collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How big of a pack for deer?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How big of a pack for deer?
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
I'd like to get a new pack capable of packing a whole deboned deer in one trip.  What size should I be looking at?  Want something large enough to pack all the normal gear and the meat without making a second trip.  Internal or external frame?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
Re: How big of a pack for deer?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
Are you just day hunting, or backpacking camp in?

Boned out, you don't need a ton of space, if you're just day hunting.   You can also just use a pack frame.

As a point of reference, I can fit an entire quartered mule deer in my Kuiu 6000 cubic inch backpack.  Boned out, I think you could get down into the 3K-5K ci range if inside the bag.   

If you go the method of packing the meat between pack and frame, then you can go even smaller on bag size if just day hunting.  I have an 1800 ci bag for my Kuiu ultra that if I'm hunting with that bag on the frame, I attach the meat between the frame and bag.  In that case, bag capacity isn't as important.   You can do the same with many other pack brands that utilize a frame that can detach from the pack.

If you're backpacking, and in good enough shape, you can even get the meat between the bag and frame, and haul all of your camp out in the bag without making a second trip.  25 years ago I could do that, but these days I just make the second trip for camp....

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:31:19 PM »
EXO 3500 or 5500 depending on how much junk you take.  Most of the best hauler packs have the ability to adjust to the load so you can take as much meat as you can carry or a smaller load.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
My tenzing 4000 is more than capable of that and they pop up at a good price on camofire here and there
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
My tenzing 4000 is more than capable of that and they pop up at a good price on camofire here and there
Plus 1 on the Tenzing. I have the 5000 and there is plenty of room.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Good deal, thanks guys. 

Yeah, not planning on backpack camping at this point.  Just hauling hunting gear and meat.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »
If looking for a lower budget option, one of my buddies just carries an Alps Outdoorz Commander frame and straps a duffel or waterproof liner bag in it to hold his day gear.  Alps sells various accessory bags as well that fit the frame.   I've done the same with a LL Bean Carryall.   I like the Alps fit better, and it holds meat better with it's meat shelf.   Less expensive options than a premium backpack, if you're just day hunting. 

If you think you'll get into elk as well, or eventually do backpack trips then yes the premium brands like Kifaru, MR, Exo, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, etc. might make sense later down the road.   

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
Exo Mountain Gear 3500.  You'll never look back and won't need to upgrade  ;)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »

@Rainier10
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
 :chuckle:
Thanks for the mention Josh.

So normally I just go out for the day. I have a bullpac. It’s just a framed packboard. Fits me great wide padded shoulder straps and waist belt. I put one game bag on it, one small fanny pack and about 20’ of paracord. On one side of the waist belt I’ve added a water bottle holder. All my knives, gear and food goes in the fanny pack strapped to the frame.  I have put a whole doe hide and all on it once. 105 pounds all said and done, deer, pack and fanny pack. Now I always go gutless and debone.

Now on the goat hunt with Josh I needed a pack with a bag to get all of our gear in, tent sleeping bag, the works. I borrowed a friends tenzing and it just didn’t work for me. Not sure if I just didn’t have it adjusted right or what. Going in wasn’t bad but coming out with it full of goat meat was brutal on my shoulders and back.

I’m sure it’s like anything. Some people love them some don’t. Same goes for boots, binocs or whatever.

I would strongly suggest borrowing and trying something out before buying.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »

So normally I just go out for the day. I have a bullpac. It’s just a framed packboard. Fits me great wide padded shoulder straps and waist belt. I put one game bag on it, one small fanny pack and about 20’ of paracord. On one side of the waist belt I’ve added a water bottle holder. All my knives, gear and food goes in the fanny pack strapped to the frame.  I have put a whole doe hide and all on it once. 105 pounds all said and done, deer, pack and fanny pack. Now I always go gutless and debone.

Now on the goat hunt with Josh I needed a pack with a bag to get all of our gear in, tent sleeping bag, the works. I borrowed a friends tenzing and it just didn’t work for me. Not sure if I just didn’t have it adjusted right or what. Going in wasn’t bad but coming out with it full of goat meat was brutal on my shoulders and back.

I’m sure it’s like anything. Some people love them some don’t. Same goes for boots, binocs or whatever.

I'm not sure if this is why, but the 6000 is for people over 6 feet tall and the 5000 is for people under 6 feet. Could that be why? I wore that pack for 16 days last year and compared to my old Army ruck it's really nice

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »

I'm not sure if this is why, but the 6000 is for people over 6 feet tall and the 5000 is for people under 6 feet. Could that be why? I wore that pack for 16 days last year and compared to my old Army ruck it's really nice
The reason it doesn’t work is because it doesn’t have functional load lifters. The full load rode on his shoulders rather than his hips.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »
My bullpac doesn’t have load lifters but it does have way more padding on the shoulder straps and a way more padding on the waist belt. I also wear it all the time so it is definitely adjusted for me. The guy that had the tenzing pack that I borrowed was basically the same size as me.

It was a brutally long day when josh got his goat. He is 8’2” tall, okay maybe 6’2”, he  might even be 6’4”, he’s tall i know that and he was in a hurry to get to cell service and high as a kite on adrenaline after shooting that goat. He was feeling no pain. I know his pack was heavier, I just couldn’t keep up, my pack was killing me. I’m guessing long day and not adjusted right. Tenzing obviously works for some. Just not me that day.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys.  Really appreciate all the replies.  I need to do some research and try some on for size it sounds like.  :tup:

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
Kifaru Reckoning!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]