buddies get their share of the animal and that person put their hunt on hold to help me.  Now I'm a tad idealistic so I would still help even if sharing the meat was not discussed. 

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
Had this exact same thing happen to a friend who was mule deer hunting in Eastern Washington years ago.  The other guy was adamant the buck was his.  My buddy finally let him take it.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
1) I don't want a shot elk/deer, that's like sloppy seconds
2) Go archery, they wouldn't hear your shot so no confrontation
3) tag em quickly (he who gets the tag on first owns the animal) that may not exactly how the law is written, but that's how the law is applied

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
Guess I'm old school.  First blood wins.  "Here's your bull sir, glad I could help." Then I'd go find another.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
Guess I'm old school.  First blood wins.  "Here's your bull sir, glad I could help." Then I'd go find another.

:yeah: bad shot or not. Mistakes happen. We all have made them. First blood wins the prize. You just happened to end the trailing job a lot sooner. Shake hands and go on your way. Same thing if you and a buddy was hunting together. He shot first and made a bad shot. You both trail it. You see it and put it down. You gonna argue that it’s your bull or his. Only difference is this is with a stranger. Just my  :twocents:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
 :yeah:  sounds like the guy was hot on the trail anyways so it's not like it was hours after the fact.

Only hickup I could see is if my tag had already been punched.  If that was the case I'd end up helping the guy get it out and then having him either write me a statement or having him aid me in getting a new tag from the game department. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Holg3107

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
Unless the other persons shot was a VERY clearly non vital shot IE: blew a front leg off or the like. I am happily turning the bull over to the other person assuming my tag has not been punched. If my tag has been punched well talk it through and come up with an agreement.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
Based on the time of year the bull has been on his feet over an hour before running into me. From the description the bull is still moving fine with no indication of being wounded. Legally, my bull.

I would hope in this situation I would have either the hunter approaching quickly, ( not verified, in description) or have seen and identified immediately that the first shot was not mine in which case I would postpone tagging as long as responsible,  to decide whether another hunter was following or not. If that works out, I always follow the first blood rule. But once the tag is cut, the animal won't leave my possession until I have assurances I will be able to continue hunting.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
Not worth the argument.  He clearly beat you to an elk, let him have it.  He had a bad shot and was fortunate enough to have another hunter around to help out.

Now, as for helping... That decision may be based upon the attitude...And how much time I have left in the season to notch my own tag.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
If the hunter came down to yell at you that it was his bull then he was right on the bulls butt pushing it, so the bull musta been pretty bad off or the hunter would be hours down track.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal