collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd Deer Tag - Washtucna  (Read 1964 times)

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
2nd Deer Tag - Washtucna
« on: June 23, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »
This year my 13 year old son and I are planning on an all meat hunt which would include getting 2 deer in the Connell area...hopefully. I haven’t been there in years and only hunted on private land but no longer have those contacts. We are planning to hunt the “Feel Free To Hunt” land and are looking to go over to do some scouting in between some fly fishing soon.
Early plan is to go after 2 does in GMU 381 Kahlotus and call it a morning come October 13th. Yeah high hopes but I would look like a hero to my son if I can pull this off  :IBCOOL: I am going to ask for some insight and or direction to go in, for those of you with more experience in the area that don’t mind. I do know most, 99% of the land is private and hard to get on that’s why I’m heading over to check out the Feel Free to hunt parcels. If I remember right these parcels will hold a lot of does, please correct me if I’m wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2nd Deer Tag - Washtucna
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
You will have no problem filling your tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:55:00 AM »
I haven't hunted that area but what I have found is that the first couple of days is where you "see" where the deer are at and then the second weekend when there is way less traffic you can go to those same spots and get a good shot at some does.

Good luck and please come back to this thread after the hunt and tell us how you do.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
My group put in for those tags. We have drawn the Almota 2nd deer tags the last 2 years but this year they combined a few units to create the Washtuchna. We found a rancher who allowed us to fill those tags after the opening weekend. He only allows employees and family to hunt his land opening weekend but after that we had lots of access and filled 3 doe tags easily. He still preferred no bucks taken though.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
You will have no problem filling your tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I’m hoping for. Goal is to fill these tags after early Archery Elk in the Colckum area and the following month carve up a couple deer and fill the freezer.

Go Cougs!

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
I haven't hunted that area but what I have found is that the first couple of days is where you "see" where the deer are at and then the second weekend when there is way less traffic you can go to those same spots and get a good shot at some does.

Good luck and please come back to this thread after the hunt and tell us how you do.

Yeah, I may have to take a look at my schedule/calendar and make some arrangements for after opening weekend or go in the middle of the week. I might be able to secure some private land with minimal pressure and or make the opening weekend another scouting trip  :dunno: I’ll keep ya posted.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »
I'll send you a PM with some info.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
I'll send you a PM with some info.
Info received I’ll get back to you when I’m freed up from family commitments tonight.

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
I've hunted 381 late muzzy the last couple years.  I had a hard time getting the OK on the written permission properties. Don't let that get you down though you will see deer and you will see them on feel free to hunt land.  I put in for that tag as well but wasn't as lucky.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]