collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: DA 2017 2nd deer North Chelan  (Read 2784 times)

Offline 10mmg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
DA 2017 2nd deer North Chelan
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
Drew an anterless tag for 2nd deer. In process of trying connect with private land owners to hunt. If anyone has need of doe removal in that area without worrying about some jack weed hunter I would appreciate a point I think the right direction. I figure this is the electronic version of knocking on doors.

Thanks

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: DA 2017 2nd deer North Chelan
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
10mmg...not sure where you are from or where you are living now, but a post on HuntWa is not an electronic version of knocking on doors, especially for the Lake Chelan North 2nd deer tag (my family has drawn it 5 times in the last 3 years...including 3 this year...and I have family that lives in the apple orchards in Manson). I highly recommend you go talk to the wineries, and offer to only hunt the first hour of daylight (tourist start showing up mid-morning) and do not wear camo...you must wear hunter orange while hunting, but then take it off...heck, you will probably want to wear shorts and a t-shirt anyway and have a plan to get the deer cooled down ASAP. Temps will be in the 100's. Luckily for us I just take it to my Dad's or brothers, get the hide off and break them down and put the boned out meat in the fridge. If you are staying over there, look at renting a Condo that has a kitchen, de-bone it in the field and put the meat in the fridge right away. Also, there is a meat cutter up Navarre Coulee that has cold storage. Give them a call and see if you can take it there if needed (plus they can use the business).

Your best bet is to call Dave Volson at the WDFW Wenatchee office or Scott Fitkin in the Methow Office and ask them if any orchardist or vinyards complain of deer damage. Remember this is a hunt on PRIVATE LANDS ONLY, no public land at all even if its inside the boundaries of the hunt zone...as it is a way to help the orchardist and wineries. Good luck, and if we tag out early I'll pass along more info on where to go/knock on real doors...but since my 71 year old dad and both my boys drew this tag this year I need to help them fill their tags first.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
Last year I heard a vineyard looking for permittees on KOZI radio Lake Chelan during the Second Cup of Coffee program, which is a morning call in for people selling stuff and looking to buy as well as offering services.  You might try a call in to the program, there is a link on their website to listen on mobile.  http://kozi.com/
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline 10mmg

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
Grade: Thanks for the information. My folks have a house in Manson and I will be there the 12-25 of August. Prior to posting/applying I had reached out to a couple of their friends with orchard contacts but wanted to make sure I covered my basis in case those didn’t produce. I know the tag is intended to reduce damage to the orchards and being familiar with the area you have to be careful with your shots. Also knowing it’s a fairly small community I try to get a lay of the land so I don’t step on any toes. No disrespect intended in my question. Good luck to you and your family this fall.
Double: Thanks for the tip. I will look into kozi

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
No worries 10mmg...I wasn't offended, I was just trying to convey that HuntWa members probably won't have too much info since the hunt is all private lands in orchards and vinyards and like you said, its a small community.

Good luck and I highly recommend calling the vinyards, they are the ones who complain the most about the deer!

Grade

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
If you're able to get access, the meat will be awesome. I picked up a doe that had been hit by a car right outside a vineyard in Manson last year and it was the best game meat I've had before. It was sweet and slightly fruity. Good luck!

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
10mmg did you happen to be driving around the area this weekend in a little black SUV checking spots out with your wife? 
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline 10mmg

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
Duck,
It wasn’t me in the SUV this time. I was driving around over the 4th of July in my pick up checking things out.

Grade,
Thanks for the info I’ll reach out to the vinyards for sure. If I look up Navarre as well for some cut and wrap. Happy to support the local guy. Based on your experience are distances close up on this hunt? I know the country is open but was wondering if the distances might better warrant close range weapon than my 06.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
Yes...most distances will be well within bow range, and you can usually set up and see their access points (holes in fences, ect) and of course water is a big issue, as they tend to drink from the sprinklers...you can spot them in the orchards and put an easy sneak on them by walking in the row next to them and then slide between trees. If the orchardist lets you actually hunt in the orchard. Most give permission to hunt around the orchard, within the deer fence. We are probably going to use muzzleloaders so the boys can get some experience before their youth muzzy permits in late Sept occurs, or my oldest might use his bow for fun, but your 06 will work, lots of cherry orchards around that use water canons so hearing a boom isn't that big of a deal.

Grade

Offline 10mmg

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »
Thanks Grade I really appreciate the Intel.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]